Just venting a bit

mel&me

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just venting a little, Had kidani savanna view 1 bedroom for September 1st to 8th. Had to give it up and change dates to the week after. Amber put in for vacation 3 months ago and her boss approved it. She got a letter at work from union Friday stating she was not allowed to take off that week as per rules in employee contract. On page 72 of agreement there is a paragraph saying that, she never knew. I get its part of the agreement but why did they approve it to begin with. And wait until now to say something. Plane tickets, dining reservations, car rental. All need to be changed. Room is not available had to change to SSR. No more fireworks desert party etc. etc. Can’t even express how P.O.ed we are.

Who approved the request? Was it management or someone from the union? I understand that the contract is law here, but I'd be looking through all the channels and find a loophole to keep it approved.

Keep us updated.

Who approved the request? Was it management or someone from the union? I understand that the contract is law here, but I'd be looking through all the channels and find a loophole to keep it approved.

Keep us updated.

Her boss, who as it turns out is a new boss last 6 months, seems he did not know either, My mistake she found out Thursday night and confronted him Friday went in to see what was up. She hunted down union rep also. the rep told her she could not have off no exceptions.

Her boss, who as it turns out is a new boss last 6 months, seems he did not know either, My mistake she found out Thursday night and confronted him Friday went in to see what was up. She hunted down union rep also. the rep told her she could not have off no exceptions.

That's horrible. I'd be having the union rep and the boss go at it. In times like these, there's always someone higher. May get nowhere, but doesn't hurt to try.

Union rep said all he had too. Its in the rules, take off and your out of a job. No Exceptions My biggest issue is why did they wait so long to tell her.

What job had in a contract a specific date in time? Especially september?

School maintenance and there are 3 weeks listed last week of august first week September and 1 other.
It was stated in contract buried in a single paragraph on page 72,

Union rep said all he had too. Its in the rules, take off and your out of a job. No Exceptions My biggest issue is why did they wait so long to tell her.
My guess would be that it escaped notice until now and when the “right” person found it, it was like :scared1: . The fault here lies with the new boss who approved the request in error, having been inadequately familiar with the policy. (S)he probably feels terrible and there may be some disciplinary action higher up for the mistake but this person will be powerless to make good on the approval.

FWIW, I’m sure the rules on vacation time are clearly defined somewhere in the collective bargaining agreement your wife is a party to (and undoubtedly has access to somewhere). Unwittingly (just like the new boss) she was also in error to request those days. Disappointing, but I hope you enjoy your trip anyway. :wave2:

Agree with others, it is time to accept that mistakes were made by your daughter and the supervisor and move on. Yes, the supervisor should have been aware of the 3 weeks with no vacation, but so should your daughter. You don’t want your daughter to be viewed negatively in the workplace because of her reaction to this issue.

Keep checking the resort availability tool for the new week. I just booked my son a trip that week. BY checking the resort availability tool multiple times per day, I have seen some great reservations open up.

It is time to make lemonade out of lemons. It can still be a great trip :)

It really stinks to have to change plans.

But I agree that Amber should've been more familiar with what's in her contract. How long has she held the job?

They can't just change it for her - in fairness to other members who've not been able to take that week.

I'm glad you get to go on your trip at another time.

My DH held a management position in a big vacation area at one time and was unable to take vacation in the summer or on school vacations. That aspect of the job was tough, but it was what it was. We vacationed around it.

Yes, boss should have known. BUT, if the boss has only been there for 6 months, I'm not surprised they didn't realize that was the policy. But, the employee should also know the policy. It doesn't matter that it's buried on page 72.

Why it took so long, someone is probably just now looking at the time frame in question and realized the problem.

Does it suck? Absolutely. Use it as a learning experience though... at least read the policies of your employer. You never know when they might apply to you.

Just wanted to say that many “bosses” know nothing about personal policies etc. in fact my boss didnt even know my pay scale , didn‘t hire me, until we discussed pay in my annual. By us all personal stuff is handled via HR. I once gave him a sick note. He didnt know what to do with it. Bosses by us do not deal in any disciplinary/HR stuff. Just actual job stuff

Yes, boss should have known. BUT, if the boss has only been there for 6 months, I'm not surprised they didn't realize that was the policy. But, the employee should also know the policy. It doesn't matter that it's buried on page 72.

Why it took so long, someone is probably just now looking at the time frame in question and realized the problem.

Does it suck? Absolutely. Use it as a learning experience though... at least read the policies of your employer. You never know when they might apply to you.

This. One thousand times this.

Yes, it stinks, but it is in a contract that she probably signed and agreed to.

Just offering you a :hug: I know about changing plans; not fun sometimes. Maybe you can plan other "special" things on your new dates.

And if this was approved 3 months ago it seems the boss had only been there 3 months at that point. How long had the daughter been there at that point? If you've been there long enough to request vacation time, haven't you had enough time to read through up to page 72?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter