Keenz wagon or similar wagon as wheelchair

luvmyprincesses

Earning My Ears
I saw a family who had their wagon stroller two weeks ago when we were at MK. I need one for my daughter. I thought they were not allowed. We go often, as we live close and are AP holders. Has anyone on here had experience getting into the parks with a Keenz wagon?

Wagons are not allowed in Disney parks. If your child has a disability, please call Disney Disability Services at 407-560-2547. They will be more than willing to answer your questions, handle your concerns and offer suggestions.

I saw a family who had their wagon stroller two weeks ago when we were at MK. I need one for my daughter. I thought they were not allowed. We go often, as we live close and are AP holders. Has anyone on here had experience getting into the parks with a Keenz wagon?
The wagons are not allowed generally, but can be allowed for special needs. You will need to speak with a CM at Guest Services to get a wheelchair tag for your wagon. Make sure to always use it in the "push" position in front of you. It is not allowed to use a wagon pulled behind you. Just to be extra sure about this, you might want to give Disney a call before your trip to confirm that this will still be allowed.

The wagons are not allowed generally, but can be allowed for special needs. You will need to speak with a CM at Guest Services to get a wheelchair tag for your wagon. Make sure to always use it in the "push" position in front of you. It is not allowed to use a wagon pulled behind you. Just to be extra sure about this, you might want to give Disney a call before your trip to confirm that this will still be allowed.

Why do they allow this? I bet it's a huge headache for the CMs in the park, and the people using a wagon in the parks probabaly get a lot of anger directed at them as well? If I needed something like this for my child, I'd try to find an alternate first, just so there's less chance of confrontation.

Why do they allow this? I bet it's a huge headache for the CMs in the park, and the people using a wagon in the parks probabaly get a lot of anger directed at them as well? If I needed something like this for my child, I'd try to find an alternate first, just so there's less chance of confrontation.
They allow it because the wagons are being used as 'stroller wheelchairs' for a disabled child. It is no more headache for a CM to distribute a wheelchair tag for a wagon than for a regular stroller. There aren't that many in the parks on any given day that we've seen -- and I'm referring to DLR here. The 'SUV Stroller Wagons' were eliminated when Disney made the recent rules about stroller size. So the only wagons we've seen in the parks since then have had wheelchair tags clearly visible. These wagons were hardly clogging up the walkways or blocking traffic, and it was clear that the wagons were medically necessary, so there was no anger or confrontation that we ever saw. Maybe a raised eyebrow or two until the wheelchair tag became visible.

OP - the stroller-wagons are officially prohibited at WDW: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

That said, they have been seen in the parks since the ban. Whether those have some kind of prior approval, i’m not sure because supposedly they should be stopped at security, well before you can get a stroller-as-wheelchair tag. I have not read any first-hand reports here on the DISboards so i don’t know if there are exceptions or just lax security or what. I recommend that you contact WDW Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com to discuss your family’s situation and options. I would hate for you to show up expecting an exception and then be denied. Good luck.

Some people are able to get approval to take the wagons in, but most are not, even if being used for a disbled child. Most of the people ive seen get them approved have a ton of medical equipment, usually ventilators. You wont know for sure if you can take it into the park until the day of arrival. You can try to take it in and possibly get it approved, but make sure to have a backup plan in case you are denied.

If the wagon is used as a mobility aid, use of it is protected by the ADA. That’s at least what Federal Highway teaches in their ADA trainings.

If the wagon is used as a mobility aid, use of it is protected by the ADA. That’s at least what Federal Highway teaches in their ADA trainings.
Businesses can limit or restrict use of specific mobility devices if it is considered a safety concern. That is why WDW does not allow Segways. I believe that since stroller-wagons are generally prohibited, one may need to have specific need for the wagon to use as a mobility device — as PP mentions, additional medical equipment that won’t fit on a standard stroller or wheelchair. I believe the safety concern of the stroller-wagon is the canopy blocks sightlines of both the user and others moving about the parks. There was considerable discussion about the Keenz in particular when the rules changed (was that just last fall? seem so long ago now!).

I can understand the wagon ban because many people were using them in place of strollers and it congested walking areas. Using a wagon for child with specific special needs is a reasonable accommodation and not a convenience. Since they are being allowed when necessary, it seems WDW is doing the right thing. Anyone with a child who needs a respirator or has a child in a hip cast needs a wagon. And if a member of the public can’t have a little empathy, they have bigger problems than a trip to WDW can fix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter