Keep 7018 on the Dream or change?

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
I went with a Gty cabin for the first time and got 7018, cat 8C, exactly what I paid for. I am not disappointed about that, but I just saw that the cabin I have is a connecting cabin, and I know from previous experience that connecting cabins are a bit more noisy when it comes to hearing your immediate neighbors. It also is on the opposite side of the ship we are used to staying on--no big deal really, just will be different.

Our cruise is in late January and there are not a lot of cabins left to choose from, but there are some, so I am not sure if I should try for something else or stick with what I have. I wouldn't even mind if I had to pay a little bit more.

Our last sailing was in a secret verandah on the Magic and we loved being in the back of the ship, but I understand that is not the best location on the Dream as far as sound is concerned. Any suggestions on cabins on the Dream? Might it be best to wait and see about getting an upgrade at the port?

Last edited:
First, all cabins on the ship adjoin - that just means next to, across the hall directly, or across the hall diagonally. You have one that connects. I have personally never had issues with noise that way - the worst next door noise was a snorer in the non-connecting cabin next to mine.

Unlike RCCL, DCL will not change an assigned cabin just because you call and complain. If you wanted to upgrade now, you could certainly call and change your category (assuming you did 8C GTY and not OGT - I don’t think you can change a *GT cabin at all) to a higher level for paying the difference.

There is no guarantee there will be upgrades available at the port. I have cruised DCL 4 times so far and every time the Captain Mickey says the ship is full sign has been up.

Yes, mine is a connecting cabin, and I changed my original post to reflect that,and I have had a connecting cabin before. I felt we could hear our neighbors more so than in any other cabin we have had.

I don't think I mentioned anything about calling and complaining to get my cabin changed. I am not upset or disappointed in what we have been assigned, I just made an observation and was wondering what my options might be if I chose to try for something different.

I second that I've not found connecting rooms any nosier than non-connecting ones.

Me either. I've found that noise is more related to how loud the occupants are than whether it's connecting or not. We've had connecting ones that were very quiet and non-connecting that had very noisy children. I recall having a connecting one once where I told DH that it was probably empty only to see someone coming out of there a day or so later. (EDIT: and one other one I recall that was not connecting where the kids were clearly jumping up and down on the bed or couch while the parents were out and just generally hollering. And sometimes I just can't hear anything over the sound of the steam engine aka DH's snoring beside me).

Last edited:
Been in 7010 on the Dream (connecting deluxe family even further forward) and 8514 on the Fantasy. We love these cabins for their extra space though being forward, you'll feel rough seas more. As PP's have stated even though I have a preference for non-connecting, I have never found a difference in noise between connecting and non-connecting. In fact I find most of the noise comes from above or more so from the halls than a noisy neighbour on either side. Note you have a laundry just a few doors further forward and across the hall. We found this to not be a noise issue and convenient when we took advantage of.

The worst noise I've experienced is the racket from the gym overhead or people who let their kids run around and jump off of the bed above us, not people next door.

I've had connecting rooms before, and the noise hasn't been an issue. I think many times this depends on who your neighbors are more than anything else. However, this is your cruise, you paid for it and should enjoy it, so I would do what you think is best for you and your group. If it makes sense to see if you can call and upgrade, or change rooms, then I would do so.

I think it would help if you provided some of the alternatives you are considering. I really don't think connecting vs. non-connecting on the newer ships makes any difference to noise levels, although I have heard connecting rooms on the new ships are better sound-proofed on the classic ships, so that might explain mixed reports on noisiness.

The two potential downsides I see with your room are that (1) there is lot of rocking motion and vibration that far forward on the dream, but that is only a con if motion bothers you (it did for me; I couldn't sleep a wink in 7508, but my husband said he didn't notice a thing); and (2) you are on the port side, so will have a view of the dock rather than the (in my opinion) more scenic view of the family beach at castaway cay.

On the upside, you will have staterooms above and below you, which is typically less noisy than, say, rooms above a theater or under the pool deck. I also really loved the big porthole with windowsill in the 8C rooms, and the split bath with the round shower, which is available in some room types but not others.

Finally, forward elevators are a bit of a mixed bag. They are less crowded than mid-ship, but they are very far from the main dining rooms and cabanas. They let out onto the adult area on the pool deck, which we found a bit annoying with kids, but I imagine would be very nice if you are just a party of adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter