Keep it 100% Disney or pony up $$$ for 1 universal/Harry Potter day?

OP, unless you're planning to do a great number of buffets and/or character meals or your family are big eaters, consider dropping the dining plan. My sister and I have been here for a week as of today and we haven't even come close to spending one person's worth of dining plan expenses on food each day--much less two person's worth, and we have a table service meal almost every day. I realize that people like the convenience of having everything paid for ahead of time, but, for me, I'd rather have the money--and it's significant.

I agree with PPs that with 10 vacation days, I would do 7 at Disney and 3 at Universal. We usually do this on our trips, and it works out well. And being that you're not traveling until July, you can still adjust your package at Disney accordingly with no penalty.

IMO, the Universal hotels are just as nice (if not nicer, in some cases) than Disney resorts. The convenience is great, and the easy/slow pace of a Universal visit with unlimited express pass is welcomed after 7 crazy days at WDW. We always are able to sleep in and show up whenever we get there, with little to no waits. And with 3 park days, you'll have ample time to visit and re-visit everything.

OP, unless you're planning to do a great number of buffets and/or character meals or your family are big eaters, consider dropping the dining plan. My sister and I have been here for a week as of today and we haven't even come close to spending one person's worth of dining plan expenses on food each day--much less two person's worth, and we have a table service meal almost every day. I realize that people like the convenience of having everything paid for ahead of time, but, for me, I'd rather have the money--and it's significant.

Agree. Something to consider if the "prepaid" idea is really your motivating factor- just buy gift cards for Disney. The money can be used for all food and then shopping...it''ll give you so much more flexibility and serve the same purpose.

You’ve gotten many opinions, lol. For me, 10 days at wdw isn’t too long. Our trips are typically 10-14 days. We like a more relaxed touring plan, and take mid day breaks.
Universal is amazing too. Many of their rides blow Disney out of the water. Disney finally upped their game with Flights of Passage.

For our Universal trips we’ve done it several ways, last time we stayed at a Universal Deluxe hotel to get Unlimited Express Pass and stayed onsite for 3-4 days then went to WDW for 10 days.
We’ve also done just Universal, and bought multi pass for Seaworld and Busch Gardens. With multi pass they will bus you from Seaworld to Busch.

Our next trip we are planning 10 days at Universal. With 3 parks we’ll find plenty to do, and build in some resort days too. I’m not into commando touring. Thinking about adding a Seaworld day.
Our last Universal trip we had a 3 day park to park ticket and still didn’t do everything.

I’d wait a couple of years when your children are a bit older for Universal, and you have more time to spend at Universal. There’s so much more to see than just Harry Potter areas. And with only one day you won’t be able to see it all.

We do individual vacations for each. There is so much to do and the price per day drops the more days you stay. We have done 10-day WDW tix over a 14-day trip. And last summer, we did 10 days at Uni. Just sweet relaxation and fun-fun-fun theme parks. A split stay would be too costly and chaotic for us.

My husband insists on doing a few universal days every trip and is willing to pay the extra money. I was pushing for just one since we have seen Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade before, but he and the kids really want to do two, and it is cheaper on a per day basis.

Why we have not gone to Universal in years. Honestly, all financial.

We have annual passes to Disney, and I have a hard time thinking about paying $1,100 for the four day special for a group of four of us (buy 2 days, get 2 days free). That at least is the Undercover Tourist Price. As you said, add in transportation and food, and you are looking at some nice change.

Or, we can walk into one of the four Disney Parks, or the two water parks, all for no cost.

Now, I have said a few times that if we go when our tickets current APs are expired (or expiring), that is a different story. It is just that as of this point, the timing has just not lined up…

As for 10 days in Disney being too much, I actually do not think so. We go multiple times a year, my only demand being that on each trip, we have to do something new. Might be big, might be small, but always something new.

Personally, I would enjoy the all-inclusiveness of Disney this trip, knowing that sometime in the future, you may want to return with the idea of it being an Universal trip, with perhaps a side day or two to go back and do your favorite Disney things.

Personally, I have this same problem in reverse. We are a Universal family and have spent days in WDW parks during vacation. But, a two day ticket to WDW is expensive as well, and is not enough bang for the buck. So, skip out on Uni until you can give it a fair shake. Easy and relaxed is the way to go, enjoy your time at WDW.

Not sure if it just reads just a bit weird, but not going to Universal for "all financial" reasons, but going to any of the 6 parks at WDW for "no cost" comes off just a bit incorrect. I priced 4 WDW annual passes for my family, and it came up to a little over $4K...anyway, happy holidays to all! Slow down, relax, and enjoy wherever you are!

I have decided to split our holiday in February down the middle. 9 full days = 3 at Universal, 3 at Disney, 1 day each at Busch and SeaWorld and one day to relax. On top of that we have after hours booked at MK and AK and early morning at DHS so all rides can be achieved at Disney.

My oldest wants to do SeaWorld for Mako and Infinty and Universal for Hulk and Rip Ride, my youngest wants to do Universal for HP and Busch for Seasame Street. My choice is Busch and SeaWorld for the roller coasters and the Mrs wants Disney as she has never done Epcot and AK.

Out of everything the HP area is probably the only one area we all agree on as a family that is a must do for us.

I have decided to split our holiday in February down the middle. 9 full days = 3 at Universal, 3 at Disney, 1 day each at Busch and SeaWorld and one day to relax. On top of that we have after hours booked at MK and AK and early morning at DHS so all rides can be achieved at Disney.

My oldest wants to do SeaWorld for Mako and Infinty and Universal for Hulk and Rip Ride, my youngest wants to do Universal for HP and Busch for Seasame Street. My choice is Busch and SeaWorld for the roller coasters and the Mrs wants Disney as she has never done Epcot and AK.

Out of everything the HP area is probably the only one area we all agree on as a family that is a must do for us.

My group has no interest in Harry Potter at all, but we all love the HP areas. The kids did not even want wands which I admit did surprise me.
The parents did tell them they could have a wand or they could put the money to something else. They all choose the something else.

But, when something is so well done, it is well done and will stand on its own.

Wow. A whole lot of advice up above. How do you decide after that?
Here's what I say (and it's not anymore valid than what those above me say)!

When I have tacked Universal on to the beginning or end of a Disney vacay, I have not been disappointed.
A taste of what Universal had to offer only made me want to plan and schedule more time there.
You didn't say where your are from and whether thus was the trip of a lifetime or something you will do again in the future.

For those of us in the states, and close enough to go whenever we really want to, Universal is its own trip - its worthy of its own attention. BUT I will say that I have never needed more than 3 days there. Not that you couldn't fill more time. Just that I'm satisfied with three days.

10 days at Disney is a lot. yes, there are Disney lovers who can do 10 days and more...but even as Disney lover, I am satisfied at 7 days. So my extra time would go to Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove -my new favorite!).

So what about your 10-day trip including Universal?

Why not cheap it? Get a one day 2-park pass and see what it's all about. Don't try to do it all. Just get the best of it. Do your research and decide what the highlights are for you and experience what everybody above is talking about. And if you never go back, you'll at least have experienced the highlights. And maybe it'll make you come back.

Maybe even do it IN THE MIDDLE of the Disney experience so that you can decide at that point to cut a few days from thee Disney to more full experience the Universal! (I don't know how flexible your package is).

If nothing else, the many comments above (and mine) should help you to realize there's is nothing lost is choosing to spend a few days at Universal over 10 days at Disney. There are many attractions and experiences that blow Disney out of the water!

My kids enjoyed islands of adventure, Harry Potter is on both sides of the park but the ride in the castle is on the islands side. As well as king Kong, jurrasic park, avengers and some others.
I think it's well worth it. It's a completely diffrent experience than Disney. I think you should do it. You dont have to do both parks.

There are many ways to do both attractions (Disney and Universal). For our family it was usually about being able to do both within our budget. We drive from MI, and we rent a private home and then get ourselves to the parks each day. I think 10 days at Disney is a lot. I would get bored. Or I would just be sad I wasn't at Universal part of the time too! I would look at park to park passes and add at least two days at Universal if you can. I like both of the parks there, I wouldn't want to limit yourself to just one side. Even if your younger child isn't tall enough to ride all the rides, there are plenty that they can.

Here are my 2 cents...

Spend 7 days in Disney and 3 days in Universal. I've never stayed in Disney longer than 5 days. I think I've always had enough, so I can't imagine spending 7 much less 10. Disney is a magical place.

I would forego the Dining Plan at Disney, especially if you will be in Universal 3 days during that trip. I hate having to eat just to get "my money's worth". I also detest buffets for this same reason. Keep your dining reservations and charge everything to your room (automatic to your credit cart) so it feels all inclusive. You will find that the money spent on meals and snacks will be less than the dining plan cost, if you are eating when hungry and not eating because you have to.

Consider a late trip move from Disney to Universal hotel. Why commute each day from Disney? A change in hotel will feel like a second vacation with a fresh room. It is just an Uber ride away.

It may sound crazy but split stay may not be a bad option either (4 D - 3 U - 3 D). Your 7 day Disney tickets are good for use within a 14 day window. Start with the magic and end with the magic.

You didn't mention which Disney Resort you booked. The three levels are vastly different in price. I personally have no problem with Pop Century, since we're never in the room during the 5 days. 7-10 days would require more down time at the resort, so a mid level may be more comfortable.

I usually go for one day to universal/IOA

You can do most of the things in a day that matter. I recently did it with no express pass

I just can’t see myself ever spending more then a day. You also begin to realize how many of the rides are basically the same with glasses or screens, just different theming.

I’d try it for a day on your trip. Get express pass if it helps.

We just recently struggled with the same decision. Rather than post all my comments again, I will share our impressions and experiences with both parks. We honestly regretted not spending more time at Universal.

So, first off, a huge thanks to everyone who gave us advice and tips for our current Universal/Disney trip. I just want everyone here to know that many tried to warn us we would become converted to Universal after our trip, and to those of you who did, you were right! Here’s why:

The hotel was less expensive and just as nice—We stayed at the Portofino Bay resort and were just blown away at how nice the resort was. The beds were heavenly. I ended up paying $240 a night with an AP rate, which is only a little more than half of what we are paying at the Polynesian ($457). we stayed 3 nights at Universal and we honestly all could have stayed longer.

Express Pass is 10 times better than FastPass—I am a Disney planner at heart, but Disney has taken it to a whole new level with their fast pass system to the point where it isn’t enjoyable. Universal has the Express Pass down pat. It made our trip at Universal so much more relaxing and enjoyable. We literally never waited. It spoiled us for our Disney trip. I get now why everyone said go to Universal last because the kids won’t want to wait at Disney.

More Intense Rides—So, my husband and boys loved the rides at Universal. Two of our triplets are thrill seekers and Universal is more up their alley in terms of the rides. One of our boys liked the rides at both, but is still really into Mickey.

Newer Rides—I haven’t been to Universal since 2000, and couldn’t believe how many new rides they have. It was DH’s and the boys first trip, and they kept asking me what the ride was like, and I couldn’t tell them because they were all so new. ET, Spider-Man and a few others and that’s it. Disney seems to keep rides around longer, or at least it seemed that way. I like the nostalgia, but just surprised at some of the rides that have stayed open versus the ones they have closed.

Less Expensive—Our whole experience at Universal was less expensive by an insane amount than when we compare it with Disney. We paid less for everything at Universal—tickets, food, resort. We were able to upgrade our 3 day Universal tickets for a 15 month Universal Annual Pass to $80 total for our entire family. Disney offered us a similar option, but it was like $500 per person per ticket to upgrade to a 12 month annual pass. I mean, really?? That’s not even comparable!! There’s no way we could ever justify buying annual passes at Disney at the price they are charging.

More Relaxing Vacation—Okay, so for us this was the most noticeable difference. Universal’s Express Pass made our entire vacation. Our triplet boys are 9 and do have some delays and sensory and anxiety issues. They have had a hard time at Disney with waiting in lines. But it’s not just the EP that made our Universal trip more relaxing. We also liked that we didn’t have to do ANY planning. No reservations for dinner, fast passes, or anything else. We never waited long to eat, and transportation was a piece of cake compared to Disney. Of course, Universal is smaller, which is part of it, but just seems as though Disney has gone out of their way to make things more difficult than they need to be, especially their fastpass system.

We still are enjoying our Disney stay at the Poly, and will still go back to Disney. There are definitely things that Disney does better—parades, character interaction, dinner shows, etc., but that said, we honestly plan to spend more time at Universal on our next trip. Thanks to all that gave us advice. We are so glad we gave Universal a try! We can’t wait to return!

Also, in terms of height requirements, I agree to look at those for consideration, but this honestly shouldn’t be the only reason not to go to Universal. It’s true that Universal appeals to tweens and teens with it’s thrill rides, but there are many well done little kid areas at Universal. I was surprised that our boys enjoyed some of the play areas at Universal, like the Fievel’s and Popeye themed areas. The Dr. Seuss and Woody Woodpecker themed area were really cute as well. All kids love the Harry Potter worlds, and there isn’t a height requirement to use one of the interactive wands. Our boys favorite thing was, surprisingly, the Jurassic Park Discovery Center, where they watched dinosaur eggs hatch. It’s more than just rides for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter