Kennedy Space Center or Discovery Cove

SonyaShay

Hufflepuff
Visiting Universal for the first time in over 18 years this summer. Only other visit was on a band trip when I was in high school, so it was a short trip. Will be me and my 10 year old daughter, both totally obsessed with HP, and the husband who is just along for the ride and has no clue of anything planned for this vacation or even when we are going.

Originally we had planned to spend a day at DC and another day at Sea World since we would have the free ticket. But now I am thinking that a day or 2 at KSC would be amazing. Daughter shows a lot of interest in science and space and there is a deal for this year for 5th graders to get in free. We have been lucky enough to see 2 launches while in Port Canaveral for Disney Cruises (once in Fall 2012 and again in Summer 2017).

Need input on which you would rather do...

I kind of dragged my family to KSC last spring (I'm a space geek) and they all (DH, DS 12, DD 15, DD17) admitted it was much cooler than they thought it would be. I like that once you pay the admission fee, pretty much all of the activities are included -- IMAX, simulator, bus tour, etc. Definitely worth a day.

PHXscuba

Either would be fun. I loved DC, have not been to KSC. Which do you think the family will enjoy more? (Considering price also).

If you daughter is into space for to KSC. If she was into dolphins I’d pick the DC. You can’t go wrong either way

Which do you think the family will enjoy more? (Considering price also).

Husband doesn't care one way or another. Daughter loves the idea of both but I don't want to take that much time away from Universal on this trip. We live near Birmingham, AL so she has visited Huntsville Space and Rocket Center a few times and always loves it.

KSC.........every day and twice on a Sunday!!!

Would maybe go for one day though and do as much as you can in that day, then you won’t take another day away from Universal.........

I’m sure you’d all love it........

If you daughter is into space for to KSC. If she was into dolphins I’d pick the DC. You can’t go wrong either way

If we go to DC we probably wouldn't do the dolphin swim. just basic entry for the day.

Would maybe go for one day though and do as much as you can in that day, then you won’t take another day away from Universal......

Right now the plan is to drive Friday after work about halfway (4ish hours) and spend the night somewhere in southern Georgia. Then wake up Saturday morning and finish the drive to Orlando staying offsite. Thinking this is the day we will do some general touristy things- airboat ride, Orlando Eye, or anything else on I Drive that the kid wants to do. Then will move onsite to RPR early Sunday-Thursday.

Friday-Sunday are where I can not make up my mind. We could drive to KSC for Friday and stay the night then start the drive home taking our time and stopping anywhere we want to. Or we could do 2 days at KSC and drive directly home Sunday. Or spend extra days at Universal since we will more than likely upgrade to some form of AP's but just stay offsite somewhere nearby.

I overthink things too much.....

not sure which admin moved this to the DC board but I wanted opinions from Universal visitors- not DC people that will be more inclined to tell me to go to DC....

Discovery Cove is sort of like a Caribbean beach and snorkeling day in the middle of Central Florida. It's well done, but pricey as they had to build everything from scratch as they are inland, not right on the ocean. Kennedy Space Center is so much improved compared to what it used to be and a really fun day, even for those who aren't big time into space.

If budget is a concern and you have a car or rental car, Kennedy Space Center would be much less expensive and I'd go for that. If budget is not a concern maybe have you daughter look at both websites and pick which she would prefer to do.

As someone who used to live near KSC and has family who works out there and I used to intern out there in HS, KSC is a definite must.

Would an option be to do Discovery Cove and SeaWorld on Friday, then KSC on Saturday and drive home Sunday? I haven't been to KSC since I was a kid fifteen years ago but I remember we were able to do everything we wanted to do in 1 day. I'm sure there has a lot that has been added since then, so that's something to consider. Maybe it does take 2 days now. I'm not sure on that. I do know DC can be pricey, but I think it's a great experience. Its kind of like a vacation from your vacation since there is a limit on the amount of people in the park each day and it's like you are at a private resort with food and drinks included. The park usually closes around 4, so you can hop over to SeaWorld which is literally across the street and check out their summer event which is a pretty great event with high energy shows and fireworks at the end of the night. (I'm assuming you are visiting sometime in June or July since you said summer. The summer event is only offered on Fridays in June and July) SeaWorld closes at 9:30 on summer event nights. Also consider that KSC is about 60 miles from SeaWorld and Universal so it's only about an hour drive if you wanted to drive there to a hotel on Friday night after SeaWorld and get an early start on Saturday.

If that's not an option, I agree with what someone else said, look at KSC and Discovery Cove/SeaWorld websites and look at which looks more appealing for you and your family with the different offerings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter