Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh named best Traditional Park

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
My local amusement park. A lovely park over 100 years old. It started as a trolley park, the only one left in the area. It has been compare to Tivoli Park. Disney was named best Theme Park.

Kim

I love Kennywood, I think it's a great park! That was the first place I ever went on one of those drop rides, you could see all of Pittsburgh from up there. And you get to stop at Ikea on the way home! :teeth:

I also live in the area. Hard to believe i get to disney world more than Kennywood! i believe they went downhill when they did away with the general admission. It was nice for the parents and older people who didn't ride.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and grew up going to Kennywood. That is such a great park. I really want to take our kids there sometime.

I also live in the area. Hard to believe i get to disney world more than Kennywood! i believe they went downhill when they did away with the general admission. It was nice for the parents and older people who didn't ride.

Ha ha, yeah..ive been to Disney twice since the last trip to Kennywood. I went every year as a kid though. Definately have a Kennywood trip this summer. Im smack between Kennywood and Idlewild, but both of my kids have their school picnics at Idlewild. I think Kennywood is asking 32$ for admission this year, which especially sucks since my DD7 pays full price admission but cant ride half the rides due to the height restrictions.

Ha ha, yeah..ive been to Disney twice since the last trip to Kennywood. I went every year as a kid though. Definately have a Kennywood trip this summer. Im smack between Kennywood and Idlewild, but both of my kids have their school picnics at Idlewild. I think Kennywood is asking 32$ for admission this year, which especially sucks since my DD7 pays full price admission but cant ride half the rides due to the height restrictions.

yeh i heard that $32 price too. unbelievable, especially in this economy. Maybe the new owners idea? i refuse to go unless we have a special gate price. we also went every year as a kid and when my kids were younger. we were there on the first day it opened, no matter how cold it was. we LOVE idlewild. that is one park that we wouldn't miss no matter what. Coupons on pepsi cans rock! lol!
at this point, we love to walk around and just eat the junk, lol. i sooooo much miss that general admission!

I had to open this thread just to make sure I'm not going crazy that Kennywood was mentioned on the boards. Anywho, I love Kennywood and I do agree about the getting rid of general admission thing. Plus didn't they use to discount the tickets if you get there after a certain time? Ah well. DFI grew up in Michigan so he's used to Cedar Point. When I took him to Kennywood for the first time he was impressed. Still couldn't get him to go in the Pitt Fall though. Sucker, lol. Can someone give me some Potato Patch fries with cheese?:cool1:

Saw the thread and had to post. I love Kennywood. We have a mini family reunion there every summer. Cool.

I love Kennywood, although haven't been back in about 6-7 years. Always remember school picnic day, and Italian Day, Croatian Day, Police Picnic Day (my dad was a police officer) - what great memories! I took my husband there before I even took him to WDW!

We did make it to Idlewild and Storybook Forest a few years ago, with my kids - they loved it as much as I did as a girl. And I got to take DD's photo inside the tomato can at Storybook Forest, and it looks just like mine from when I was a girl!

Thanks for the nostalgia trip - now I want to go back to Kennywood!

It is a special place and always will be. Anyone remember the Rotor? Greatest ride of all time! The Turnpike, the Thunderbolt, Kangaroo, the best merry-go-round ever! Since I was a kid we made the train the last ride of the night, right after eating the ice cream cone with chocolate rolled in nuts with the cherry on top. I will always have fond memories.

I have to say though that since going to WDW now the past four years my desire to go to Kennywood has dwindled significantly. I have been to Kennywood every year for the past 40 or so years and right now I truly don't miss it. It's a far cry from the cleanliness of WDW, the attitudes of CM/employees, it's a better experience at WDW.

I know that there are the two experiences are totally different. I now enjoy my WDW experiences much more.

It is a special place and always will be. Anyone remember the Rotor? Greatest ride of all time! The Turnpike, the Thunderbolt, Kangaroo, the best merry-go-round ever! Since I was a kid we made the train the last ride of the night, right after eating the ice cream cone with chocolate rolled in nuts with the cherry on top. I will always have fond memories.

I have to say though that since going to WDW now the past four years my desire to go to Kennywood has dwindled significantly. I have been to Kennywood every year for the past 40 or so years and right now I truly don't miss it. It's a far cry from the cleanliness of WDW, the attitudes of CM/employees, it's a better experience at WDW.

I know that there are the two experiences are totally different. I now enjoy my WDW experiences much more.

omg, the rotor! i would get sick WATCHING it! they took it out before i was big enough, lol. our kids grew up there and swore they'd work there when they were old enough. i sure do miss the $3.50 general admission. I remember as a kid, we'd run back to our parents for more tickets! we used to buy stacks of those books. remember when the lights would just come on? have you guys had a chance to watch kennywood memories by rick sebak? it's a great show, very nostalgic. probably can get it on amazon.

So many fond memories of my childhood at Kennywood! We went every year at least once a year (grew up near Indiana, PA). In high school, our band marched there every summer, too!!

What a super fun place. I'm actually thinking of taking my girls (ages 5 and 3) there for their first trip this summer....but I don't remember much about what they have for little ones. It's more for MY memories!!! Though, DD1 is very tall for her age (almost 48") and is a bit of a coaster freak like her mom!!! It might be fun.......

Cool.:thumbsup2

geez, I forgot about the AutoCar ride...it's been around I think since the 20's...one of only three I think worldwide. It ranks as my favorite more so than the Rotor!
How about the kiddieland ride that was the little cars I think you operated with your hands cranking the ride...it was near the train tracks and the train always "tooted" when it passed. Kiddieland still has the motorcycles, mini-swings, a little "phantom" roller coaster that looks pretty rough and a baby "Pitfall".

In addition to the PP fries I have to have a corndog.

So many fond memories of my childhood at Kennywood! We went every year at least once a year (grew up near Indiana, PA). In high school, our band marched there every summer, too!!

What a super fun place. I'm actually thinking of taking my girls (ages 5 and 3) there for their first trip this summer....but I don't remember much about what they have for little ones. It's more for MY memories!!! Though, DD1 is very tall for her age (almost 48") and is a bit of a coaster freak like her mom!!! It might be fun.......

Cool.:thumbsup2

i think kennywood's kiddieland is better than disney for variety! they have the little whip, the little swings, the little phantom, all types of cars and boats on tracks, the wind up little cars, little ferris wheel thats enclosed, even a little dumbo! can you tell i've spent many an hour in kiddieland. now my kids are big coaster riders and we venture to cedar point to satisfy them, although phantom's revenge is a darn good coaster. nothing at disney thrills them like phantom or the top thrill at cedar point.

I love Kennywood! I think we're going this Saturday. I haven't been for a couple of years so I'm really looking forward to it.

Anybody out there remember Westview Park? That's where all our school picnics were growing up....

I love Kennywood! I think we're going this Saturday. I haven't been for a couple of years so I'm really looking forward to it.

Anybody out there remember Westview Park? That's where all our school picnics were growing up....

oh yeah...how about White Swan Park??? They had the Mouse!

When I took DFI to Kennywood for the first time, I didn't tell him about the Thunderbolt. They had a sign up that said bigger riders in the outside seat. I told him he would find out why in a little bit. Owe the pain I put him through when it hit that turn.

I do have to agree with Kiddieland being a great. I still remember all of the fun I had as a child. It was sad when I left for college. I came back for the summer my freshman year, but not after that. Going to the park for 19 years straight sent me through withdrawal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter