Ketchikan Excursions?

carrielouhoo

Mouseketeer
We are sailing to Alaska in May 2019 and I'd like to get some ideas on things to do in Ketchikan. I've read nearly every Alaskan trip report and related threads on this board, and have spent countless hours on Trip Advisor. I've seen lots of people mention the lumberjack show in Ketchikan, as well as totems, and Misty Fjords. What else have you done in that port that you'd recommend? Does anyone have experience with fishing charters there? Our youngest will be 4.5 at the time of sailing, so we wouldn't be able to do the Deadliest Catch tour (must be 5), or anything else that is too adventurous/strenuous. Thanks!

We chose to hike up into the Ketchikan rainforest on our own. It was a strenuous hike but wow, what an experience. Afterwards we walked around Ketchikan on our own. There are some fun parks and museums you can check out in Ketchikan. If your youngest is used to uphill hiking you can try Deer Mountain Trail and get up into the rainforest. It will definitely feel like a off course exploration (even if it's on a trail). You can check out our experience on Deer Mountain Trail here http://frequentlyaskeddisneyblog.com/disney-cruise-alaska-part-26/

We're heading on the 7 night Alaska this august. For the ports, the unofficial DCL book (got it on Amazon) was a lifesaver. There's walking tours for Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan and a great rundown of each. We only have one excursion booked, the rest will be self guided thanks to this great resource!

Thanks for the recommendation! I had been wondering about that book, so glad to hear that you find it helpful. I placed an order for it on Amazon!

We chose to hike up into the Ketchikan rainforest on our own. It was a strenuous hike but wow, what an experience. Afterwards we walked around Ketchikan on our own. There are some fun parks and museums you can check out in Ketchikan. If your youngest is used to uphill hiking you can try Deer Mountain Trail and get up into the rainforest. It will definitely feel like a off course exploration (even if it's on a trail). You can check out our experience on Deer Mountain Trail here http://frequentlyaskeddisneyblog.com/disney-cruise-alaska-part-26/

That sounds great! Thanks for the link! We will definitely look into it.

We took a floatplane ride to Misty Fjords that we booked on our own. It was great, and much less expensive than booking through DCL.

We are sailing in May 2019, and I am planning to do a floatplane trip since our youngest will be just shy of 3. If it gets cancelled due to weather we will probably hop in a taxi to see the totem pole park.

We are sailing this May and I've booked the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast. I've heard good reports about it and we love crab, so hoping it's a fun tour.

Ketchikan is definitely a great place for a floatplane trip. We've done this twice - once to Neets Bay and just last summer to Anan Creek. Both were bear viewing tours which are only available later in the summer. I have read great reviews of the floatplanes that just went sightseeing though, so wouldn't rule that out just because you are out of "bear season". The flight over to Anan was just spectacular and well worth doing even if it wasn't the right time to see bears. We used Island Wings last summer and they were terrific - highly recommend!

While the port towns in Alaska are cute, they are awfully touristy and if there are several ships in port - crowded. I couldn't imagine being there and not wanting to get out into the wilderness at least a little bit. But that's just us. Everyone is different. :-)

Whatever you decide - enjoy. Alaska is spectacular!!!

We have been to Ketchican twice, once on Disney and once on Holland America, and have done and enjoyed:

- Misty Fjords floatplane
- Lumberjack show
- Alaska Coastal Expedition

All three were worth doing, and all three can be booked independently. In fact, we independently booked the first lumberjack show of the day, which was supposed to be a "Disney Exclusive", but in fact anyone could book it on the show's web site (or via Viator or any other booking site). The only reason it was "exclusive" was that the Wonder was the first to arrive that day and the other ships didn't get in in time for the first show. And the special Disney features of the show were minimal. They had a classic Mickey head on a couple of washtubs they were using for targets, and I think they made a couple of Disney-related jokes. Otherwise it's the same show. Pretty standard lumberjack show - corny jokes and tree-oriented "competition" that always seems to end in a tie, requiring a big-finish tie breaker. Those teams are just so evenly matched, they always tie! Go figure! :)

The Coastal Expedition is named something else on the other sites like Viator and other excursion booking sites, but it's pretty obvious which one it is - it's the one with individual 4-person rigid inflatable boats. If you have a family of 4, you get your own boat. Basically you form a convoy - the guide is in the lead boat and everyone follows along in their own boat. Every once in a while he signals for everyone to "raft up" where we all threw him our mooring lines and he pulled us into a raft formation so he could talk and point out features. That was a fun trip. I said, "hey, I've never driven a boat before, is that a problem?" They said, "no, not really; just don't hit anything." The instructions were about 1 minute long - "Steer with this - push this forward to go forward, pull it back to go backward. OK, let's go!" But they were right - the boats are super easy to handle, and it's all protected water so there really weren't any big waves to worry about. We saw orca (which apparently is not common), lots of eagles, some sea lions, otters, and a lot of beautiful country.

And Misty Fjords is just breathtakingly beautiful. Amazing pinnacles and fjords, completely unspoiled. Totally worth every penny.

We would also highly recommend the Alaska Fish House, which is right next door to the lumberjack show. We wandered in randomly on our first trip, and it's just really great, fresh fish & chips and chowder. Expensive, I suppose, but when we came back to Ketchikan on another cruise, that was the first thing the whole family agreed we needed to do again. We built our visit around eating lunch there.

Regarding the exclusive lumberjack show, I have read on some posts that it's not much different than the regular show, & also read that the exclusive includes a visit from a Disney character...
Can anyone confirm?? Thanks

Regarding the exclusive lumberjack show, I have read on some posts that it's not much different than the regular show, & also read that the exclusive includes a visit from a Disney character...
Can anyone confirm?? Thanks

My understanding is that its the same show except you get the Disney characters in the pre-show while you wait for the show to start. The theater is in very close walking distance. We decided to wait until day of to get tickets, I'm glad we did b/c my kiddos were tired after our morning excursion and just wanted to head back to the ship vs. watch the late afternoon show.

The lumberjack show is really cute and right off the gangway, great for a 4.5 year old. We thought the totem poles were very underwhelming.

Highly recommend ketchikankayakco.com for a private kayaking tour in the Tongass Rain Forest area. Lots of one on one attention. Saw tons of eagles and marine life. The owners were friendly and down to earth. The kids loved it.

We also did kayaking and it was amazing. My daughter was 4 at the time. They put us in a three seater kayak and she was in the middle between me and my husband.

We took a floatplane ride to Misty Fjords that we booked on our own. It was great, and much less expensive than booking through DCL.
We the same thing. Used Island Wings. Fantastic experience!

Following along since we will also be cruising in May 2019. I think we are currently leaning towards the Deadliest Catch Excursion, but I definitely want to hear about what else is available.

Following along since we will also be cruising in May 2019. I think we are currently leaning towards the Deadliest Catch Excursion, but I definitely want to hear about what else is available.

I was going to add this suggestion and it's a lot of fun and also educational. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware, booking direct with the company compared to DCL saves $$ and if you have kids near a certain age (I can't remember right now), they are still considered kids and priced lower than what DCL charges. It's worth a look and the tour is everyone combined anyway. I booked ours direct for our 8/2016 sailing and for the three of us, I think I saved about $100.

Heather

I was going to add this suggestion and it's a lot of fun and also educational. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware, booking direct with the company compared to DCL saves $$ and if you have kids near a certain age (I can't remember right now), they are still considered kids and priced lower than what DCL charges. It's worth a look and the tour is everyone combined anyway. I booked ours direct for our 8/2016 sailing and for the three of us, I think I saved about $100.

Heather

My kids will be 10 & 16 at the time of the cruise. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into booking this on our own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter