"Keys to the kingdom" DVC discount

tripletvan

DIS Veteran
We noted on our trip to OKW last week that there is a "Keys" tour that we can get a DVC discount on so our question is how is it and is the seven hour tour better? What is served for lunch during the 7 hour tour?
:confused:

THe 7 hour tour is much better because it includes Epcot and MGM as well as MK. The first time we did it, it was actually 8 hours! That included the Reedy Creek fire station though. Once we had lunch that was a bag lunch of sandwiches and cookies and fruit, but last time we had a nice lunch at Momma Melrose in MGM. That was 2 years ago. Must be time for us to do it again! Yes, it does change. We saw some things the same, but each time we have done it, we have seen new things.

DH & I really enjoyed the Keys tour, but even at "only" 4 hours, we were totally wiped out by the time it was done - and this was back in the day when we were active duty Marines! I'm not sure I would want to hack a 7-hour tour! We enjoyed doing the shorter tour and then being able to hang out at MK at our leisure afterwards to do what we wanted. But then again, we're not big multi-park-on-the-same-day people, so it might be my personal bias.

PS - The legends they share are great! Gotta do it to hear the scoop on the Haunted Mansion before the movie comes out next month that seems "loosely" based on the story they tell!

Thanks so much! We are finally to the point where we want to explore more than just doing rides & attractions.

Oh no I forgot to ask! Do you have to have a Park entrance like a hopper or is it more of meet at the guest relations like Dolphins in Depth?

I've done both and the 7 hour one is much better. As of this past August lunch was still in Mama Melrose's and it was very good. It is an all you can eat family style meal with loads of food and yummy desserts! One of my fav parts was going behind the scenes at the American Adventure in Epcot, really cool! I also really enjoyed the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. Lunch was at Columbia Harbour House and you picked what you wanted at the start of the tour. On both tours, they have everything ready for you when you arrive at the restaurant, real nice touch. I think a lot depends on who your tour guide is and how many people are in your tour. I've been very lucky and havehad wonderful guides and not many people in my groups. Yes, there is a DVC discount, same as AP discount. I have used both. IMHO the tours are worth it, especially if you are a huge Disney fan like I am. It might be easier to take the Keys Tour first and see how you like it and then some other time in the future you can do the Behind the Scenes Tour. That's another great thing about DVC, you know you will be back and can plan so many different things for future trips.

Have Fun!!

DH will be doing the 7 hour tour on 12/30. They only offer it I think 2 times in a week. With DVC discount, I think it comes out to be around $168. We have a big group travelling and it is all my side of the family. So I figured I send him on this tour to give him and us a break. It sounds a lot of fun.:D

We will also have a large group LAT but were going to do the opposite, My DH and I would be the ones to leave! He He!

:p :wave2: :wave2:

I did the 7 hour tour in July and LOVED it! I left Epcot and went tight over to AK (our guides son was having his first day as Tigger). I spent about an hour in the park and than went back to VWL to relax for a few hours. Then did MK for e-night 8-2.

I didn't find it to be overly physical, over bus driver was great and was constantly moving the bus to meet us, I am not sure if that is standard or not,

Sandy

Is there a slightly detailed brochure of any kind? My DH was told if he had something like that then his work group budget may pay for it! Yipee!
Now I need to find some info to satisfy it? Anybody have anything on Disney Facilities?

We loved the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I would think they are able to go more in depth on this tour than the 7 hour one because they are only covering the MK (not much time taken up in transportation, etc...)....but I'd really love to try the 7 hour one too! But because of the expense and not wanting to stick my parents with the kids for a really long day we haven't tried it. Hopefully they'll still be doing something similar in several years when we finally get a trip alone!

Anyway, we definitely enjoyed Keys to the Kingdom! It was very interesting going backstage and into the utilidors....and learning more about the "little things" that make the MK so special. Actually we only learned one or two things that we didn't already know....but it was still a great experience. My dh and I would both love to try other tours at WDW because this one was very good.

I know for Keys to the Kingdom we did need park tickets because you meet at City Hall. I think the longer tour may be one that doesn't require tickets.

Confused here. I wanted to also do the Keys tour when hubby and I go for a trip alone for our anniversary.
How long is this one and does it include lunch and where?

The Behind tour is the longer one that covers more than the MK?

I'm hoping the Keys tour has some interesting things in it cause if it is all the basic stuff hubby will be irritated I made us go. (Ride time eaten up.)

Thoughts?

We did the long tour, about 7 1/2 to 8 hours. The group had its own private little bus loaded with sodas, water and snacks. We went to MGM, MK and Epcot, lots of behind the scenes, the tunnels and a session with an animator who helped us create our own masterpiece (well as close as we could get :) ). Lunch was at Mama Melrose's in a private area with more great food than we could have ever eaten (all gratuities were covered in our tour price).

At the end of the tour they dropped each party anywhere they wanted on property.

One funny thing -- all of the guests on our tour never new each other before but all lived within 90 minutes of each other!!

Also, we needed a wheelchair for my wife and they easily accommodated it for the tour.

Thanks again! I now have a number for the facilitator of tours to see if I can get something on paper to submit!

Yes, both tours require an addmission. THe MK tour goes into a little more detail just in that park, but we had a lot of the same things on the whole tour, but more info than just the MK one. I loved the central shops part!

Can you take pictures on this tour? I will bo going Sunday and would like to photgraph if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter