Kia Soul or other mobility vehicle options for me. Why do you like your mobility vehicle?

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Kia Soul or other mobility vehicle options for me. Why do you like your mobility vehicle?

I am kinda an expert on this - because I have a TravelScoot, and I have for years carried it in the back of my Kia Soul. The TravelScoot is light and compact, and we can drop the handlebars, and pop it in the back pretty much fully assembled, and away I go to my next adventure.

Hi, mamabunny.

I wanted to ask you a question about our Kia Soul.

I am always researching for a possible car/SUV that might work for me and loading my wheelchair.

I usually try and find out the height of the rear Cargo Liftover Height. I just wanted to find the lowest ground to Cargo Liftover Height to make it easier to lift my wheelchair into the rear by using the bumper as a fulcrum instead of dead-lifting the wheelchair.

I have not taken the time to go to a dealer.

I was always curious:
Could I easily get in to and out of the driver's seat?
Would the driver's seat push back to the maximum to allow my belly not to touch the steering wheel?
Was the driver's seat be comfortable enough to fit my larger...you know?
Was the Cargo Liftover Height lower than most SUV's?
As a solo driver, would I feel comfortable driving long distances?

I have also researched the company below online, but I don't think I could sit in my wheelchair and roll it backward because of the height. I realize I could just roll it up the ramp folded or unfolded by standing to either side of the ramp.

www.freedommotors.com/

www.freedommotors.com/accessible-conversions/wheelchair-accessible-kia-soul/

FEATURES:
•Standard 32” Wide Ramp
•Spring-Assisted Manual or Automatic Ramp Available
•Commercial Grade Non-Slip Flooring
•Standard 4-Point Q’Straint Wheelchair Securement System or Q’Straint Retractable Straps or Premium EZ Lock Docking System
Vehicle Specs:
 Door Height: 52”
 Ramp Width: 32”
 Ramp Length: 46”
 Interior Height: 52”
 Ground Clearance: 5”
Benefits:
•Parking Freedom – Park anywhere with rear-entry access. Gain back standard parking space access as extra side room not needed for ramp deployment.
•Extreme Fuel Efficiency – Best MPG accessible vehicle conversion on the market.
•Ideal for Caregivers – Flat floor design, minimized ramp angle, and light spring ramp makes for effortless entry and exit.
•Wheelchair Securement – All conversions include standard 4-point Q’Straint Chair Securement or increase security with optional upgrades: retractable or EZ Lock Docking System.
Safety:
•Forget It’s Converted – Most cost-effective and least intrusive conversion in the industry. Maintaining the initial manufacturing integrity provides the smoothest and safest ride available.
•Reinforced Tubular Steel Lowered Floor – Reverse roll cage steel design and a continuous weld technique – the same design used to protect race car drivers during rollover – add an additional layer of safety in the event of a crash.
•Reliable Hydraulic Technology – Uses only the highest quality tested and assured parts and manufacturing while being powered by a Marine Grade hydraulic kneeling system – the same technology trusted by the aerospace and heavy-duty machinery industries. A never-fail system that won’t leave you stranded.
The Kia Soul Wheelchair Accessible Car is an upscale, sleek, and compact cruiser with top-rated fuel economy. Keeping the techie in-mind, the Kia Soul is a fun to drive mobile gadget lab with the advanced technology you crave.
Great for city parking and driving, this compact, rear-entry wheelchair accessible vehicle conversion allows parking garage usability. Built for those on the go, this compact conversion comfortably holds three passengers, including chair rider positioned in the second row. The conversion includes 32″ aluminum manual or automatic ramp coated in a protective anti-corrosion layer to increase ramp longevity. Now available with front seat transfer capabilities.

Last edited:

I'm not @mamabunny and I don't use an ECV/mobility device at home but I bought a new Kia Soul last Fall. I have a lot of problems with my knees (both are badly arthritic and need replacing) and the Soul was by far the most comfortable smaller car that I drove. I have long legs so I need to have the seat fairly far back - no issues with that. The best thing for me is that the seat has you sitting like you're sitting in a chair - in that your legs are hanging more "down" off the seat rather than as you would sit in a sportier car with your legs stretched more out in front of you. My husband has a sportier car and I can barely get out of it at times. I do sometimes have trouble bending my knee enough to get it into the car over the door frame - once inside I'm good though. Of all the cars I've tried it was one of the best for this however. The seat sits quite a bit higher than many cars I tried which is also very helpful.

I love the car so far in all the other ways as well. My model has an amazing large touch screen and connects easily to my phone. I had low tire pressure in one tire the other day and it told me which one - very nice. My family says also that its not bad sitting in the back (and my kids are young adults). Great gas mileage. I live in the DC suburbs and great handling in traffic, easy to park, etc.

I'd say it is worth your time to see it in person when you can if it fits your other requirements for your chair - I'm very happy with mine!

Hi, Selket.

Thank you for the helpful personal info.

I'm not @mamabunny and I don't use an ECV/mobility device at home but I bought a new Kia Soul last Fall. I have a lot of problems with my knees (both are badly arthritic and need replacing) and the Soul was by far the most comfortable smaller car that I drove. I have long legs so I need to have the seat fairly far back - no issues with that. The best thing for me is that the seat has you sitting like you're sitting in a chair - in that your legs are hanging more "down" off the seat rather than as you would sit in a sportier car with your legs stretched more out in front of you. My husband has a sportier car and I can barely get out of it at times. I do sometimes have trouble bending my knee enough to get it into the car over the door frame - once inside I'm good though. Of all the cars I've tried it was one of the best for this however. The seat sits quite a bit higher than many cars I tried which is also very helpful.

I love the car so far in all the other ways as well. My model has an amazing large touch screen and connects easily to my phone. I had low tire pressure in one tire the other day and it told me which one - very nice. My family says also that its not bad sitting in the back (and my kids are young adults). Great gas mileage. I live in the DC suburbs and great handling in traffic, easy to park, etc.

I'd say it is worth your time to see it in person when you can if it fits your other requirements for your chair - I'm very happy with mine!

Hi, mamabunny.

I wanted to ask you a question about our Kia Soul.

I am always researching for a possible car/SUV that might work for me and loading my wheelchair.

I usually try and find out the height of the rear Cargo Liftover Height. I just wanted to find the lowest ground to Cargo Liftover Height to make it easier to lift my wheelchair into the rear by using the bumper as a fulcrum instead of dead-lifting the wheelchair.

I have not taken the time to go to a dealer.

I was always curious:
Would the driver's seat push back to the maximum to allow my belly not to touch the steering wheel?

I have also researched the company below online, but I don't think I could sit in my wheelchair and roll it backward because of the height. I realize I could just roll it up the ramp folded or unfolded by standing to either side of the ramp.

www.freedommotors.com/

www.freedommotors.com/accessible-conversions/wheelchair-accessible-kia-soul/

View attachment 501855

FEATURES:
•Standard 32” Wide Ramp
•Spring-Assisted Manual or Automatic Ramp Available
•Commercial Grade Non-Slip Flooring
•Standard 4-Point Q’Straint Wheelchair Securement System or Q’Straint Retractable Straps or Premium EZ Lock Docking System
Vehicle Specs:
 Door Height: 52”
 Ramp Width: 32”
 Ramp Length: 46”
 Interior Height: 52”
 Ground Clearance: 5”
Benefits:
•Parking Freedom – Park anywhere with rear-entry access. Gain back standard parking space access as extra side room not needed for ramp deployment.
•Extreme Fuel Efficiency – Best MPG accessible vehicle conversion on the market.
•Ideal for Caregivers – Flat floor design, minimized ramp angle, and light spring ramp makes for effortless entry and exit.
•Wheelchair Securement – All conversions include standard 4-point Q’Straint Chair Securement or increase security with optional upgrades: retractable or EZ Lock Docking System.
Safety:
•Forget It’s Converted – Most cost-effective and least intrusive conversion in the industry. Maintaining the initial manufacturing integrity provides the smoothest and safest ride available.
•Reinforced Tubular Steel Lowered Floor – Reverse roll cage steel design and a continuous weld technique – the same design used to protect race car drivers during rollover – add an additional layer of safety in the event of a crash.
•Reliable Hydraulic Technology – Uses only the highest quality tested and assured parts and manufacturing while being powered by a Marine Grade hydraulic kneeling system – the same technology trusted by the aerospace and heavy-duty machinery industries. A never-fail system that won’t leave you stranded.
The Kia Soul Wheelchair Accessible Car is an upscale, sleek, and compact cruiser with top-rated fuel economy. Keeping the techie in-mind, the Kia Soul is a fun to drive mobile gadget lab with the advanced technology you crave.
Great for city parking and driving, this compact, rear-entry wheelchair accessible vehicle conversion allows parking garage usability. Built for those on the go, this compact conversion comfortably holds three passengers, including chair rider positioned in the second row. The conversion includes 32″ aluminum manual or automatic ramp coated in a protective anti-corrosion layer to increase ramp longevity. Now available with front seat transfer capabilities.

View attachment 502062

Well, we have always had non-customized "regular" Kia Souls, so I can't speak to how well it would work with a ramp in back (although it looks pretty cool!). But, in addition to what @Selket said above, here's some of my observations...

We bought our first Kia Soul (a 2010) in 2009.

Let me back up for a minute, and give a bit of history about the Kia Soul. You see, if you ever drove an old Ford Festiva (not the old 70s Fiesta, but the early 80s Festiva) you drove the precursor to the Kia Soul! Kia and Ford had a partnership that resulted in the Festiva, and it was a great little car - to this day, it has a small but loyal following. My husband *loved* the Festiva, and in fact, our daughter's first car was a Festiva as well. All told, I think we owned 4 of them; all of them were ultimately sold to other Festiva enthusiasts, and they live on happily to this day!

At the time we found the Kia Soul, our daughter was still going to Shriners Hospital, down in Shreveport. We had to go down for one of her regular visits, and while we often rode with the Shriners in their transportation vans, this particular trip we decided to drive ourselves; that way we could have a rare Monday appointment when the clinic wasn't as busy and our daughter would only have to miss one day of school instead of two. So, my husband being a sweet guy rented us a big 'ol Hyundai SUV. (Hyundai is the sister brand to Kia) and away we went. When we got to the hotel at Shreveport, we "cracked" the back windows to allow a bit of airflow since it was a hot day, and one of the back windows just dropped straight into the door! No kidding - it was stuck down there.

It was also getting close to 5pm, when the rental counter at the Shreveport airport (the only place in town with a replacement car that weekend) would close, and we couldn't just empty the car and let it sit because rain was coming in. So, away to the airport we went, and when we got there, the only car they had left was a Kia Soul - which was a major "downgrade" from the giant SUV we brought in, but we had seen the cute little hamster commercials, and our daughter was *so* excited at the idea of driving around in a Kia Soul that what else could I do?

We got in it, and by the time we left the airport grounds, I knew it was our next car. It just "fit" us. I even called my hubby and told him that I found the car that the Festiva grew up to become! And it's true - it has the perfect "little car" aesthetic; you know that feeling where everything is placed right where you want it, expect it to be, and nothing is a weird reach away.

We drove it all that weekend, and back to our home to turn it in at the rental place, and within 48 hours we had purchased our first Soul.

It is a smaller car - we can easily fit 2 of them in our standard 2 car garage with plenty of space all the way around both of them - but my husband is just a smidge over 6 feet tall, and he loves them.

This may sound terrible to some people, but since we bought our first one in 2009, we have owned *9* of them. We currently have 3 of them parked here at the house right now; I wouldn't trade my current one for any other car out there. So... yeah. We like them, as our daughter used to say "A lot bit!" LOL

Now, about your specific "fit" in the car... That's going to depend on a lot of things, not the least of which how your size is distributed. Ultimately, you will need to sit in one (sorry!) to see, but I think - based on pictures I have seen of you - that you will find with the seat properly adjusted, it's quite comfortable.

My husband is that guy who likes to drive with the seat leaned waaaay back; I am that person who (because of my lower back issues) must sit ramrod straight and we both can easily drive the same car no problems. Our models don't have "memory seats" but it's a quick adjustment.

You asked:

Yes. I think so. I also have bad knees, and it really is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever gotten into and out of, especially as a driver. There is plenty of head room, even for tall folks, and once you have the seat height adjusted properly, it's like standing up from a dining chair almost. I can't sit in a standard 4 door sedan anymore - they are too low, and I can't climb back up out of most of them. Most mini-vans (or the Minnie Vans, for that matter) are just a bit too high up to be easy to get in and out of. But the Kia Soul is just right for me.

Yes. And, to some extent, the steering wheel is adjustable too - you can push it all the way forward into the dash, or if you are a smaller, more petite person like our daughter, you can pull it out closer to you.

Even at my highest weight ever (in excess of 350 pounds) I didn't really feel "crowded".

Yes. Again, remember that until January of 2019, I weighed well over 350 pounds, and my "you know" drove 1201 miles (one way) on a regular basis to WDW in a Kia Soul... So, I think it's pretty comfy! 🤣

You can get heated seats too, which really does help with lower back issues.

I need to go measure the actual liftover - I don't remember off the top of my head what the height is, but it seems to be lower than most of the other SUVs and mini vans I am around. Additionally, there is a flat load floor - so when you go to bring things back out, you don't have to lift up out of a "well" and then over a bumper, if that makes sense.

I think so. Although I typically travel with family member(s), I have made other solo trips in the car on my own, and we have driven through some pretty extreme weather in our Kia Souls as well.

What we do is buy the car equipped the way we want it, and then go buy the very best tires we can find from TireRack(dot com) and have those put on. (TireRack makes recommendations based on your make/model/year) It's front-wheel drive, but with a good set of "skins" on the ground, you should be able to go pretty much anywhere in any weather.

We have driven through hurricanes, ice storms, snow storms, love-bug storms... you name it, with no problems!

I will admit this: because of my personal health issues, I never drive longer than 2 hours without stopping. It does make the days longer - 400 miles is about my daily limit in the car, so we typically have 2 overnights to get to WDW. We know people who drive it in one day with multiple drivers, but the few times we have tried to drive it in two 600 mile days I really suffered the consequences, so we have our regular hotels where they know us, and we can reserve our favorite rooms, and we know where all of the local amenities - like Starbucks, and gas stations - are.

BUT I can drive three 400 mile days in a row, and get out of that car, and be just fine. Your Mileage May Vary*.

*you knew that was going to happen, right? LOL

I will try to get some measurements for you this weekend, and post them here!

Hi, mamabunny.

Thank you so much for of your great personal experiences about using a Kia Soul. After many years of researching, I find you & Selket have given me the most info.

Thank you.

Let me back up for a minute, and give a bit of history about the Kia Soul.

Thank you.

We got in it, and by the time we left the airport grounds, I knew it was our next car.

Even though I have never sat in a Kia Soul, I felt the same way just looking at photos and researching.

My husband is that guy who likes to drive with the seat leaned waaaay back; I am that person who (because of my lower back issues) must sit ramrod straight and we both can easily drive the same car no problems. Our models don't have "memory seats" but it's a quick adjustment.

I like sitting straight up, too.

I also have bad knees, and it really is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever gotten into and out of, especially as a driver. There is plenty of head room, even for tall folks, and once you have the seat height adjusted properly, it's like standing up from a dining chair almost. I can't sit in a standard 4 door sedan anymore - they are too low, and I can't climb back up out of most of them. Most mini-vans (or the Minnie Vans, for that matter) are just a bit too high up to be easy to get in and out of. But the Kia Soul is just right for me.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, too.

It is so difficult for me to get in and get to get out of rental SUV's & cars, too.

Yes. And, to some extent, the steering wheel is adjustable too - you can push it all the way forward into the dash, or if you are a smaller, more petite person like our daughter, you can pull it out closer to you.
Even at my highest weight ever (in excess of 350 pounds) I didn't really feel "crowded".

When I have driven rental SUV's & cars, my abdomen is usually to close to the steering wheel even though I raised the steering wheel to the maximum height.

Sometimes a rental SUV seat doesn't push back up far enough or push back so far my feet were too far from the pedals.

Hopefully, the Kia Soul will fit just right.

Yes. Again, remember that until January of 2019, I weighed well over 350 pounds, and my "you know" drove 1201 miles (one way) on a regular basis to WDW in a Kia Soul... So, I think it's pretty comfy! 🤣

Thank you.

I need to go measure the actual liftover - I don't remember off the top of my head what the height is, but it seems to be lower than most of the other SUVs and minivans I am around. Additionally, there is a flat load floor - so when you go to bring things back out, you don't have to lift up out of a "well" and then over a bumper, if that makes sense.

Flat floors are so much easier to roll my Fold and Go Wheelchair into instead of a dropdown into the back. Same for removal.

I think so. Although I typically travel with family member(s), I have made other solo trips in the car on my own, and we have driven through some pretty extreme weather in our Kia Souls as well.
What we do is buy the car equipped the way we want it, and then go buy the very best tires we can find from TireRack(dot com) and have those put on. (TireRack makes recommendations based on your make/model/year) It's front-wheel drive, but with a good set of "skins" on the ground, you should be able to go pretty much anywhere in any weather.

Thank you. I think I used the word solo because no one would be dring me.

I will try to get some measurements for you this weekend, and post them here!

That's okay. I don't want you to go to any trouble.

Do you lift your Fold and Go Wheelchair into the rear section.

I used to put a towel over the inside and over the bumper. Then I would lift and slide against the bumper until I reached a halfway point where it would tilt into the SUV.

I presume the lower the Cargo Liftover Height means less distance to lift.

Thank you again.

When I have driven rental SUV's & cars, my abdomen is usually to close to the steering wheel even though I raised the steering wheel to the maximum height.

I used to put a towel over the inside and over the bumper. Then I would lift and slide against the bumper until I reached a halfway point where it would tilt into the SUV.

Ray:

I can't speak to the Soul, because I've only ever seen a couple and have never touched let alone sat in one. It is very rare to see them around here.

However, I can speak to steering wheels.

You need both the periscope function [adjust up and down] as well as a telescope function [adjust forward and back]. Most or all will have the periscope. Only some have the telescope. When I was searching for my last two cars I ruled out many based on "lack of telescope steering wheel" as it is an essential feature for me to be able to get everything adjusted to be in the proper safe position. No telescoping steering wheel, no car for me.

For protecting the bumper area. Around here the taxis all have a bib-like thing that they use to cover the bumper. It is a heavy duty water-proof but maleable cover. I don't know what to call it nor where to buy it. But it sits inside the trunk and then can be pulled out to cover the bumper when needed such as when loading/unloading luggage. I tried googling and clearly was not using the right search terms. This is the closest I could find though it is not exactly the same as what they use here: https://bootlipprotector.com

SW

I need to go measure the actual liftover - I don't remember off the top of my head what the height is, but it seems to be lower than most of the other SUVs and mini vans I am around. Additionally, there is a flat load floor - so when you go to bring things back out, you don't have to lift up out of a "well" and then over a bumper, if that makes sense.
I'm thinking it's about two feet, but it's been a while since I drove one. I no longer drive, but if I did, the Kia Soul is my absolute favorite vehicle in the entire world!

Hi, SW. Thanks for the advice.

Ray:

I can't speak to the Soul, because I've only ever seen a couple and have never touched let alone sat in one. It is very rare to see them around here.

You need both the periscope function [adjust up and down] as well as a telescope function [adjust forward and back]. Most or all will have the periscope. Only some have the telescope. When I was searching for my last two cars I ruled out many based on "lack of telescope steering wheel" as it is an essential feature for me to be able to get everything adjusted to be in the proper safe position. No telescoping steering wheel, no car for me.

For protecting the bumper area. Around here the taxis all have a bib-like thing that they use to cover the bumper. It is a heavy duty water-proof but maleable cover. I don't know what to call it nor where to buy it. But it sits inside the trunk and then can be pulled out to cover the bumper when needed such as when loading/unloading luggage. I tried googling and clearly was not using the right search terms. This is the closest I could find though it is not exactly the same as what they use here: https://bootlipprotector.com

SW

Ray:

SW

Yes! You are exactly correct!

And the Soul *does* have both Telescoping and Periscoping function for the steering wheel. (at least it did prior to the 2021 model)

And the irony....

We pretty much never see Souls around here.

Saturday evening I go out to pick up my click and collect grocery order, and end up behind one for part of the drive !!!

:-)

SW

Oooo! Picture time!

LOL these are not the greatest pictures ever - it was dusk, and I was getting chewed on by a family of very hungry mosquitos, so probably not my best work!

Full disclosure - this is my personal car, which is a 2015 Kia Soul. You can no longer (sadly) get the full-length sunroof like my car has, or the Napa leather package. That's one reason why I have held on to Cloudia (Yeah, I named her. You know I name *everything*! LOL my canister style vacuum cleaner is named Arnold Ziffell, because it reminds me of the pig on the old TV show "Green Acres"! LOL. And "Cloudia" because she is a girl, and her paint color is "Cloud", so... anyway...) Other family members can have their fancy newer Kia Souls - they have tiny, sad little sunroofs and icky black leather seats with no personality. 🤣

Important to know here: 2020 Kia Souls have a *lower* liftover height at 29.5 inches. Almost, but not quite enough to get me to the dealership...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Starting with the Drivers Side:

The door opens 40" wide; it's not a full 90 degree swing, but it's not shabby.

While 13 inches from the seat edge to the floor doesn't sound like a lot... remember that your legs are extended in the driving position, so...

Next: Drivers seat measurements

The touchscreen in the new models is *much* bigger and better - but I use Apple CarPlay, so it all looks about the same, regardless! Updates for Kia's GPS mapping are about $25/update (usually once a year) - or Apple CarPlay/Android connectivity is built-in, and just requires a cable to connect.

Let's go to the back

The liftover height here *is* tall. And the 2020 model is almost 7 inches lower - which is significant. (It's OK, Cloudia. Mama still loves you best. Don't you listen to those flashy 2020 models with their tiny little sunroofs...)

Overall, however it is easy to load. The floor is not totally flat with the seats down - that's because the seat backs are nice and thick for the back seat passengers, so they do not lie completely flat. Even though I never ride back there, it's nice! LOL

Liftgate:

Not too bad (measured from the ground, obvs)

And last but not least - Angus - he of the fancy custom seat - says "Hello!" from the back! 😉

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with! 🙂

Oh my goodness, MB.

You really went above and beyond the call of duty.

And definitely put all of those auto blog reviewers to shame.

All of your photos and, oh goodness all the measurements, are very helpful.

I like seeing your Cloudia second-row seats folded down with your Angus.

Thank you so much.

Oooo! Picture time!

LOL these are not the greatest pictures ever - it was dusk, and I was getting chewed on by a family of very hungry mosquitos, so probably not my best work!

Full disclosure - this is my personal car, which is a 2015 Kia Soul. You can no longer (sadly) get the full-length sunroof like my car has, or the Napa leather package. That's one reason why I have held on to Cloudia (Yeah, I named her. You know I name *everything*! LOL my canister style vacuum cleaner is named Arnold Ziffell, because it reminds me of the pig on the old TV show "Green Acres"! LOL. And "Cloudia" because she is a girl, and her paint color is "Cloud", so... anyway...) Other family members can have their fancy newer Kia Souls - they have tiny, sad little sunroofs and icky black leather seats with no personality. 🤣

Important to know here: 2020 Kia Souls have a *lower* liftover height at 29.5 inches. Almost, but not quite enough to get me to the dealership...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Starting with the Drivers Side:

View attachment 502624

The door opens 40" wide; it's not a full 90 degree swing, but it's not shabby.

View attachment 502626

While 13 inches from the seat edge to the floor doesn't sound like a lot... remember that your legs are extended in the driving position, so...

Next: Drivers seat measurements

View attachment 502628

View attachment 502629

View attachment 502630

The touchscreen in the new models is *much* bigger and better - but I use Apple CarPlay, so it all looks about the same, regardless! Updates for Kia's GPS mapping are about $25/update (usually once a year) - or Apple CarPlay/Android connectivity is built-in, and just requires a cable to connect.

Let's go to the back

View attachment 502631

The liftover height here *is* tall. And the 2020 model is almost 7 inches lower - which is significant. (It's OK, Cloudia. Mama still loves you best. Don't you listen to those flashy 2020 models with their tiny little sunroofs...)

Overall, however it is easy to load. The floor is not totally flat with the seats down - that's because the seat backs are nice and thick for the back seat passengers, so they do not lie completely flat. Even though I never ride back there, it's nice! LOL

Liftgate:

View attachment 502636

Not too bad (measured from the ground, obvs)

And last but not least - Angus - he of the fancy custom seat - says "Hello!" from the back! 😉

View attachment 502638

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with! 🙂

36" liftover? Really? I obviously believe it, but I could have sworn it was mid-thigh on me. And I'm short! What I most loved about the Soul is that seat height. Its just about butt level on me. No need to climbs in or out. I could just sit and slide!

Oh my goodness, MB.

You really went above and beyond the call of duty.
36" liftover? Really? I obviously believe it, but I could have sworn it was mid-thigh on me. And I'm short! What I most loved about the Soul is that seat height. Its just about butt level on me. No need to climbs in or out. I could just sit and slide!

I'm pretty sure mine is a 2020 and I won't swear to it but I went and measured mine if I understand what you're talking about (the ground up to the highest point to lift some into the back) and it's like 28-29 inches.

If you want me to take any measurements of my interior like @mamabunny did, let me know!

Also, I didn't get the most expensive Soul but not the cheapest either - mine doesn't have leather seats - they are cloth - but it has all the safety features I wanted (like beeps if you're changing lanes and something is there, etc). The touchscreen is HUGE and pretty cool and I can't help but recommend you get the nicer version with the big screen.

As I've said my biggest problem is bending my knee enough to get it over the "lip" of the bottom of the door. I'm tall (5'9") and my legs are as long as people taller than me - I know cause I put the seat back farther than taller people who drive my car...because of my legs - haha! If money was no object I'd probably drive a very tall SUV. We have an old (like 2001) Mitsubishi Montero - the full size one - and I love getting in and out of that. Getting in and out of the Soul compares favorably however and it's a WAY smaller car!

Also all the best people drive Kia Souls or wish they did...so there's also that :jumping1:

Do you remember what year model it was? I think that they have been (slowly but surely) lowering that liftover height for the last several years; for 2020 they list it at 29.5 inches (but that's with the bigger 18" tires, so the smaller ?16 inch? tires might make for a lower liftover height.

FYI, I found that Lift Compatibility Tool on Harmar’s site tells you the given trunk height of any vehicle.

First, go to Harmar’s site and input your chair make/model, as well as the vehicle you have/are interested in buying, then hit “Find Lifts”. (I couldn’t input my exact chair because don’t have it listed, YET). 0C338D0C-DEC3-4ECD-9154-457AF749E8EA.jpeg

2. Then, hit ”View Vehicle Dimension Information:E92512A2-EDB4-489E-8D6D-874CAB81B057.jpeg

3. It will give you the various dimensions of the different vehicles. The two numbers that are of the most interest are the overall ceiling height (Labeled “Height”) and Height (Bumper), which tells you how far the very bottom of the trunk is from the ground.:7D389A45-059E-473B-A133-89C021CE7B29.jpeg

FYI, I found that Lift Compatibility Tool on Harmar’s site tells you the given trunk height of any vehicle.

First, go to Harmar’s site and input your chair make/model, as well as the vehicle you have/are interested in buying, then hit “Find Lifts”. (I couldn’t input my exact chair because don’t have it listed, YET). View attachment 524402

2. Then, hit ”View Vehicle Dimension Information:View attachment 524403

3. It will give you the various dimensions of the different vehicles. The two numbers that are of the most interest are the overall ceiling height (Labeled “Height”) and Height (Bumper), which tells you how far the very bottom of the trunk is from the ground.:View attachment 524404

Well that is an AMAZING resource for all of us! Thank you so much for sharing! ❤

Here's the link for anyone else who needs it: Harmar Vehicle Compatibility Calculator

Last edited:
Hi, Groot and mamabunny for the info.

First, go to Harmar’s site and input your chair make/model, as well as the vehicle you have/are interested in buying, then hit “Find Lifts”. (I couldn’t input my exact chair because don’t have it listed, YET). View attachment 524402

2. Then, hit ”View Vehicle Dimension Information:View attachment 524403

3. It will give you the various dimensions of the different vehicles. The two numbers that are of the most interest are the overall ceiling height (Labeled “Height”) and Height (Bumper), which tells you how far the very bottom of the trunk is from the ground.:View attachment 524404
Well that is an AMAZING resource for all of us! Thank you so much for sharing! ❤

Here's the link for anyone else who needs it: Bruno.com Vehicle Compatibility Calculator

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!