Kidney stones SUCK- Question page 5

How long ago was that? Since the mid-80s the most common way to treat them has been with sonic blasting in water (or at least when my dad had it done). I looked up the medical term, which is "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy". The way I heard his was done, they targeted two shock waves to collide right where the stone was.

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy-eswl-for-kidney-stones

He felt pretty bad after it was over, but it's noninvasive and is supposed to turn them into little chunks.
I'm not who you quoted but I have had many lithotripsys and sometimes it doesn't even work on the first try. Sometimes it will only just "crack" the stone. Some people need two or more treatments.

How long ago was that? Since the mid-80s the most common way to treat them has been with sonic blasting in water (or at least when my dad had it done). I looked up the medical term, which is "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy". The way I heard his was done, they targeted two shock waves to collide right where the stone was.

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy-eswl-for-kidney-stones

He felt pretty bad after it was over, but it's noninvasive and is supposed to turn them into little chunks.

About 7 years ago.

I'm so sorry for the pain and trouble that you've gone through. I guess I dodged a bullet here, I was diagnosed with a kidney stone a couple of years ago. But we've been playing the "wait and see" game. This year I decided it's time to do something about it. We're planning a long trip out of country and I didn't want to be out in the middle of Asia and have something happen. Anyway, after having an X-ray and ultrasound done to confirm the location/size of said kidney stone - it's not there anymore! Yay!

Don't know what happened to it, but I'm glad.

Since the mid-80s the most common way to treat them has been with sonic blasting in water (or at least when my dad had it done).

While I agree lithotripsy is common, the "preferred" treatment is going to depend on the patient -- their medical history, as well as location and size of the stone(s). My DD has had 3 different surgeries to remove renal stones, and we know she currently has a handful of "pebbles" in her kidneys.

@kimblebee so sorry you are going through this, and especially that you felt ignored. Unless it's causing a blockage, doctors are unlikely to react too quickly for "treating" and do usually try to wait for it to pass. I can't imagine the pain. Hoping you get through this quickly and without too much more pain. :hug:

Last edited:

While I agree lithotripsy is common, the "preferred" treatment is going to depend on the patient -- their medical history, qas well as location and size of the stone(s).

@kimblebee so sorry you are going through this, and especially that you felt ignored. Unless it's causing a blockage, doctors are unlikely to react too quickly for "treating" and do usually try to wait for it to pass. I can't imagine the pain. Hoping you get through this quickly and without too much more pain. :hug:

Paragraph #1 This^

#2 That>

Even the smallest residual pieces can cause pain. Look at one's diet, and meds. Consider adding foods, beverages that prevent/break down build up. For ladies look at added calcium, 'cause too much can create stones too. I'm in the man cave here waiting out a storm otherwise I could add more info. from my literature. Lemon juice, Cranberry tablets because of greater potency, I seem to remember were also good for stones, and UTI. Do. Not. Quote. Me. My memory is getting olderr.. And besides things change. Do your research.

Get better quick Kimblebee! :grouphug:

Last edited:
My experience in the US is you would have been taken back immediately, given an IV and once evaluated given pain medication.

If one's fortunate enough to have insurance. Referring to US citizens. Just saying... 'cause otherwise I'm at a loss how your contribution to this thread helped?

Last edited:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and contributions. I just had my ct scan and now I'm waiting to see a dr. I feel better than last night but now it feels like I have a uti...the urge to pee is there but the pee is not lol

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and contributions. I just had my ct scan and now I'm waiting to see a dr. I feel better than last night but now it feels like I have a uti...the urge to pee is there but the pee is not lol

We've got your back girl!

Oh my goodness, you have had more than your fair share! I am so sorry. Haven't had them, but I imagine they are just awful. Hoping you can pass them soon and it won't be as bad as what you are feeling now. Again, so sorry!

I'm not who you quoted but I have had many lithotripsys and sometimes it doesn't even work on the first try. Sometimes it will only just "crack" the stone. Some people need two or more treatments.

My dad didn't like it, but his were pulverized after the first try. I remember going with him for lunch after it was done in the morning, and he looked like he'd been in the ring with a boxer taking blows to the stomach.

My experience in the US is you would have been taken back immediately, given an IV and once evaluated given pain medication.
"Immediately"-- depends on the wait time at that particular ER and could be a very long time (hours)

Why would someone automatically be given an IV? Before being evaluated or knowing what's wrong??

My dad didn't like it, but his were pulverized after the first try. I remember going with him for lunch after it was done in the morning, and he looked like he'd been in the ring with a boxer taking blows to the stomach.
Yeah, I wasn't going out to lunch after my lithotripsy. Bruised, urinating clots of blood, and vomiting (because apparently I am unable to handle any pain meds). It also still took another 5 days before the stone passed.

Question that I should have asked my dr- how will I know when I pass the stone? I imagine I won't physically feel anything so is it just a guessing game?

A few years ago I had to have my husband drive me to the ER. I told them it was a 9 on the pain scale and even said I have had three non-medicated births and it was worse.

I had to pee while in the waiting room and had no choice bit to go even though they wouldn't give me a cup for a sample. Of course, when I get taken into a room they won't do ANYTHING or bring in the doctor until I provide a urine sample. Spent a few hours writhing in pain on the toilet (nothing would come out). Finally start vomiting and they want to rush me in for a CT scan, but insist on a pregnancy test first (had to wait for a blood test). Get the CT scan and then the doctor comes in with results. He says, "This didn't present like a kidney stone because YOU WEREN'T IN PAIN". What part of "9/10-- worse than childbirth" gave them that idea I will never know.

Later, DH told me that next time I need to "act more like I'm in pain" because apparently if you're not screaming and uncontrollable you are not taken seriously. Also, the nurses said "everyone always says 11, so 9 isn't that bad". I'm a rational person-- 11 is not part of the scale of 1-10! And, to me, nothing can even be called a 10 because I can always imagine that there must be something that is potentially worse.

The stone was too large to pass so I was sent home and scheduled for a lithotripsy procedure the following day. It took several days before everything did pass and I was pretty miserable. I did not use any pain medication.

OT, but YES!!

I feel the EXACT same way about the silly 1-10 pain scale, & I'm so happy to find someone else like me! LOL!

And, I agree, 11 is not part of the pain scale.

And, what is a 10? To me, 10 is the worst imaginable pain, &, if you're at a 10, you're near death. And how do I know what a 10 feels like? If I'm in a lot of pain, is it a 8 or is this the worst it gets? And there's always something "worse," so, if 10 is the "end" of the scale, that should be the very worst & the very end.

So, I always want to give myself some "room" to move up the pain scale. DH (who is a licensed first responder) has tried to explain to me that everyone's personal 1-10 scale is different & is just used as a guide for medical personnel to try to determine how much actual pain a person is in - and it's a guide to determine if someone's pain is increasing - "Last time, when I checked, you were at a 5, & now you feel like the pain is at a 7?" But, still, how do I KNOW if what I'm feeling is a 4 or 5 or if it's really in the 7 or 8 range?

I'm like you, & I think I'm too rational (& conservatively cautious) for a numbered pain scale.

Also, I'm relatively quiet & don't like to make scene & don't want to be a lot of "trouble" - so, while I may be in a lot of pain, I'm not going to be groaning & moaning or screaming loudly. If I'm in pain, while I may get snappy & irritable, I stay mostly quiet.

But, that's neither here nor there, because I have a very high hospital/doctor anxiety, so I'd never go to the ER or hospital voluntarily anyway.

Back on topic...

Kimblebee, I'm so sorry you're having to deal w/ so many health issues! I've heard awful things about kidney stones, & I hope yours is passed quickly & you are able to find some relief!

OT, but YES!!

I feel the EXACT same way about the silly 1-10 pain scale, & I'm so happy to find someone else like me! LOL!

And, what is a 10? To me, 10 is the worst imaginable pain, &, if you're at a 10, you're near death. And how do I know what a 10 feels like? If I'm in a lot of pain, is it a 8 or is this the worst it gets? And there's always something "worse," so, if 10 is the "end" of the scale, that should be the very worst & the very end.

So, I always want to give myself some "room" to move up the pain scale. DH (who is a licensed first responder) has tried to explain to me that everyone's personal 1-10 scale is different & is just used as a guide for medical personnel to try to determine how much actual pain a person is in - and it's a guide to determine if someone's pain is increasing - "Last time, when I checked, you were at a 5, & now you feel like the pain is at a 7?" But, still, how do I KNOW if what I'm feeling is a 4 or 5 or if it's really in the 7 or 8 range?

I'm like you, & I think I'm too rational (& conservatively cautious) for a numbered pain scale.

Also, I'm relatively quiet & don't like to make scene & don't want to be a lot of "trouble" - so, while I may be in a lot of pain, I'm not going to be groaning & moaning or screaming loudly. If I'm in pain, while I may get snappy & irritable, I stay mostly quiet.

But, that's neither here nor there, because I have a very high hospital/doctor anxiety, so I'd never go to the ER or hospital voluntarily anyway.

Back on topic...

Kimblebee, I'm so sorry you're having to deal w/ so many health issues! I've heard awful things about kidney stones, & I hope yours is passed quickly & you are able to find some relief!

I'm with you on the 1-10 scale. I'm pretty tough when it comes to pain so my numbers might be lower than someone else's. For me, the pain last night was the second most pain I've ever been in. Number one will always be the 8 days I suffered with a spinal headache. It felt like an elephant was constantly stepping on my head and it was about to split in half. That, I would consider a 10. At worst, my pain last night was an 8.5-9.

I'm sorry you're going through this but happy to hear they think they will pass. I was in the ER on 4th of July morning with a kidney stone - they said it would pass but 9 days later it had not :( So...off to surgery I went and had to have it removed. I agree it is some of the worst pain I have felt. I hope to goodness I never have something happen to me that hurts worse than that and am in awe of people who live with daily pain at that level. I don't know how they keep themselves sane - bless every one of them!

I hope they pass quickly and you recover quickly as well.

"Pain scales" were created as a way for medical personnel to assess pain and the outcome of pain management interventions. We don't always love them either, lol, but the Joint Commission (the group that accredits hospitals) requires that we assess pain frequently. Where I work it's every four hours or more. You have to remember that not everyone's mental or physical capacity is at the same level. It's simplified so almost everyone can understand and use it. But it is very subjective. Additionally, not everyone can use the numeric scale - some people don't speak the language, or may have special needs, lots of possibilities, so there are other ways to assess pain as well. One way is using a "smiley face" scale. Doctors and especially nurses are also trained in assessing pain in classic ways, by observing the patient and non-verbal cues. It's not an exact science, but it is generally helpful. I've seen many patients talking on their phones or brushing their hair saying their pain is a "10" (or "11"). Most people whose pain is a ten or eleven don't care if the building's on fire, they can't do much other than deal with their pain. Pain management issues are always interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_assessment

I've had frustrations in the hospital myself with pain. (And I'm generally pretty stoic, too.) Once, after delivering my babies and in the setting of a hemorrhage, I was writhing in pain and begging for help. ("It's a ten! It's a ten!") A cocky anesthesiologist came in and couldn't understand my issue; said I was already getting the "max" medication I could get, etc. Until he finally looked at the pump, realized it wasn't set right, and I was only getting 1/3 of the pain medication I should've been getting. Grrr. I also once had to battle with a resident over pain management when my son was hospitalized and screaming in pain, later being so mad I couldn't sleep all night long. And I've also, in my professional role, advocated for many, many patients when it comes to pain. So naturally, I hate hearing stories where patients perceive that their pain is being ignored. There are a lot of issues today, though, when it comes to pain management. There's an interesting history behind it.

https://www.jointcommission.org/topics/pain_management.aspx

That said, kimblebee, I hope you're feeling better soon. :flower3:

OT, but YES!!

My twin! :goodvibes

Yes, they say "10 being the worst pain you can possibly imagine." Maybe I'm more creative than others, but I can imagine some pretty horrific things that could potentially be worse than whatever I'm experiencing.

Totally understand you on not wanting to make "a scene". I find being in pain embarrassing. I also don't like to feel like I'm not in control (which is probably also part of the reason I always decline pain medication). I could be flailing/writhing around and swearing incessantly (but quietly), but if a doctor or nurse walk in I will immediately pull it together so I don't seem like a lunatic.

Fortunately, I have only ever been to the hospital to give birth and for kidney stones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter