Kidney stones SUCK- Question page 5

"Immediately"-- depends on the wait time at that particular ER and could be a very long time (hours)

Why would someone automatically be given an IV? Before being evaluated or knowing what's wrong??

Yeah, I wasn't going out to lunch after my lithotripsy. Bruised, urinating clots of blood, and vomiting (because apparently I am unable to handle any pain meds). It also still took another 5 days before the stone passed.

The pp may have been paying with Travel Insurance?

"Pain scales" were created as a way for medical personnel to assess pain and the outcome of pain management interventions. We don't always love them either, lol, but the Joint Commission (the group that accredits hospitals) requires that we assess pain frequently. Where I work it's every four hours or more. You have to remember that not everyone's mental or physical capacity is at the same level. It's simplified so almost everyone can understand and use it. But it is very subjective. Additionally, not everyone can use the numeric scale - some people don't speak the language, or may have special needs, lots of possibilities, so there are other ways to assess pain as well. One way is using a "smiley face" scale. Doctors and especially nurses are also trained in assessing pain in classic ways, by observing the patient and non-verbal cues. It's not an exact science, but it is generally helpful. I've seen many patients talking on their phones or brushing their hair saying their pain is a "10" (or "11"). Most people whose pain is a ten or eleven don't care if the building's on fire, they can't do much other than deal with their pain. Pain management issues are always interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_assessment

I've had frustrations in the hospital myself with pain. (And I'm generally pretty stoic, too.) Once, after delivering my babies and in the setting of a hemorrhage, I was writhing in pain and begging for help. ("It's a ten! It's a ten!") A cocky anesthesiologist came in and couldn't understand my issue; said I was already getting the "max" medication I could get, etc. Until he finally looked at the pump, realized it wasn't set right, and I was only getting 1/3 of the pain medication I should've been getting. Grrr. I also once had to battle with a resident over pain management when my son was hospitalized and screaming in pain, later being so mad I couldn't sleep all night long. And I've also, in my professional role, advocated for many, many patients when it comes to pain. So naturally, I hate hearing stories where patients perceive that their pain is being ignored. There are a lot of issues today, though, when it comes to pain management. There's an interesting history behind it.

https://www.jointcommission.org/topics/pain_management.aspx

That said, kimblebee, I hope you're feeling better soon. :flower3:

Thank you for explaining it from the other side.

My twin! :goodvibes

Yes, they say "10 being the worst pain you can possibly imagine." Maybe I'm more creative than others, but I can imagine some pretty horrific things that could potentially be worse than whatever I'm experiencing.

Totally understand you on not wanting to make "a scene". I find being in pain embarrassing. I also don't like to feel like I'm not in control (which is probably also part of the reason I always decline pain medication). I could be flailing/writhing around and swearing incessantly (but quietly), but if a doctor or nurse walk in I will immediately pull it together so I don't seem like a lunatic.

Fortunately, I have only ever been to the hospital to give birth and for kidney stones.

I'm like you. I don't like showing that I'm in pain. When I was getting reassessed last night I was doubled over in pain and fighting tears I was still cracking jokes (through gritted teeth). I don't know, I guess it was to show that even though I was in pain I could still show what I'm usually like..like the nurse cared lol

There must be a built in gene in females that we should try and hide our pain. Every time my husband gets a little ache or pain he acts like he's on his deathbed. I love him to death but he's seen me roll my eyes once or twice :oops:

My sincere wishes for a speedy recovery!
Kidney stones are the worst! I've had the displeasure of them several times.

Passed a few stones, had to have one stone surgically removed and a stint inserted for 10 days, and had one attack during late stage of pregnancy. Bonus, I also have several "dormant" stones in each kidney...sort of ticking time bombs!

Fun times!!

I sure hope your pain and kidney stone resolve quickly.

My adult dd gets kidney stones regularly. She had one stone that had to be removed, and then the dr inserted a stent, that was removed after a week. She's had three stones that she passed and caught in a filter, and all other stones just magically disappeared, either that or she passed them but didn't catch them.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Question that I should have asked my dr- how will I know when I pass the stone? I imagine I won't physically feel anything so is it just a guessing game?
I would think you will know when the pain subsides.

I would think you will know when the pain subsides.

I was under the impression (not sure why) that last nights pain was a once and done thing. NOPE it's back. It's not as bad as last night but it's hurting more than just a bit. I don't give it a three but it's moving slowly up. I really hope this doesn't take more than a day or two. I've taken some pain pills so hopefully that stops it from turning into a 9.

My experience in the US is you would have been taken back immediately, given an IV and once evaluated given pain medication.

My dh's experience also! Severe pain goes to the front of the line thankfully. Dh has had 3 episodes - one he was able to finally pass, one he had to have microwave thermotherapy, the other was surgery! Horrible pain and throwing up.

Last edited:
I didn't see that anyone had answered (I only skimmed), but you'll know when it passes...you just will. I have had dozens of stones over the last couple decades and it's to the point now where I don't go to the dr anymore unless there's a lot of blood and it feels too big to pass (sorry for the TMI). If you can get a prescription for Flomax it helps (I was able to pass a 5mm stone on my own with it). It's also better if you can hold off on the pain meds as much as possible so you feel them move down. The other thing that also helps is drinking water with lemon oil (or just lemon) and organic raw apple cider vinegar. According to my urologist the mixture dissolves the stones. It seemed to have worked with my last round. Just make sure it's diluted really well or you'll end up with heartburn too. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've seriously had so many that I feel like a gumball machine. Hope they pass quickly and you feel better soon! Just to give you a heads up, it could be a couple days. There is also the possibility that they could settle without you passing and then move again in a few months or so.

My dh's experience also! Severe pain goes to the front of the line thankfully. Dh has had 3 episodes - one he was able to finally pass, one he had to have microwave thermotherapy, the other was surgery! Horrible pain and throwing up.
Not dh's experience. Kidney stones are usually not life threatening. Depending on whatelse is in the er you may be back of the line. He spent several hours waiting to be seen because there were other more urgent cases in the waiting room. It's the staff's job to move the urgent cases through. When I was pregnant and sent to the prenatal er for pre-eclampsia I was taken ahead of everyone else, even those in labor, because I was more critical. I tried to let people "cut" because I felt fine but nope I was more urgent than they were

Not dh's experience. Kidney stones are usually not life threatening. Depending on whatelse is in the er you may be back of the line. He spent several hours waiting to be seen because there were other more urgent cases in the waiting room. It's the staff's job to move the urgent cases through. When I was pregnant and sent to the prenatal er for pre-eclampsia I was taken ahead of everyone else, even those in labor, because I was more critical. I tried to let people "cut" because I felt fine but nope I was more urgent than they were

Guess we have been very fortunate in where we've lived then. Also, they didn't know (neither did we, of course) what was wrong with him at first - extreme pain, dizziness, throwing up, etc. etc. so took him right in all three times.

How long ago was that? Since the mid-80s the most common way to treat them has been with sonic blasting in water (or at least when my dad had it done). I looked up the medical term, which is "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy". The way I heard his was done, they targeted two shock waves to collide right where the stone was.

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy-eswl-for-kidney-stones

He felt pretty bad after it was over, but it's noninvasive and is supposed to turn them into little chunks.

Lithotripsy domestic work on all stones, only those of certain dimensions.
Trust me, I am full of kidney stones and have been for years so I know the drill ..

I feel so frustrated that this might take a while to pass. I realized tonight that I didn't get a prescription for pain when I was at the hospital. If I go back, I'm sure I'd have to wait all over again. I'm going to see if my dr can fit me in tomorrow just so I can get a prescription for something. If not, I'll head back to the hospital. The pain has subsided for now but it got to about a 8 before it started fading.

I feel so frustrated that this might take a while to pass. I realized tonight that I didn't get a prescription for pain when I was at the hospital. If I go back, I'm sure I'd have to wait all over again. I'm going to see if my dr can fit me in tomorrow just so I can get a prescription for something. If not, I'll head back to the hospital. The pain has subsided for now but it got to about a 8 before it started fading.

So sorry

I was under the impression (not sure why) that last nights pain was a once and done thing. NOPE it's back. It's not as bad as last night but it's hurting more than just a bit. I don't give it a three but it's moving slowly up. I really hope this doesn't take more than a day or two. I've taken some pain pills so hopefully that stops it from turning into a 9.

:hug: AND, vent away! Any release, is a good release right? :)

Last edited:
I didn't see that anyone had answered (I only skimmed), but you'll know when it passes...you just will. I have had dozens of stones over the last couple decades and it's to the point now where I don't go to the dr anymore unless there's a lot of blood and it feels too big to pass (sorry for the TMI). If you can get a prescription for Flomax it helps (I was able to pass a 5mm stone on my own with it). It's also better if you can hold off on the pain meds as much as possible so you feel them move down. The other thing that also helps is drinking water with lemon oil (or just lemon) and organic raw apple cider vinegar. According to my urologist the mixture dissolves the stones. It seemed to have worked with my last round. Just make sure it's diluted really well or you'll end up with heartburn too. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've seriously had so many that I feel like a gumball machine. Hope they pass quickly and you feel better soon! Just to give you a heads up, it could be a couple days. There is also the possibility that they could settle without you passing and then move again in a few months or so.

Yes about the Flomax. I used it for the first time with my last stone.

I always know when they pass. Without getting too graphic I always feel a little (can't think of a good word) tiny movement of something leaving. No pain at all. Then (in my case anyway and it's always the same) usually on my next visit to the bathroom I find the stone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!