Kids and their packing

wanderlust7

DIS Veteran
Wondering what do people do about stuff their kids want to bring on vacation?

I usually let my kids (5 and 8) bring their own backpack, which they have to carry themselves. They tend to take a lot of things that they don't end up using or playing with. Which really goes against my sensibilities as a light packer!

On car trips, I let them fill it up for the most part, I might take a couple things out. On our Japan trip (multiple hotel changes, travel by train), I was more strict and limited it to paper, markers, a few light, small toys. We usually go through a few iterations of they put stuff in, I take stuff out, they put some other stuff in, etc.

Our next trip is a cruise, we'll need to fly, with pre and post 1 night stays where we'll have a rental car. I'm thinking of limiting it to a gallon size bag with a weight limit. 5 lbs maybe??

WWYD? :)

My 7 year old daughter brings along her backpack with a favorite stuffed animal or two, books to read before bed, and her blanket. I'm sure some random items make it in there, too, but it's not a big deal.

Our cruising trip involves flying, 1 night stay before, and taking the Disney coach bus to/from the port.

My 7 year old daughter brings along her backpack with a favorite stuffed animal or two, books to read before bed, and her blanket. I'm sure some random items make it in there, too, but it's not a big deal.

Our cruising trip involves flying, 1 night stay before, and taking the Disney coach bus to/from the port.

That sounds very reasonable! Maybe it's just my kids who want to bring everything and the kitchen sink! :laughing:

We are very very light packers (I get some weird sense of accomplishment when I get 4 days of business travel attire into 1 backpack and then spend the trip telling colleagues all about it).

For a cruise specifically they bring an iPad and 2 physical books. There are so many things to do on the ship and they can go play in the kids club if they want to draw or play a board game. The iPad and books get us through the flights and any bedtime.

My kids were 6 and 9 on our last cruise and we let them choose what to wear... then we edited it down to a reasonable amount for the trip.

They are responsible for carrying their backpack: it needs to fit their loveys, change of clothes, one sandwich size ziploc for Legos, headphones, electronic device, 2-3 books, coloring stuff. That's it.

For the cruise, we're leaving the Legos and electronics behind. We'll bring cards and a small travel board game instead.

As for clothes: I do an outfit grid for everyone (it helps prevent overpacking) and I pack the boys clothes in large ziploc bags (I get the 2-3 gallon size from the dollar store) labeled for each day.

As for clothes: I do an outfit grid for everyone (it helps prevent overpacking) and I pack the boys clothes in large ziploc bags (I get the 2-3 gallon size from the dollar store) labeled for each day.

Please tell me more about this "outfit grid"

Our next trip is a cruise, we'll need to fly, with pre and post 1 night stays where we'll have a rental car. I'm thinking of limiting it to a gallon size bag with a weight limit. 5 lbs maybe??

Since this is their backpacks I think you're talking about, and they are the ones carrying them, why limit it?

I limit it to things he doesn't mind losing (no Legos on the plane or a cruise because those modes of transportation move and things can get lost) and I like him to be logical, not still.

Since this is their backpacks I think you're talking about, and they are the ones carrying them, why limit it?

I limit it to things he doesn't mind losing (no Legos on the plane or a cruise because those modes of transportation move and things can get lost) and I like him to be logical, not still.

That was my gut reaction too. As long as it is clear to them that they are responsible for carrying the packs and you will not carry the packs or any items removed because of weight, let them at it.

IF they figure out it is too much, that will be a lesson that hopefully they have learned for the next time.

We are very very light packers (I get some weird sense of accomplishment when I get 4 days of business travel attire into 1 backpack and then spend the trip telling colleagues all about it).

I love that! I totally get the weird sense of accomplishment. :laughing: Not to your level, but I'm proud of myself for being able to fit everything for our family of 4 into one 25 inch checked luggage (plus regular size backpacks for everyone). And yet my DH will always ask do we need all that stuff? :rolleyes:

That was my gut reaction too. As long as it is clear to them that they are responsible for carrying the packs and you will not carry the packs or any items removed because of weight, let them at it.

IF they figure out it is too much, that will be a lesson that hopefully they have learned for the next time.

I think I need to set some sort of limit because I've seen them stuff it full. Like can hardly get the zipper closed full. They're pretty good about carrying it themselves for the most part...but invariably we end up having to handle the backpacks at some point (putting in the car, helping them through airport security, making sure the 5 year old doesn't drop it on the rental car shuttle...).

Yes, it may be a good life lesson to totally let them decide. But I think I'm not willing to deal with the consequences of that decision on vacation. They can learn that life lesson when they grow up. :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies. Seems maybe categories will work better, think I'll try that. :)

I just pack for my kids because they would bring a ton of unnecessary stuff if I didn't and wouldn't bring the things they actually need. When they have asked if they can bring toys I tell them we don't have room. We have to fly so everyone in our family brings a backpack (carry on) and checks a bag. My daughter (9) gets her blanket, iPad, charger, a book and headphones, earplanes as well as a spare change of clothes* and a couple snacks for the plane in her backpack. My son (14) gets his phone, charger, headphones, snacks, earplanes, full change of clothes and a book. They both have to carry their own backpacks. We stay so busy on vacation that aside from when they were infants/toddlers they have never needed toys outside of maybe a deck of cards or a book. They also know that any souvenirs they buy will have to fit in their backpacks on the way home so they are ok packing light.

*Each of us ALWAYS packs a full change of clothes in our carry ons just in case our luggage is lost or delayed.

Please tell me more about this "outfit grid"
It's literally a chart with each day plotted.
For example, here's my boys list (not including bathing suits) :
Sat: New Mickey shirts w/ khaki shorts
Sun: button up, blue tie, chino pants, belts, navy blazer
Mon: shark shirts/shorts
Tues: Tee/shorts
Wed: pirate shirt, bandana, camo shorts
Thurs: Red button ups w/khaki pants
Fri: Red Mickey shirt & shorts

Each day gets packed in one ziploc bag so I can throw it at them and tell them to get dressed. Lol
I'm ridiculous but an amazing packer!
My grid is very similar. I even do DH. Lol

Anxiety FTW!

It's literally a chart with each day plotted.
For example, here's my boys list (not including bathing suits) :
Sat: New Mickey shirts w/ khaki shorts
Sun: button up, blue tie, chino pants, belts, navy blazer
Mon: shark shirts/shorts
Tues: Tee/shorts
Wed: pirate shirt, bandana, camo shorts
Thurs: Red button ups w/khaki pants
Fri: Red Mickey shirt & shorts

Each day gets packed in one ziploc bag so I can throw it at them and tell them to get dressed. Lol
I'm ridiculous but an amazing packer!
My grid is very similar. I even do DH. Lol

Anxiety FTW!

lol ok, I think I get it, and with kids (especially depending on age) I might plan different pants each day, for example, but don't you re-use clothing (esp pants or a button up) won't that get confusing?

lol ok, I think I get it, and with kids (especially depending on age) I might plan different pants each day, for example, but don't you re-use clothing (esp pants or a button up) won't that get confusing?
My boys are 6 and 9. They wear their day on their clothes. There is no chance for reusing. Lol

Our kids are older now, but when younger they were allowed to bring whatever extra they wanted in their backpack that they carried. We would talk ahead of time though about bringing things they wouldn't want to lose, etc. Toys with millions of little parts, their most favorite whatever. They generally made pretty good choices. Now that they're older, they bring whatever they want as long as they are carrying it. Dd, age 18, brought a full Cat Noir cosplay, complete with wig on a stand, to France so she could take pictures in Paris. It was the highlight of her trip. She gladly lugged that wig head all over Europe afterwards.

DD is one of those who would pack the kitchen sink if her bag was big enough! She's required to pack certain items (change of clothes, small toiletry kit, etc.) and we have discussions about what might not be appropriate (small pieces, special items, etc.) and that she is responsible for all of it - no crying if something gets lost. Then she makes pretty good decisions. Her pack is usually jammed full, but she deals with it all. I double-check the suitcase and have been known to adjust those contents as necessary, but the backpack is up to her.

Enjoy your cruise!

This thread reminded me of the time my family went on a month long RV trip around the USA. My parents let us pack our own suitcases (we were ages 7-10) and each of us packed a suitcase full of dolls instead of clothes. My parents were not happy when they realized on our trip what we had done! LOL

I give each child a packing list.

Their backpack list will say things like:
2 books
1 small stuffed animal
3 small toys
1 water bottle
(etc)

Their suitcase packing list will include:
2 pairs summer pajamas
8 pairs underpants
2 bathing suits
(etc)

They are then given a laundry basket to put everything in.

We then go through the packing list, making sure that everything is there, and that they haven't brought (much) that isn't on the list.

I may then afterwards adjust on my own, if needed.

I like this because it gives them the structure to successfully pack themselves.
The idea is that as they get a little older, they can then make their own packing list, I will check that, and then they will pack themselves.

(My oldest is 9, so we aren't there yet.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter