Kids crossing the border without parents

LuzzBightyear

Mouseketeer
A relative may be taking one of my kids to WDW without either parent.
Would they need anything else besides a valid passport and a note signed by both parents?
Any other tips from anyone who has done this that we should be aware of?

A relative may be taking one of my kids to WDW without either parent.
Would they need anything else besides a valid passport and a note signed by both parents?
Any other tips from anyone who has done this that we should be aware of?

Outside of the note it is also a good idea to give the guardian who will have the kids the right to make medical decisions in the event of an emergency. It is sometimes seen as a little extreme but if something were to happen that needed a split second decision waiting ot get you on the phone (and any potential time difference) could be eating away at valuable life saving time.

When I left my kids with my parents in FL I gave them a notarized note giving them authority to make emergency medical decisions. I also had the government form for kids traveling alone filled and notarized. Our town hall only charge 5$ per form to notarize them.

Form: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

I thought the letter of permission had to be notarized but I could be wrong
I think you can only have a witness sign it but I prefer having it notarized.

It also depends a bit on the kid's age. Remember the at 16 a child is considered independent for travel, and even prior to that Border Security is more likely to ask older kids what the situation is, and if the answer meshes, there is no problem. Notarised letters are a very good idea for infant or very young children.

Best thing to do is to ask the Border officials if you can. Are they travelling by land or air? If by land, I don't believe they need a passport. I also don't think the letter needs to be notarized. It's a good idea but it does cost a fair amount (I believe notary publics in Canada charge about $90 for a signature ...) Personally, I'd probably give a letter along with a photocopy of the parents id (ideally passport but DL is probably fine too).

If traveling by land then they only need note(doesnt need to be notorized,though if quested it could be easier but put phone number on it to contact you if they need to) and a birth certificate. By air they will need passports and a note

If traveling by land then they only need note(doesnt need to be notorized,though if quested it could be easier but put phone number on it to contact you if they need to) and a birth certificate. By air they will need passports and a note
A passport is needed if travelling by land as well. When we drive across the border in Buffalo, we need our passports.

I took my nephew to Florida a couple of years ago (he would have been 14/15) and we went through to the US ok but coming back we were asked for a letter at Border Services in Toronto. Thought it was odd that we could take him to Florida but were checked to see if we could bring him back :P

Granted we don't travel over any international borders, but when our high school takes band students to Florida (from Texas) they have a notary at one parent meeting and a form the school lawyer drew up with power of attorney.

But it does make it easier, anything that makes the border crossing easier is worth itin my opinion.

I've always used a passport (and so do the children in the family), but I'm not sure how much easier it really makes it - we just all have passports anyway (since mainly we fly plus travel outside of Canada/US). But, mainly, I was posting to correct the incorrect assertion that they are needed if traveling by land, so that the correct information is in the thread.

I often travel to US just me and kids and I do the letter on the government website. It doesn't require it to be notarized. My husband signs it and we have never had an issue EXCEPT once coming back to Canada! I have never been asked for the letter going into the US but CBS asked for it coming back to Canada. I wasn't even sure I still had it but I dug through my purse and found it. After I gave it to the person they still questioned me. I had my Canadian passport my two children's Canadian passports and we were trying to get into Canada! I was flustered and finally said my husband is right on the other side of that wall if you want to go ask him why he didn't come with us! We were at Pearson and he was literally right there. The agent just mumbled "next time get it notarized" but the next time I had plans to travel outside of Canada I clarified with CBS it was not required to be notarized. Still all the time crossing between US and Canada that was the only agent ever to ask me for the letter! And it was to get back into the country!

To OP as well I often take my son's teammates with me across to the US with the same letter on the website. They aren't family, but it the same process. Having the valid Canadian passport and the letter is all you will need. Again I have never been asked for the letter but it's just a comfort to have it.

I found the same form online but I had one I preferred that had the medical part so I could seek treatment and make decisions if needed.

I took my nephew to Florida a couple of years ago (he would have been 14/15) and we went through to the US ok but coming back we were asked for a letter at Border Services in Toronto. Thought it was odd that we could take him to Florida but were checked to see if we could bring him back :P
The Canadian officers asked my wife once when she and the kids came back from the UK but they weren't asked going there. But the fact that any customs officer could ask is reason enough to have a letter, notarized or not.

I have taken my niece's on many trips. They rarely ask when leaving Canada but 9/10 times they ask and almost grill me when bringing them back. Seems a bit backwards. You would think they would be checking more when leaving not returning.

A few years ago my son and I went to Disney with another single mom and her son. We both had notarized letters from the fathers (recommended by Foriegn Affairs for any international travel). My friend and her son weren't questioned but I was asked to provide the letter on the way down (not coming back though). They had a quick glance at the letter, asked my son a few questions and we were on our way. He was ten at the time. I think they just do random checks and it's always best to be safe with a notarized letter.

I took my 9 year old niece to Disney last September and had a letter signed by both parents and notarized. I was asked for a coy immediately by customs on both sides of the border. Its much easier to do it ahead of time rather than get to the border and be refused entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter