Kids' souvenir budget

I gave each of my grandkids (6,6, and4) a $100 gift card (which I bought at BJs for $95 each!). They knew they had to decide what they really wanted. I was surprised they didn’t spend it all the first day or two, but they didn’t!

Snacks are separate, thanks for checking!

The reason I was posing the question is that, as an infrequent WDW-goer, while I know costs will be elevated above the "real world," I have no concept of how much. Would $50 buy a nice sweatshirt? One sizeable stuffed animal? A cool piece of art? Or could I get such things for $40? $30? Again, part of my goal is to help illustrate the difference between buying a few small, cheap things and one nicer big thing - so I want to ensure that the dollar amount I set is sufficient for a nicer big thing. I hope this makes sense!
My teen daughter bought two hoodies at the price of $60 each

I think our kids had about $50 each the first time we went when they were 9, 9, and 10. Then we went again two years later and they had a little more, maybe $75. They use that money on whatever they want. All three were able to get a nice t-shirt or hoodie and a few fun little trinkets. They loved having the money to spend, and I loved not being pestered about every little thing they though they needed to have.

Hi, we are going this summer for 7 days. my daughter is 6 y.o. And she has been saving up for this trip. I would like to give her the freedom to use her money, but I'd also like to be able to guide her.

In general, I dont allow inpromptu buying. So if she sees something, I ask that she keeps it in mind for a while and we will "think about it" together. Usually she forgets and next time wont care for it. Other times, we may end up buying it after having thought about it.

She has gotten in this habit, but with WDW i imagine this may not be possible? This will be our first and possibly only trip. I saw someone said making a list and going back later, but if its in the park, we wont be able to go back (dont have park hopper). Or do all the gift shops sell the same things?

Hi, we are going this summer for 7 days. my daughter is 6 y.o. And she has been saving up for this trip. I would like to give her the freedom to use her money, but I'd also like to be able to guide her.

In general, I dont allow inpromptu buying. So if she sees something, I ask that she keeps it in mind for a while and we will "think about it" together. Usually she forgets and next time wont care for it. Other times, we may end up buying it after having thought about it.

She has gotten in this habit, but with WDW i imagine this may not be possible? This will be our first and possibly only trip. I saw someone said making a list and going back later, but if its in the park, we wont be able to go back (dont have park hopper). Or do all the gift shops sell the same things?
All the gifts shops do not sell the same items...a lesson I learned the hard way;).

Maybe look on line and get an idea of what she hankers for....there will be more choices at the parks. I can't recall the exact addy of the Disney store but you've probably received emails from them if you booked online.

We didn't have park hoppers either, but what I did for my 7 year old twins was to note what they wanted while we were in a park, then if they still wanted it at the end of the day, we could come back to that store before we left the park in the evening. My son is very impulsive and this helped him be able to decide if it was something he really wanted to spend $$ on or if he just thought it was cool.

All the gifts shops do not sell the same items...a lesson I learned the hard way;).

Maybe look on line and get an idea of what she hankers for....there will be more choices at the parks. I can't recall the exact addy of the Disney store but you've probably received emails from them if you booked online.

Ahhh... this is very important to know. I was simply imagining that they are fancier versions of the disney store. Do the gift shops within a park sell the same things though?

We didn't have park hoppers either, but what I did for my 7 year old twins was to note what they wanted while we were in a park, then if they still wanted it at the end of the day, we could come back to that store before we left the park in the evening. My son is very impulsive and this helped him be able to decide if it was something he really wanted to spend $$ on or if he just thought it was cool.

Gotcha. Thanks. I think we will use this same strategy!

Ahhh... this is very important to know. I was simply imagining that they are fancier versions of the disney store. Do the gift shops within a park sell the same things though?

Gotcha. Thanks. I think we will use this same strategy!
Each park has some items that you can find at all the parks but a lot of stuff that can only be found at specific parks.

Should you have a camera feature on your cell phone take pictures of what your DD likes when you first see them and then as PP suggested buy "The One" on the way out of the park. Saves confusion all around and when you stop for a snack or to eat take the down time to start editing out the ones that are runner ups until she gets to "The One".

One of the best things we ever did was get each of our kids a pre-loaded Disney gift card for their souvenir purchases. We loaded them with $50. They really thought about their purchases because once the gift card was gone there would be no money for any souvenirs. Before we gave them their own gift cards, after every ride they would beg for something from the "conveniently" located gift store. After they were given control of their very own gift cards, there was much more thought put into their purchases. Some trips we would even come home with money left on our gift cards to use on our next trip!

I am going for 4 weeks, during which time we will have 5 nieces stay with us, 2 without their parents. My plan, to avoid them spending a lot of money on rubbish, is to give them $30-$50 each, and then say I will buy them each one “special” present and one Christmas ornament. If they have other money then that’s great, but that’s what I can pay for (x5). For most of them, this money is being given as an early birthday or Christmas present.

The “special” thing will vary by age. I intend to steer the 2 and 5 year old towards something under $50. The 9 and 14 year old sisters will probably get jewellery from the pearl place in Japan, or something else up to about $75-$100. The other older niece will definitely get the pearl jewellery as it’s a family tradition, and my husband has promised her a giant Stitch (without my knowledge, which is why he’s the favourite uncle!).

I imagine that the older girls will all have some extra money from other family members, but that’s outside of the scope of my responsibility. If they buy nothing else, each of them will still be able to get a toy, a tshirt, a Christmas ornament and something “nice”, which should be plenty to remember their trip.

I was going to give them each a gift card when they arrive, with their money loaded onto it. Luckily, as the aunt, I tend not to get too much whining and “I want”, but that just makes it easier for me and them to keep track of the money, esp with the two sets of sisters.

One of the best things we ever did was get each of our kids a pre-loaded Disney gift card for their souvenir purchases. We loaded them with $50. They really thought about their purchases because once the gift card was gone there would be no money for any souvenirs. Before we gave them their own gift cards, after every ride they would beg for something from the "conveniently" located gift store. After they were given control of their very own gift cards, there was much more thought put into their purchases. Some trips we would even come home with money left on our gift cards to use on our next trip!

I’m really pleased to hear this, as I intend to get the gift cards for exactly this reason. Hopefully it will work as well for our family!

One year, my MIL gave each of my 4 kids $200 in spending money. It sounds like a lot, and it was (IMHO), but I know better than to stand between a generous grandmother and her favorite grandkids! But one thing we did was tell the kids they had $50 in each park. They didn't HAVE to spend it, but that was the limit. Any money left over would go into their bank accounts.

I found with my younger kids, this was more than enough. They did pick out a couple, meaningful items, and that was it. My older son was ~12, and obsessed with Pokemon. We went into the Japanese department store, and he wanted to buy a ton of the cards--because, you know, you can't get those in every Walmart across America or anything, right? We reminded him of the park limit, he pushed back that it was HIS money, HE wanted to spend it all, and he didn't care if he had no spending money in any other park (this was Day 2 or so). Well, we conceded--it was, in fact, his money, we had just been trying to help him budget.

You know the punch line, don't you? We get to Tatooine Traders in the Studios a day or so later, and he was one broke and hurting camper! He's now 20, and he STILL doesn't learn lessons unless they're painful.

Following - we have a 6-year-old we're taking on his first WDW trip for his 7th bday. He's going to want to carry a boatload of money.

This is a great idea. My guy likes the idea of "credit cards" so I think we'll get gift cards for some of his spending money.

One year, my MIL gave each of my 4 kids $200 in spending money. It sounds like a lot, and it was (IMHO), but I know better than to stand between a generous grandmother and her favorite grandkids! But one thing we did was tell the kids they had $50 in each park. They didn't HAVE to spend it, but that was the limit. Any money left over would go into their bank accounts.

I found with my younger kids, this was more than enough. They did pick out a couple, meaningful items, and that was it. My older son was ~12, and obsessed with Pokemon. We went into the Japanese department store, and he wanted to buy a ton of the cards--because, you know, you can't get those in every Walmart across America or anything, right? We reminded him of the park limit, he pushed back that it was HIS money, HE wanted to spend it all, and he didn't care if he had no spending money in any other park (this was Day 2 or so). Well, we conceded--it was, in fact, his money, we had just been trying to help him budget.

You know the punch line, don't you? We get to Tatooine Traders in the Studios a day or so later, and he was one broke and hurting camper! He's now 20, and he STILL doesn't learn lessons unless they're painful.

I can just hear this in my future. In fact, probably within the next week, from my 6-year-old! He already tells me "but it's MY money". My response now is, yes, it is but my job is to help you learn how to use it properly while you're still little. I don't anticipate that argument will still work in 6 years.

:D I just want you to know that grandparents don't have favorites; it's written in the advanced manual we received same as the novice version you (and we) got starting out in parenthood;).

I can just hear this in my future. In fact, probably within the next week, from my 6-year-old! He already tells me "but it's MY money". My response now is, yes, it is but my job is to help you learn how to use it properly while you're still little. I don't anticipate that argument will still work in 6 years.
You know, I wouldn't have minded him spending all his money in one place if (a) it wasn't something he could literally buy, 3 miles from home, and (b) I didn't have to hear him whine the rest of the trip (the POTC giftshop caused another "regret tantrum".) But we felt that the larger picture was worth it. And it did work--when he was 17, same "Grandma deal", he chose a katana (ceremonial sword) from the same dept. store. That's a souvenir he thought about, deliberately chose, and continues to cherish. So, there IS hope for kids like this...if you don't kill them in their sleep during the learning phase!

You know, I wouldn't have minded him spending all his money in one place if (a) it wasn't something he could literally buy, 3 miles from home, and (b) I didn't have to hear him whine the rest of the trip (the POTC giftshop caused another "regret tantrum".) But we felt that the larger picture was worth it. And it did work--when he was 17, same "Grandma deal", he chose a katana (ceremonial sword) from the same dept. store. That's a souvenir he thought about, deliberately chose, and continues to cherish. So, there IS hope for kids like this...if you don't kill them in their sleep during the learning phase!
I hear ya. I had that conversation with my guy today. He's always asking for popcorn or some snack at the check out line. I remind him I can make him a batch of popcorn 3X's the size for zero money as we already have it. Or that I can buy him a BIG bag of whatever snack....which reminds me, we did forget to pick up the cheese puffs he requested. Apparently, he forgot before we got out the door because he never asked where they were.

I hear ya. I had that conversation with my guy today. He's always asking for popcorn or some snack at the check out line. I remind him I can make him a batch of popcorn 3X's the size for zero money as we already have it. Or that I can buy him a BIG bag of whatever snack....which reminds me, we did forget to pick up the cheese puffs he requested. Apparently, he forgot before we got out the door because he never asked where they were.
OT, but a funny story: My younger son is 12. He had a Scout camping trip this past weekend, and stopped at Panera for lunch on the way home. He bought mac and cheese for $8.20, and texted me to ask why we don't eat at Panera. Um, because the mac and cheese is $8.20 for one person! We're a family of 6--we'd go broke eating that on a regular basis! It did lead to a discussion on food costs, and the value of making things yourself. And I don't mind him having the occasional treat, but geez! So, clearly, I still have some work ahead of me here...

Disney is expensive, and there are a lot of really neat things for kids they can't get elsewhere. Someone else mentioned the picking out a pearl in Japan on an Epcot day, my son does this every trip. What about the new Banshee toys at AK Pandora...not to mention a t-shirt, stuffed animal etc. If this is a one time trip, I'd .ake the budget as high per child as you can possibly afford for the memories. If you go often the budget may not have to be as high, they can get the other items on another trip. For me, I just don't like to say no at Disney. I feel like we are structured at home, no soda, earn every second of video game time they are allowed to do, save money for toys they want etc. So at Disney or on Vacation we go overboard a bit. Our normal is around $300 for spending at Disney, more if we do Harry Potter at Universal. No matter how much $ you give them, the time spent and the memories made each day are the most important. They will have an amazing trip!

I think your idea to have them practice budgeting is great! We did something close with DS - we would typically buy him a shirt or hat (because we always paid for clothes at home) but we made sure he had some of his own spending money to make toy decisions with. When he was little, Santa or the Easter Bunny would give him Disney Dollars. As he got older, we would offer extra chore opportunities, or he would save allowance or birthday money or whatever.

I think $50 or $60 is reasonable. If there really are two "perfect" things and you're tempted to change your mind, one parent can secretly go back and get the thing they didn't buy to save for the next birthday or holiday gift. (Pretend to go to the bathroom and have it sent to the resort.)

It's good to occasionally explain your own purchases to them as well. When they are shopping with you at home, you can show them examples of when you chose one large thing or two small ones, etc.

Also remember if the child is contemplating about spending their money that not all items are available at every park.

Important point! - It isn't always practical to go back at the end of the trip. You know your kids, and you'll probably be able to tell if something they're looking at is going to be something they'll really play with a lot, even if it's near the beginning of the trip.

We have a family friend who is a CM, and she will "babysit" so DW and I can have date nights. The kids love her as a person, but also love shopping with her because of her discounts...LOL.

:laughing: Smart kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter