Kimonos?

droycro

Mouseketeer
We will be at WDW from Dec 27-Jan 3. We are planning to be at Hollywood Studios on December 30. We were thinking of heading over to Kimonos for dinner as we are big sushi fans. Seeing as we'll be at the World during a VERY busy time, when i called to make reservations for Kimonos, the person on the phone told me they don't take reservations. The restaurant opens at 5:30. Would we be OK showing up right when it opens? Will it be worth the walk over? If you've eaten there, did you enjoy it? Thanks!

I think you'd be ok showing up at opening. We went during Christmas week 2015 and went later than opening and were able to find two seats at the sushi bar.

It's SO good! We've been there a few times. If you don't feel like walking it's the first stop on the Friendship Boats from DHS.

Do a search for Kimonos, and you'll probably find an overwhelming amount of positive reviews. Kimonos is probably the best Sushi in Disney proper, and also, I believe it has been voted best sushi in Orlando by some local polling entity.

My take:
If you like sushi, and you live in an area where you have plenty of options for sushi, Kimonos is not going to supplant your local favorite place. It will probably be the best sushi you can find in the Dis for the price, and my take on the menu is that you'll see some things that are "standard price," and some things that seem expensive. I'd load up on the stuff that is standard priced, because that's what'll probably make you think, "Damn, this is some decent quality for the price...AT DISNEYWORLD." If I stay Epcot area, I'm probably going to go to Kimonos a few times during my stay, there is no doubt I'd go at least once. It's sushi, so it's gonna be expensive-ish, no matter what, but for Disneyworld, it's better than paying Disney-ish prices for average fare - if that makes any sense. Some of the food at Disney is overpriced and not very good, and some of it is a relative bargain. Kimonos is easily a relative bargain if you stick with the stuff on the menu that seems like standard pricing. Just an opinion for you. I'm a big fan of Kimonos, just don't build it up too much, and think you're gonna get the bestest sushi you ever had in your entire life, and you'll be pretty damn pleased, I think. You'll also want Ample Hills on The Boardwalk for desert if you're ice cream fans. It's about a 10 minute walk from Kimonos, and that's 10 minutes if you walk slow and chase a few lizards, and stare at the swan and dolphin statues on top of the hotels a few times and wonder what kind of mind altering substances the architect was enjoying. That's a freekin' catfish!

Do a search for Kimonos, and you'll probably find an overwhelming amount of positive reviews. Kimonos is probably the best Sushi in Disney proper, and also, I believe it has been voted best sushi in Orlando by some local polling entity.

My take:
If you like sushi, and you live in an area where you have plenty of options for sushi, Kimonos is not going to supplant your local favorite place. It will probably be the best sushi you can find in the Dis for the price, and my take on the menu is that you'll see some things that are "standard price," and some things that seem expensive. I'd load up on the stuff that is standard priced, because that's what'll probably make you think, "Damn, this is some decent quality for the price...AT DISNEYWORLD." If I stay Epcot area, I'm probably going to go to Kimonos a few times during my stay, there is no doubt I'd go at least once. It's sushi, so it's gonna be expensive-ish, no matter what, but for Disneyworld, it's better than paying Disney-ish prices for average fare - if that makes any sense. Some of the food at Disney is overpriced and not very good, and some of it is a relative bargain. Kimonos is easily a relative bargain if you stick with the stuff on the menu that seems like standard pricing. Just an opinion for you. I'm a big fan of Kimonos, just don't build it up too much, and think you're gonna get the bestest sushi you ever had in your entire life, and you'll be pretty damn pleased, I think. You'll also want Ample Hills on The Boardwalk for desert if you're ice cream fans. It's about a 10 minute walk from Kimonos, and that's 10 minutes if you walk slow and chase a few lizards, and stare at the swan and dolphin statues on top of the hotels a few times and wonder what kind of mind altering substances the architect was enjoying. That's a freekin' catfish!

Your reply cracked me up! Thanks for your honest opinion - much appreciated :-)

My take:

Yes, Kimono's + lizards + staring at Swan/Dolphin statues and thinking WTH + Ample Hills = perfect WDW evening! LOL!

I agree with Chris. Its good Sushi but I can get sushi here in central Ohio just as good.

The Sashimi at the California Grill is another story. I've never had fish that great.

The restaurant opens at 5:30. Would we be OK showing up right when it opens? Will it be worth the walk over?
You needn't rush. As good as it is, Kimono's is a vastly underutilized venue. I've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin probably no fewer than 25 times and I've never seen anyone turned away due to crowding. There are rare occasions where a conference might cause a swelling of the crowd during karaoke, but that is rare.

You needn't rush. As good as it is, Kimono's is a vastly underutilized venue. I've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin probably no fewer than 25 times and I've never seen anyone turned away due to crowding. There are rare occasions where a conference might cause a swelling of the crowd during karaoke, but that is rare.

Thanks! Good to know :-)

We will be at WDW from Dec 27-Jan 3. We are planning to be at Hollywood Studios on December 30. We were thinking of heading over to Kimonos for dinner as we are big sushi fans. Seeing as we'll be at the World during a VERY busy time, when i called to make reservations for Kimonos, the person on the phone told me they don't take reservations. The restaurant opens at 5:30. Would we be OK showing up right when it opens? Will it be worth the walk over? If you've eaten there, did you enjoy it? Thanks!

We go every trip and always show up right at opening time. Best sushi on property, IMHO.

We stayed at the Swan where Kimonos is located last week and ordered a bunch of stuff through room service after MK PM EMH. Surprisingly, they gave us AAA 20% off regular menu prices. Delivery to our suite cost $5, and was beautifully presented and sent with everything we needed to enjoy the food that was fresh and good quality. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!