• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Mouse13

DIS Veteran
Any other Dis Board fans playing the new Kingdom Hearts game? DS and I are both playing separate games on our DSs. DS is on day 72 and I'm still on day 16 (I have "adult" things like work that keep me from playing as much as I would like :)!) It's an amazing game and were just wondering if others are enjoying it as much as we are.

If you don't mind my asking, how old is your DS? Is the game appropriate for, say, a mature eight year old? I think the rating is E-10, but I wonder if it is because of violence or what? My two boys (8 and eleven) would love to have it, but I need a little feedback first! TIA for any input! :goodvibes

I have a Nintendo DS but I don't have that game. What do you do? Is it fun for adults? I like all kinds of games from Animal Crossings to crosswords to brain games.

If you don't mind my asking, how old is your DS? Is the game appropriate for, say, a mature eight year old? I think the rating is E-10, but I wonder if it is because of violence or what? My two boys (8 and eleven) would love to have it, but I need a little feedback first! TIA for any input! :goodvibes

DS is 11. I have played all of the Kindgom Hearts games and DS grew up watching me. This is the first one for the DS and I don't think I would have a problem letting an 8 yr. old play it. There are battles but they are against fictional type enemies such as fire flowers, a big blob named darkside, a suit of armor, etc. There isn't any blood or gore. It's more fantasy. The game is a mix of Disney and Final Fantasy and, although the story line is very in depth, can be a lot of fun even if you don't "get it" all. It's fun and fantasy. We love it and highly recommend it. As a fan and for the most enjoyment, I would recommend beginning with Kingdom Hearts I and II for the Playstation 2, but if that's not possible I wouldn't hesitate to begin with this game.

A good overview is available at Wikipedia under the Kingdom Hearts entry and includes the following info about the game:

Story
The three main games in the Kingdom Hearts series focus on the adventures of Sora and his search for his friends, Kairi and Riku. The first game shows how Sora is separated from his friends when their world is invaded by an army of corrupted hearts known as the Heartless. During the invasion, he obtains a weapon capable of combating the Heartless known as the Keyblade. Soon after, Sora meets Donald Duck and Goofy, two emissaries from Disney Castle searching for the "key" per instructions from King Mickey.[46][47] The three band together and travel to different Disney-themed worlds, sealing the hearts of the worlds to prevent more Heartless invasions. Along the way, they encounter a group of Disney villains, led by Maleficent, who are controlling the Heartless.[48][49] Though they eventually defeat Maleficent, the three discover that a man named Ansem is the true antagonist. Ansem's plan is to open the door to "Kingdom Hearts" in the hopes of attaining eternal darkness. Sora, Donald, and Goofy defeat Ansem, and seal the door with the help of Riku and King Mickey on the other side of the door.

After sealing the door to Kingdom Hearts, the three begin searching for Riku and King Mickey, finding themselves heading towards a mysterious fortress called Castle Oblivion.[50][51] Upon entering the fortress, they begin to lose their memories.[52] The three encounter a group of dark hooded villains, part of a mysterious Organization. In the castle, Sora learns his memories have been manipulated by a girl named Naminé who was being held captive by the Organization. To allow them to regain their memories, Naminé puts Sora, Donald, and Goofy to sleep for a year; in the process, they must lose the memories of their experience in Castle Oblivion.[53] At the same time, Riku finds himself in the basement of the castle and begins traveling to the first floor with the aid of King Mickey. Riku fights both the Organization's members and the darkness in his heart, learning to accept his dual nature between light and dark.[54]

A year later, Sora, Donald, and Goofy awaken in Twilight Town, with no memory of their time at Castle Oblivion, and resume their search for Riku and King Mickey. They learn of the Nobodies and are re-familiarized with their leaders, Organization XIII. Afterwards, Maleficent is resurrected and joins with Pete, another Disney villain, to find a new base of operations before resuming her quest for power. Sora once again travels to many Disney-themed worlds and resolves the troubles caused by Organization XIII, the Heartless, Maleficent and Pete, and local villains. Meanwhile, Kairi is kidnapped by the Organization. They meet King Mickey, who reveals that the "Ansem" Sora defeated was actually the Heartless of Xehanort, a student of the real Ansem the Wise. Xemnas, the leader of Organization XIII, reveals himself to be the Nobody of Xehanort.[55][56] The three arrive at the headquarters of Organization XIII, with Kingdom Hearts looming overhead. Ansem the Wise uses a device that dissipates some of Kingdom Hearts' power, but a system overload causes the machine to explode and kill Ansem.[57] At the top of the castle, Sora and his friends battle Xemnas, who uses the remnants of Kingdom Hearts to fight them.[58] After Xemnas' defeat, Sora and Riku are reunited with their friends at Destiny Islands, their home.[59] Sometime later, Sora, Riku and Kairi receive a message from King Mickey, the contents of which are not revealed to the player.

Gameplay
The Kingdom Hearts series games contain elements from both action and role-playing games. The games are driven by a linear progression from one story event to the next, usually shown in the form of a cut scene, though there are numerous side quests available that provide bonus benefits to the characters. The player primarily controls the principal protagonist of the series, Sora. Sora is usually accompanied by Donald Duck and Goofy, who are non-playable characters that aid Sora in battle. In the first and third game, their behavior could be altered to suit different combat objectives. The games feature real-time combat that incorporates physical attacks, magic, and summonings, though each game handled battles differently.

Gummi Ships are another common element of the series, though they are not featured in the second title. The Gummi Ships serve as the main mode of transportation between worlds in the games. The gameplay for the Gummi Ships sections is more akin to a rail shooter. Because it received negative criticism in the first game, it was modified in the third title.[60] All three games also feature a journal which is accessible from the main menu. The journal keeps track of information regarding the story, characters, enemies, and locations. In the game, the journal is kept by Jiminy Cricket, who was appointed by Queen Minnie as the royal chronicler.[61]

A battle in the first Kingdom HeartsThe games are influenced by their parent franchise, Final Fantasy,[62] and carry its gameplay elements over into their own action-based, hack-and-slash system. Like many traditional role-playing games, Kingdom Hearts features an experience point system which determines character development. As enemies are defeated, the player gains experience which culminates in a "level-up", where the characters grow stronger and gain access to new abilities.[63] The amount of experience is shared with all party members and each character grows stronger as experience is gained.[64]

I have a Nintendo DS but I don't have that game. What do you do? Is it fun for adults? I like all kinds of games from Animal Crossings to crosswords to brain games.

See my post above for more info, but I highly recommend all games in the Kingdom Hearts series for anyone of any age who is young at heart. Honestly, Kingdom Hearts is incredible and especially so if you love Disney.

My daughter plays it. I think she just finished the game (she loved it). She comes on these boards.

yeah I just finished the game on Story Mode yesterday..my time was 33:55:59..it was so much fun and a really good story..I'd play for like 5 hours at a time because I couldn't put it down since I wanted to know what was gonna happen next
I still have to unlock King Mickey, Sora, and Dual-Wield Roxas for Mission Mode

for those who don't know..358/2 Days takes place after KH 1, before, during, and after Chain of Memories (or Re:Chain of Memories), and before KH 2

this game's story is about Roxas' 358 days in Organization XIII and his friendship with Axel and Xion, the 14th member who's introduced in this game..it also tells you more in depth what the Organziations plans are for Kingdom Hearts and what they do..and it explains what happens with Riku, after he disappears with Mickey, while he's in the darkness and why he's there

this game is really good..probably one of my favorites in the series next to KH 2
if you actually wanted to play all the games in order it was go KH 1, Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, and then KH 2

I put all the pics cuz I was kinda bored and I like doing that =P

Ok, I added it to my amazon wish list. :) Too many games to play, so litle time! I can't play the earlier ones because we don't have a playstation so hopefully I can catch on to the story.

I suggest you read up on the story or watch the cut scenes on youtube..lol..or you can download a PS2 emulator onto your computer and play them on that..lol..that's what I did with N64 games..my brother sold the system and all the games to his friend..so I play the ones I miss (zelda, yoshi's story, star fox, etc.) on my laptop xP

Good to hear the game is fun.
I haven't played yet... Can't wait to play.
Just got the new DSi. It is sooo coool.
ANyway, I will post soon on my experience.

I suggest you read up on the story or watch the cut scenes on youtube..lol..or you can download a PS2 emulator onto your computer and play them on that..lol..that's what I did with N64 games..my brother sold the system and all the games to his friend..so I play the ones I miss (zelda, yoshi's story, star fox, etc.) on my laptop xP

Watching on youtube is a good idea. I just have so many games I'm playing now. I just started several RPG and adventure games on the PC, and I love my little casual games on Big Fish. On my DS I am still in the middle of Rune Factory 2. Kingdom Hearts on DS sounds like a good Christmas present. I looked at the new DSis but don't have one. I ended up getting an itouch which I love!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter