Kite Tails is ending 9/30

My daughter and I got to see Kite Tails the day or so after it premiered at Animal Kingdom. We had no idea it even existed and knew nothing about it (I don’t think they advertised it very much) but decided to try it because we figured it couldn’t be that bad.

It was hysterically bad. It seemed like they came up with the concept that morning. Maybe it got better after the first few shows, but when we saw it, it was not great.

I still randomly think of giant Baloo being deflated in the plain site of everyone while the show was still going on and laugh.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it was not a good show. On the other hand, it was quite varied and different from all the other scripted, perfect shows at Disney. The misfortunes of Zazu are fondly remembered and still talked about in my house!

Kite Tales was my son’s absolute favorite show at WDW. He has some special needs and when he gets attached to something he is all in. The performers who come up into the audience all knew him by name and he asks to see it every single day. I haven’t told him yet because it’ll break his heart, it’s hard enough when he asks to see his “friends” and I know they aren’t there anymore. I understand why they are doing it - the writing was on the wall when they moved away from scheduled shows. I know not to get attached because things like this always come and go at WDW but he can’t really be reasoned with. I think we are going to try to make it over to AK and catch it a couple more times before it’s gone for good. I just wish there was a good copy of the audio somewhere so he could still listen to it.

I just wish there was a good copy of the audio somewhere so he could still listen to it.
Craig filmed a couple of great videos when the show first debuted almost a year ago. Maybe you could record the audio while the video plays on a different device to make it work?

It was an idea that looked good on paper. And had it been in a larger lagoon, probably could have worked well. That area was just too small for that large of kite. It wasn't a great show, but was fun to watch if you had down time. Was still much better than Rivers of Light.

It's too bad they can't seem to find something that sticks at the AK lake theater. I personally really liked ROL, and I would something along those lines again.

I went in thinking it was a joke from seeing the videos, after seeing it in person I found it to be charming. Not like it had to be watched day after day but it added some life to an other wise dead area of the park. It was fun, I was glad to have seen it.

My children were 8 and 11 when they say kite tails and thought it was horrible, a waste of their time and not “Disney quality”. In fact, we saw the full show once, which they panned, then bits and pieces for another 3-4 times not to see it but bc we happened to be by Everest.

Everytime it was on, they rolled their eyes. I told them that, perhaps, it’s made for much younger children and there’s something for everyone at Disney.

However, based on my children’s reaction to kite tails, I’m not surprised it’s closing.

When “honey I shrunk the kids” closed, my older son was so so so so upset. It was his favorite playground, over the boneyard. I think he was about 5yrs old. He kept talking about wishing it hasn’t closed. So I get it for those who loved kite tails, and perhaps it was tailored for a younger crowd than my then 8 and 11yr old.

Last edited:
That's funny, my daughter (11) loved it and my son (10) had an ulterior motive - he just wanted to see the kites crash, but it still entertained him. Clearly the reception was mixed.

While never a great show, we always enjoyed watching it. Almost loved the pre-show as much. They were so much fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter