Knowing When to Quit the CP

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
I had the misfortune in 2013 to have to leave my college program early due to a decline in my health, and I was supposed to participate in the program this fall. My check in date was scheduled for today actually, but since December of last year my health has been in a rapid decline. I spent several weeks throughout this year in the hospital trying to get it straightened out, but I just haven't had any luck.

I think it's important for young adults to know at what point they need to stop and evaluate their choices and be comfortable enough with themselves to decide they're making the wrong decisions. Participating in the 2015 Fall college program would have been one of those wrong decision for me. In June my doctors gave me 1 year before I would need a lung transplant and about 2 years left to live without one. I am a pretty honest person so I have always known and accepted that my life could/would come to this point.
I plan to use whatever time I have left to pursue my love of Disney while of course doing what I can to improve my health.

I made a video about quitting the college program here:

I think you made the right choice. I wish you all the best. Not to be too nosy, but if you have CF then you might check about Vertex pharmaceuticals new drugs. Some of our patients have just gotten on the meds this week. Nevertheless, I hope you are feeling better and can find enjoyment in every day. God bless you.

I think you made the right choice. I wish you all the best. Not to be too nosy, but if you have CF then you might check about Vertex pharmaceuticals new drugs. Some of our patients have just gotten on the meds this week. Nevertheless, I hope you are feeling better and can find enjoyment in every day. God bless you.
I am actually on the med. I am lucky enough that is designed for the strain of CF I have, i made a video about starting it here:

It will hopefully be a good med, but they don't know a lot about it yet.

I'm glad you're on it. I hope it's good med too! As far as CP, my son is there now working 6 days a week for 50-60 hours a week. That with the heat has made him exhausted. I can't imagine the toll it would have on you. Enjoy your upcoming trips at Disney knowing your doing the right thing. Hope you're doing well.

I'm glad you're on it. I hope it's good med too! As far as CP, my son is there now working 6 days a week for 50-60 hours a week. That with the heat has made him exhausted. I can't imagine the toll it would have on you. Enjoy your upcoming trips at Disney knowing your doing the right thing. Hope you're doing well.
Thank you :) so far the side effects i've had from the medication are manageable so I am in the lucky few who are able to keep taking it. I did a program previously and I am a complete workaholic I was trained in 3 different roles so I would work 7 days week. 64 hours was my longest work week, but I loved it! The two roles I worked consistently were really easy and fun :D I hope he enjoy his time and is able to make his role fun!

Wishing you all the best! I'm impressed with your thoughtful and responsible decision-making. I hope this new drug make a big difference for you!

I am well versed in the lame disability that pulls you out of your career. Damn it! However, if I can say so without minimizing the effect your CF has had on your life, you look like you stole ALL the good cupcakes, sister. Looking GOOD! I can make this erudite judgement because I am a nurse.

DisneyDoll, I'm sorry that health issues made it impossible for you to continue on the CP. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and obviously made the right decision about continuing in the CP. I know it's a hard decision. My DD was accepted twice to the DCP, both times to attractions. The first time, she had to withdraw because her school decided to offer some of her required classes on an alternate-year schedule; if she'd done the DCP she'd have had to add at least one year to her college career. The second time she chose to not attend the DCP was just this week. She graduated from college last May and although she's been working full time in a good position, she was hoping to find something in her field. She realized that Spring 2016 would be her last shot at the DCP, and as her current job ends at Christmas, she decided to apply. She was accepted and was all set to make her downpayment, when she got a call from a job she'd applied for last spring. This is a great job, in her field, doing one of 3 job choices she'd set for herself. It's not easy to find jobs with limited professional experience, so although it means giving up on the "Disney Dream," DD resigned from the DCP. Although her options weren't critical, as yours are, it still took a little soul-searching to come to a decision that she regrets having to make. However, she knows that this is the right decision for her- she starts her new job as soon as we come home from next week's Disney vacation!

OP, I wish you continued good health!!

Last edited:
DisneyDoll, I'm sorry that health issues made it impossible for you to continue on the CP. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and obviously made the right decision about continuing in the CP. I know it's a hard decision. My DD was accepted twice to the DCP, both times to attractions. The first time, she had to withdraw because her school decided to offer some of her requited classes on an alternate-year schedule; if she'd done the DCP she'd have had to add at least one year to her college career. The second time she chose to not attend the DCP was just this week. She graduated from college last May and although she's been working full time in a good position, she was hoping to find something in her field. She realized that Spring 2016 would be her last shot at the DCP, and as her current job ends at Christmas, she decided to apply. She was accepted and was all set to make her downpayment, when she got a call from a job she'd applied for last spring. This is a great job, in her field, doing one of 3 job choices she'd set for herself. It's not easy to find jobs with limited professional experience, so although it means giving up on the "Disney Dream," DD resigned from the DCP. Although her options weren't critical, as yours are, it still took a little soul-searching to come to a decision that she regrets having to make. However, she knows that this is the right decision for her- she starts her new job as soon as we come home from next week's Disney vacation!

OP, I wish you continued good health!!

Leebee, I made a very similar decision to your daughter. I actually did 3.5 months of the DCP and it was really a dream, but I was accepted last-minute to a graduate program in my field and had to leave at the end of the summer. I felt sad about it and cried a lot about the decision, but ultimately I know leaving was the right choice.

My D has JRA and the DCP found every reason not to grant her health accommodations. She left.
She found a job near home but learned to trust her judgement. Part of growing up

I have such respect for you: you are mature and courageous. You are in my prayers.

You have had to make very tough decisions.

My prayers are with you.

DisneyDoll, just prayed for you. I know God has a plan, and I wish you all the best!
Romans 8:28

I should post an update here.

Unfortunately the new medication didn't work out for me, and I went into full lung failure in August.
I did however receive a miracle! I received a double lung transplant on September 2-3rd and I've never been healthier!
A CP is still out for me at the moment, I ended up finding a job that I think will place me better of I life, but I am planning my first Disney trip since my surgery and of course it's to Disney World. I am a little nervous but so ready to make the trip back home, it's been over a year now since I've been back.
It was hard to be away knowing that it was my health stopping me, I wasn't able to travel pretty much anywhere so I was getting stir crazy.

Glad to hear you are doing well!! Hope your trip is fun! When were you planning on going?
Are you part of the DCP Alumni Association? The next reunion/homecoming if for January 2018...

ETA-my daughter is going to start her 1st program this fall! So excited for her as she is 2nd generation (both DH and I did the program)

I should post an update here.

Unfortunately the new medication didn't work out for me, and I went into full lung failure in August.
I did however receive a miracle! I received a double lung transplant on September 2-3rd and I've never been healthier!
A CP is still out for me at the moment, I ended up finding a job that I think will place me better of I life, but I am planning my first Disney trip since my surgery and of course it's to Disney World. I am a little nervous but so ready to make the trip back home, it's been over a year now since I've been back.
It was hard to be away knowing that it was my health stopping me, I wasn't able to travel pretty much anywhere so I was getting stir crazy.

Thank you for your update. I have wondered about how you were doing and am so happy to see that you got your transplant! I hope your Disney travel dream comes true, and you have a long and healthy life!!

I've kind of been updating this throughout the years so I thought i'd keep it up.
September 2nd of 2016 I received a double lung transplant, it was a real miracle, now I am heading back to college with the intent to further my education so I can hopefully make it back to Disney in the future!
Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!