Kodak C340

Alexsma

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have this camera? If so what do you think about it. I am looking to replace an older Toshiba, which I was never very happy with. I looked at this one, it's 5mp and resonably priced and small enough for a small purse to fit into while at the parks.

Any input would be appricated, thanks in advance.

Alexsma said:
Does anyone have this camera? If so what do you think about it. I am looking to replace an older Toshiba, which I was never very happy with. I looked at this one, it's 5mp and resonably priced and small enough for a small purse to fit into while at the parks.

Any input would be appricated, thanks in advance.

Megapixel doesn't mean much. If you're going to print up to 8x10, even 4 MP is more than enough. Having said that, I strongly recommend you look at other Canon models at the same price range. You'll be surpised how much better the picture will look like.

I just got this camera for my birthday this morning! Haven't used it yet, but will post to you once I do.....

talk to you soon!
jen

My mom has it. I've been happy with her pictures. If you are just looking to take some snapshots and want an easy to use camera with few bells and whistles I think you'll be ok.

I know for my mom she wanted to make the jump to digital but needed something super easy as she is completely technologically challenged. She also wanted to easily make prints so the Kodak dock was an easy choice for her. There is no way she could burn images to a CD to print at a lab or upload them to a printing site. USB cables, AC adapters and firewire cables are all foreign to her too.

It was easy, low cost and fit her needs well.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks, I think I will stick with it. I like something that is easy to use takes nice pics, and has a fast shutter time. And above all is reasonably priced with saving up for this trip right now.

A warning about the docking station on Kodak Cameras.....
You should never, ever put your camera in the dock UNLESS the battery is also in need of a charge.Why? Because every time you put it in the dock, it will automatically "top off" the charge on the battery.This seems like a good thing, but as will all rechargable batteries, if you routinely charge the battery before it is low, it will create a memory cell.This means that from that point on, every time your battery reaches that point, it will assume that your battery is dead and will cut out on you.This could be very aggravating, not to mention costly to replace the battery.

I really dont like Kodak, not in their cameras, nor their film.They were once a good company that dropped their standards to improve profits.But Kodak is not the only company with Docking stations and the same is true for all of them.

I know i am relatively new to this board, but i have been in the buisness for a long time, and returning to the DIS after a long hiatus. These are just my opinions and you are entitiled to take them or leave them at your will.
Sherrie

I really dont like Kodak, not in their cameras, nor their film.They were once a good company that dropped their standards to improve profits.

Finally, someone who really knows what Kodak is really about.

rhiannonwales said:
but as will all rechargable batteries, if you routinely charge the battery before it is low, it will create a memory cell.This means that from that point on, every time your battery reaches that point, it will assume that your battery is dead and will cut out on you.This could be very aggravating, not to mention costly to replace the battery.
Sherrie

This may be true of the Kodak rechargable batteries, but not all rechargeable batteries. There are rechargeable batteries that do not have the memory issues. The battery for my hand held computer at work is one. Granted these type of batteries are probably more expensive, but they do exist. I've also come across a few others for various electronic devises that I've owned, but can't recall which ones right now.

I have the camera and the docking station and I absolutely love it!
it takes great pictures! and is definately easy to use, the software is great that come with it.
I give this camera, from 1-10,,,,definately a 9!!

"Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonwales
but as will all rechargable batteries, if you routinely charge the battery before it is low, it will create a memory cell.This means that from that point on, every time your battery reaches that point, it will assume that your battery is dead and will cut out on you.This could be very aggravating, not to mention costly to replace the battery.
Sherrie

This may be true of the Kodak rechargable batteries, but not all rechargeable batteries. There are rechargeable batteries that do not have the memory issues. The battery for my hand held computer at work is one. Granted these type of batteries are probably more expensive, but they do exist. I've also come across a few others for various electronic devises that I've owned, but can't recall which ones right now."

Well, I don't know what kind of rechargable battery yoru handeld computer takes but ALL Nickle Metal Hydride and Lithiom Ion rechargable battery's will generate a memory. Yes I know they "claim" that they won't but they will. Every digitol camera and camcorder I have ever seen takes either a NMH or a LI battery so in the case of camera's it is VERY wise to not charge them if they don't need to be charged.

As for the Kodak camera in question. I am not familiar with that paticular model number, but considering digitol camera's have the shelf life of milk that isn't saying much. Kodak camera's as a whole take very poor quality pictures. They have serious issues with bad white balance, they break insainly easily, and koday generally does not like to repare them at all. I have had coustomers (yes I work in a camera store) who have had kodak digitol cameras that were 2 years old that have broken and kodak told them it was to old for them to work on. I have also seen them send the entire back half of another digitol camera and told them to fix it themselves. As a general rule of thumb, if your kodak digitol breaks then throw it in the garbage cause thats all its worth. But thats not just kodak either as you will be hard pressed to find any compony repair a digitol camera for less then $125. Kodak camera's are not worth the money they ask for them, bottom line. Kodak was once a very proud company with top of the line products, but ever sence they lost the law suit to Polaroid they have been in serious trouble while pumping out inferior quality product. Its a very sad thing to see.

fiffy said:
Kodak camera's as a whole take very poor quality pictures.

They have serious issues with bad white balance,

(T)hey break insainly easily

Kodak generally does not like to repair them at all.

Its a very sad thing to see.

Fiffy, welcome to the club. :Pinkbounc

I just bought this camera and so far like it very much. I use rechargeable batteries in it and have had no problem with battery life. I have to admit that I am somewhat techinically challenged and this camera is easy to use. THe software was super easy to load on the computer. I would definitely recommend it. :sunny:

morrismhs said:
I just bought this camera and so far like it very much. I use rechargeable batteries in it and have had no problem with battery life.

Well, if you just bought it you shouldn't have any problems with the battery life yet. They take time for the memory to build up. But there is a simple method of avoiding it. If the batteries aren't dead then take them out before you put it on the dock. If they are close to being dead then run them out before putting it on the dock. The more depleted they are when you charge them the better. Kodak cameras are easy to use, but so are many other digitol cameras on the market. Most of the software the cameras come with are pretty simple to load. However, for the least 2 years when people come into my store needing a digitol camera to be fixed 75% of the time its a kodak. They really should rename the line to EasyBreak, not EasyShare. They break VERY easy, and not just the outside parts of it but the internal electronics of it as well. And kodak is the worst company when it comes to getting your camea repaired as they tend to just give the parts to the coustomer and expect them to repair it themselves.

DH gave me the C340 for Christmas along with a 512mb memory card. We've been pleased with it so far, mostly taking pics at the holidays and of the dogs. I will be playing with it a lot in the next few months so I'm comfortable with it when we get to Disney in June.

We have not made any prints from the pictures we've taken, but the images we've saved have been remarkable. If you'd like to see some, let me know. I haven't altered any of them for online viewing and the images are still in their largest format.

DH wants to get the docking station, but I prefer to get a rapid charger and rechargable batteries. I've looked at staples.com, bestbuy.com and Ritz Camera and Walmart but haven't decide which outfit I want. I will probably spend about $40 the charger and 4 batteries.

We also plan to get another memory card, maybe only a 256mb, before we go on vacation, just in case we need more space (like 300+ available pics won't be enough :rolleyes: ) or something should happen with the current one.

Although it's none of my business, may I suggest eBay? There are so many great deals there on batteries. For that same amount of dollars (including shipping) you'll get at least 8 batteries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter