Koodo Cell Question

Rinstah

Mouseketeer
I have a Koodo cellphone. I’m wondering what my best bet is? From what I’ve read its $8 a day to use in the US. We are going for 7 days so that’s a bit high. Is it possible to remove my SIM card and just use wifi? Will the wifi be good enough? I want to make sure I can use the Disney App.

I have a Koodo cellphone. I’m wondering what my best bet is? From what I’ve read its $8 a day to use in the US. We are going for 7 days so that’s a bit high. Is it possible to remove my SIM card and just use wifi? Will the wifi be good enough? I want to make sure I can use the Disney App.
You can probably just put it on airplane mode and enable wifi without removing the SIM card - airplane mode ensures you aren't using any cellular service at all. You could also call them and see what other plans they have.

We have Koodo as well. First time we just left in airplane mode, no issues. But now we have bought Roam mobility. You get a sim card, and can choose talk and text or add data as well. You do get a US number but calling to Canada is included. I just tell my family the number and to text me and I will call them. Works well for us.

The wifi around the parks is okay. There are dead spots and you will be frustrated sometimes if trying to use MDE app strictly on Disney wifi. That $8/day will pay for itself when you are trying to check things out on the app while taking the bus, skyliner or monorail. You will find you will want to text to stay in touch with your travel party when your in line for food and they find a table or if you lose your group for whatever reason.
The little things can lead to missing that extra Fast pass or whatever.

For us, paying extra for data in the USA is just built into the cost of the trip and at Disney time is money.

I would recommend @mort1331 suggestion above. ROAM is $4.95 per day (talk, text and data). Koodo prepaid has the option of purchasing packets of US calling, texting and data if you are Koodo prepaid otherwise yes it's the more expensive $8/day option. Koodo uses both T-mobile and AT&T so you can find a good signal almost everywhere.

I'm generally technically challenged and have had no issues switching out the SIM card and getting it up and running.

I won’t need to text while I’m there. My husband doesn’t own a cell phone so it won’t be necessary. Although we have an extra phone so it might be a good idea if we both get roam and can stay in contact. I’m guessing Roam is in USD?

Last edited:
I won’t need to text while I’m there. My husband doesn’t own a cell phone so it won’t be necessary. Although we have an extra phone so it might be a good idea if we both get roam and can stay in contact. I’m guessing Roam is in USD?
Nope its Canadian

Roam is fine, I used it a few years back but I disliked the hassle of getting a US number and swapping sims. You can choose to not use your phone for a few days and then you wont be charged for those days. IMO, for the $20 or less difference just use the $8/day.

The switching numbers doesn't really bother me too much. The only people phoning us will probably be our parents if there is an emergency.

I'm reading conflicting reviews on Roam. Some people love it, others hate it. I did notice the SIM cards are only $4.99 on Amazon vs $9.99 at Staples.

We are toying with getting two cards (one for our current phone, one for our older phone) so DH can call me if we decide to split up. It works out about $20 more then going with Koodo. but then DH will have a phone to contact me.

I use roam mobility and it is great. However, wi-fi at WDW is pretty decent everywhere (unlike at DLR) and if you are in a dead spot, just walk a bit and you'll be fine again. There is now wi-fi on the bus as well. If you need to stay in touch with family members (at home or those traveling with you), use Whatsapp over wi-fi.

The switching numbers doesn't really bother me too much. The only people phoning us will probably be our parents if there is an emergency.

I'm reading conflicting reviews on Roam. Some people love it, others hate it. I did notice the SIM cards are only $4.99 on Amazon vs $9.99 at Staples.

We are toying with getting two cards (one for our current phone, one for our older phone) so DH can call me if we decide to split up. It works out about $20 more then going with Koodo. but then DH will have a phone to contact me.
I have only bought the sims direct from Roam. They mail them out. They had a sale on for 2 for 1 when we bought.

Would like some recent confirmation or feedback since we haven’t been to WDW since 2017. Is Roam Mobility reception steady and reliable at the parks, especially DHS? I am not sure if this boarding group queue for ROTR is going to continue and would like to make sure we have data/wifi to get on a boarding group in December. We will have an iPhone 7 with the SIM card that tethers data over to two iPhone 8s. TIA!

Would like some recent confirmation or feedback since we haven’t been to WDW since 2017. Is Roam Mobility reception steady and reliable at the parks, especially DHS? I am not sure if this boarding group queue for ROTR is going to continue and would like to make sure we have data/wifi to get on a boarding group in December. We will have an iPhone 7 with the SIM card that tethers data over to two iPhone 8s. TIA!

I can't confirm how well roam mobility works at WDW, but it was great at DLR as well as my recent trip to Florida (did not go to Disney).

On our recent Xmas/NYE WDW trip, I relied solely on wi-fi to get ROTR and was able to get boarding pass group 22 the first day, and group 12 the second day. Once you arrive in the park, find an area with a strong wi-fi signal, and do not move from that area until you get your boarding group. This may affect your ability to rope drop a certain ride, but our sole intent was to get onto ROTR.

I can't confirm how well roam mobility works at WDW, but it was great at DLR as well as my recent trip to Florida (did not go to Disney).

On our recent Xmas/NYE WDW trip, I relied solely on wi-fi to get ROTR and was able to get boarding pass group 22 the first day, and group 12 the second day. Once you arrive in the park, find an area with a strong wi-fi signal, and do not move from that area until you get your boarding group. This may affect your ability to rope drop a certain ride, but our sole intent was to get onto ROTR.
Thanks for the tip! Which area(s) would it be? We have planned to rope drop DHS for 3 days, so we don’t mind not being able to rope drop a tier 1 ride. We will try to get FP for those rides. ROTR is our first priority.

Thanks for the tip! Which area(s) would it be? We have planned to rope drop DHS for 3 days, so we don’t mind not being able to rope drop a tier 1 ride. We will try to get FP for those rides. ROTR is our first priority.

The first day we went as far up Sunset Blvd as they would allow us, as we rode Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at rope drop (after getting our boarding group). The second day, we stayed right inside the entrance. Once we found a strong wi-fi signal, we stayed put. We were lucky enough to get group 12 that day, because once we got our group and walked to Slinky Dog, I think the wait was already around 120 mins. Since we were group 12, we didn't have to wait long for ROTR, then we left the park. The problem with rope dropping DHS now is that with ROTR, the massive crowds make it impossible to get in more than one popular in the morning (if you are able to even do that). Forget rides like Slinky Dog as the line is probably the longest now at rope drop, unless you happen to be at the very front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter