L.A. for a day

Grendel

Where ever you go, there you are.
ok my DW doesnt want to do one of the long tours...she prefers doing our own thing. I of course am worried about traffic, getting around, and safety.
So whats the best way to be a tourist and hit some of the highlights....to feel like we've seen hollywood etc.

would it make a difference if we did this on a sunday?? less traffic less crowded etc.?

Traffic on Sunday should be much lighter than weekdays. Not really sure what you are interested in, but I'll give you a driving tour that includes places you ,may or may not want to follow.

Since you mentioned Hollywood, I'll start with Hollywood & Highland. It's a mixed use complex with shops/restaurants/hotel and a movie theatre. Across the street sits the Disney owned El Capitan movie theatre and the Disney Soda fountain. Many people are disappointed with Hollywood Blvd since it's far from glamorous. However, it is very safe and if you go know what to expect, you will have a nice time. The neighbor is currently changing and is in much better shape and a decade ago.

From there you can drive west on Hollywood Blvd to Fairfax Ave where you will turn left. Then you will make a right turn on Sunset Blvd. From here, you can take Sunset all the way to the beach.

During your drive on Sunset, you will pass the Sunset Strip where all the famous clubs are (The Roxy, Viper Room, etc). There also a section called Sunset Plaza that has a european feel to it with designer boutiques and outdoor cafes. Once you past Doheny, you are now in Beverly Hills.

This is the residential area of Sunset Blvd filled with mansions, one bigger than the other. It's also here that you will find the famous Beverly Hills Hotel. As you driver further west, the street get windier, so be careful. After Beverly Hills, you will pass the community of Bel Aire and also the UCLA campus to the south.

Once you cross the 405 Fwy, you are in Brentwood. Looming high above the 405 is the Getty Center. After Brentwood is Pacific Palisade, home to Steven Spielberg and others. The Sunset dead ends on PCH.

If you turn right on PCH, you will be traveling north to Malibu. Not much to do there (IMO), except for the Getty Villa and a few nice restaurants.

If you turn left, you will be heading south to Santa Monica. Santa Monica is famous for its pier and the huge number of homeless people. But don't worry, they are not really aggressive and usually leave you along. The main shopping area is about 3 blocks from the beach called Third Street Promenade. The street is closed off to traffic and is filled with shop/cafes/street performers.

Santa Monica also runs a shuttle service called "the Tide". For only 25 cent, it will take you to the Venice Board Walk, Main Street (another shopping/dining area, but more of a local flavor), and back.

From Santa Monica, you can take Santa Monica Blvd and go east. Once you past the 405 fwy, you will be entering Century City. This used to be the 20th Century Fox back lot. Now, it's filled with office building, hotels, condos, and an outdoor mall.

At the intersection of Wilshire & Santa Monica sits the Beverly Hilton, home to the Golden Globe awards. If you continue east on Santa Monica, you will enter boys town, which is a gay area of LA.

If you turn right on Wilshire, you will be in the main shopping area of Beverly Hills. The famous rodeo drive will be on your left.

Heading east on Wilshire, you will come to Fairfax Avenue again.

If you chose to continue on Wilshire, you will pass Museum Row (consisting of LACMA, Peterson Automotive Museum, A+D, to name a few), Koreatown, McAuthur Park, and the street ends in downtown LA which has a few interesting places of its own (Olvera Street, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Disney Concert Hall).

You can also turn left on Fairfax, this will take you to the old Jewish area of LA. Here, you will find kosher delis, ect. Also you will also find the famous LA Farmers Market & the Grove (an outdoor mall that remains me a bit of Main St USA).

Heading further north on Fairfax you will come to Melrose. Make a right and you are in the funky shopping district (Vintage shops). If you turn left, it shops are more high end (Marc Jacob, Oscar De La Renta).

If you take Fairfax all the way, it will dead end on Hollywood Blvd. Make a rigt turn and you will be heading back to where you started at Hollywood & Highland.

Wow, great info :)

I'm not the OP but I wanted to know the same thing, so thanks!

I'd heard of the Hollywood and Highland complex - I assume it's all open on a Sunday? Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive there from Anaheim, please?

...but where will they eat?

I you start out in Hollywood early and are looking for a great breakfast, consider the Griddle (http://www.thegriddlecafe.com/menu.htm) which is on Sunset near Fairfax. On a weekend day, expect to wait if you don't arrive before 10am. There's even free parking behind the Rite Aid!

If you eat at the Griddle, you probably won't be hungry all day-- I'm no expert on Santa Monica dining, but I understand the Border Grill (http://www.bordergrill.com/), Violet (http://www.violetrestaurant.com/shell_content.html), and Father's Office (http://www.fathersoffice.com/html/fathersOffice.html) are great places to eat down in that area, although all would involve a fair investment of time. I also think that the last Sunday of each month Ma'kai (http://www.makailounge.com/) has a Luau Sunday afternoon into evening.

But you might be better off waiting until you're back in Hollywood or Beverly Hills to eat--here's a list of some classics: http://www.la.com/foodanddining/5848221.html

If you wind up back at Hollywood Blvd with some daylight to burn, you might consider driving up into the Hollywood Hills for a fabulous view of Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley. Instead of turning right off of Fairfax when you get to Hollywood Blvd, turn left, then go a few blocks and turn right on Laurel Canyon Blvd. Take this road to the top of the hill and turn right at the light onto Mullholland Drive. There will be turnouts on the left side of this road if you'd like to stop and peer down in to the SF Valley and on the right there will be a turnout to look down into Hollywood (you also get a great view at the Hollywood sign from here). Take this road until it t-intersects and turn right onto Cahuenga. You will pass the Hollywood Bowl (which you can't see from the road). Veer right onto Highland and travel a few blocks more and you will be back to Hollywood Blvd.

LA is a great place to visit-- hope you have fun!

Heathpack

I just realized I never thanked you all for your info!!!!

great advice..
im mapping everything down...

ok..heres a question...if we go on a thursday...how should we get around..
im told you still need a car to go from spot to spot..
but will we hit traffic on non highway roads???

i saw that 4-7 is not a good time to be commuting..becasue of the traffic..
if were in Hollywood or the area..maybe santa monica...should we plan to be on foot during that time frame???

thanks again for your much needed advice!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter