Lack of crowds and Disney's response

I am curious if Disney is able/have altered things on a short notice to adjust for the crowds. Or is the thought that this will last until all the APs are open and all the people waiting for the other ride to open planned their trips. I planned my solo trip very last minute with the assumption it would be insane, but going solo I wasn't too worried about it. But I wont lie, to have a calm park would feel like winning the lottery. I did just reserve a dessert party for WOC which seemed crazy I got one being that is only a month away and it was down for so long. Maybe its a good sign.

Being that my trip is only 4 weeks away could they make changes that quick that might affect my chances?
I mean, the parks are busier than they were a few weeks ago, and they’re cutting staffing quite a bit, so I don’t think you’re going to have empty parks and walk-on rides, but I don’t think it’s going to be insane in four weeks.

Is it at all possible that the drop in park attendance isn't that significant, but that SW:GE sucks in a lot of people, making the rest of the park less crowded?

Is it at all possible that the drop in park attendance isn't that significant, but that SW:GE sucks in a lot of people, making the rest of the park less crowded?

That could be possible, but we’ve traveled for the last four summers to Disneyland and I have never seen the morning hour ride times that are currently available. When Peter Pan is 20-25 minutes and everything else in FL & TL is 5 minutes? Four times in a row standby for Hyperspace? Not to mention DCA. Three times RS standby, then four times standby on Incredicoaster...plus, plus, plus...

We did the parks in HALF a day, granted we had EMH and of course not including the one ride in SWGE! But we’ve had EMH all other summers and never been able to get so much done in such little time. In fact...we started using the term “rided out”😱 :rotfl2:

That said, we are returning in 20 days cause we will probably never see low crowds like this again!! So I will update if there’s a significant change in what I’ve described above.

I mean, the parks are busier than they were a few weeks ago, and they’re cutting staffing quite a bit, so I don’t think you’re going to have empty parks and walk-on rides, but I don’t think it’s going to be insane in four weeks.

This. Which is why I advocate for EMH, MM or RD! The mornings still look great according to the App times! With walk on’s if you have a plan and move with a purpose. But the park does pick up as more people enter through the day! No snoozing, unfortunately!😆

This. Which is why I advocate for EMH, MM or RD! The mornings still look great according to the App times! With walk on’s if you have a plan and move with a purpose. But the park does pick up as more people enter through the day! No snoozing, unfortunately!😆

Last Thursday, to prove your point, we arrived in Fantasyland around 7:40am during a magic morning. By 11:30am we had literally done every single attraction in Fantasyland AND stopped for breakfast at Red Rose Tavern. The crowds started to noticeably increase around 10:30am.

Last Thursday, to prove your point, we arrived in Fantasyland around 7:40am during a magic morning. By 11:30am we had literally done every single attraction in Fantasyland AND stopped for breakfast at Red Rose Tavern. The crowds started to noticeably increase around 10:30am.

We were there last Saturday doing the same thing. Arrived at MMH at 7:40am, hit PP, Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Teacups, Matterhorn, Space Mountain (FP), Star Tours (FP), and IASW all by 10:30am. Ate at Red Rose Tavern, and the crowds really hit. (We saw full lines at ticket booths on our way in, AP's getting the $99 deal I am sure.) We then went over to DCA. Crowds were there then too, but still able to score good FP times with Max Pass.

It was surreal -- we went on Snow White, Toad, Pinocchio and IASW with no one in line! We had a boat to ourselves on IASW with empty boats in front and in back of us. It was so bizarre.

I just came across an article on yahoo finance titled, "Theme Parks are having a Challenging Summer." The article mentions the slow crowds at Disney, but apparently Universal and Seaworld are seeing their share of emptiness, too

I know we're biased here on disboards because most of us do repeat trips yearly or more frequently or are APs, even. It's expensive to go to the best theme parks and I don't mean this in a bad way, but a lot of people get caught up in fads for a while (repeat theme park visiting), then they want to vacation other places because they've been there and done that. I personally love Walt Disney and Disneyland, so it's less of an "oh yay fun" experience for me and more of a pilgrimage when I go, as silly as that sounds.

This is the first one I’ve seen direct from Disney that says “come now, the crowds are low!” Maybe I’ve missed them though.
I saw that same one you posted the week of June 24th. They also keep filming little videos with people talking about low crowds; I saw them filming some (that same week) and kept lurking around to try to get picked and become Internet-famous. Alas, no luck.

I don't think Star Wars has the same clout it did before this new wave of movies came out. They haven't been good and the box office numbers are trending down. With the Cantina and lightsaber shop so small and only 1 ride, I can see why people don't want to spend the high prices to see Galaxy's Edge.

I guess what I'm saying is, it'd be a heck of a lot to price me out, but that threshold is much lower for a lot of people and I get that.
There were plenty of posts here and there on the internets about people not renewing. Possibly they could be waiting until SWGE is complete.. or even Marvel Land.
I will say I was there on Monday and it did not feel empty. There were lots of people, just not congested. I'm also seeing youtube after youtube video of how Disneyland is a ghost town now. I'm sure they just want the hits/revenue, but this is getting ridiculous.

No. If it wasn’t significant Disney wouldn’t be cutting cast member hours left and right and telling all departments to immediately cut costs. They done goofed.

No. If it wasn’t significant Disney wouldn’t be cutting cast member hours left and right and telling all departments to immediately cut costs. They done goofed.
Could confirm talking with monorail CM that starting Sunday, July 21st the monorail hours will be reduced. They’ll stop running from 11 am - 6 pm. They’ll have to work split shifts. The “official” story will be it’ll too hot during late summer to run the monorail during those hours. Isn’t this a typical retail operations reaction? When sales are slow or down the solution is to cut back operating cost and staffing. The workers always bear the brunt of bad management decisions but doesn’t get a share when things are great, while management gets percentage increases or more shares of stock. Still think it’s an over reaction. Wouldn’t be surprise to hear on this board that they should reduce the crowd and the park is too jam packed because everyone thinks the crowds are low. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter