Ladies - Disney Day Bag

TinkSassy

DIS Veteran
I have used the same day bag for years and it gave up on my last trip. It was a small kid size backpack with 2 water bottle holders. Liked the bottle space, that it was light weight and padded straps, and a couple pockets to keep things organized.

Have any suggestions for a replacement?

I have a Bagallini crossbody backpack similar to this one (but I bought it before a 2004 trip lol) that works out well - lots of pockets, not overly large, and easy water bottle access.

I don’t sell Thirty-One bags, but I *buy* a lot of them (lol) and I use a few of their bags for day bags in the parks. The Explorista Crossbody is discontinued but you might be able to find it on Amazon or eBay. It’s wonderful as an “under the seat in front of you” bag and can easily carry a day’s worth of things, including a light sweater for after fireworks.

The Slingback Crossbody is another favorite. You can easily slide it across you to access stuff that’s in the zippered pockets without having to take it off. It’s definitely smaller than the Explorista, but that’s not a terrible thing since it limits what you can carry - and how heavy it gets. Definitely can’t fit a light sweater in it, though.

On Princess Half Marathon weekends, I always find myself using the simple drawstring backpack they give you after the Half. The ones Thirty-one sells - their Cinch Sac - are huge and have a separate zippered pocket if you want to keep smaller things separated. Definitely the simplest of bags, but you can personalize them. I have a purple one with a crown icon and “Best Day Ever!” Embroidered on it. I tend to like the two strap backpack setup vs a crossbody since the crossbody can be a little difficult to manage with, um, an ample endowment.

Another favorite of mine through the years is a nylon crossbody bag from Overland that has an organizing panel in the front, a large zippered compartment, a slide pocket, and two side pockets for water bottles. I can’t find it online anymore, but the setup is similar to this one at REI but that one is missing the two side water bottle pockets.

Not sure if any of that was helpful lol! But that’s what has worked for me through the years. :)

I generally don't take food or drink, so other than my camera bag, I'll just be wearing a sparkle skirt. It has two large pockets on the legs and a giant zipper pouch pocket at the waist. They are awesome for amusement parks. I wear them mostly for running. Www.sparkleskirts.com

I have gone through different bags over the years. When I have pockets (such as when I'm wearing jeans) I have no problem with a packable backpack. However, when I was running around in athletic pants with no pockets I found myself not liking how I was unable to see/feel my cell phone. So I bought a Le Sportsac cross body in a Bambi pattern that holds everything and isn't particularly heavy.

I will probably be bringing both for my next two trips as the backpack is pretty small when it's all folded up.

For the record what I bring into the parks: sunglasses, sunscreen, an umbrella, a water bottle (750ml), battery back up & phone cord, and small wallet for my ID, AP ticket, and a CC), a pair of bluetooth earbuds, and a book. I might wear a light jacket in the morning, but that gets tossed in the bag as soon as the sun makes its presence felt.

Thanks Figmented - our lists are pretty similar. I do the poncho instead of the umbrella because I'm dangerous with it in a crowd and I don't bring buds or a book (unless I'm traveling solo and then I might bring the buds - Kindle app on phone will suffice for a book for show waits). So I don't need much space - I don't do the pockets because I loose stuff that way all the time so I want it zippered in.

Checking out the Le Sportsac now thanks! The sparkleshirt may work for my sister - I'm pooh sized myself so skirts are a no go for me.

Thanks Figmented - our lists are pretty similar. I do the poncho instead of the umbrella because I'm dangerous with it in a crowd and I don't bring buds or a book (unless I'm traveling solo and then I might bring the buds - Kindle app on phone will suffice for a book for show waits). So I don't need much space - I don't do the pockets because I loose stuff that way all the time so I want it zippered in.

Checking out the Le Sportsac now thanks! The sparkleshirt may work for my sister - I'm pooh sized myself so skirts are a no go for me.

For the record, I got the 'Deluxe Everyday Bag' which is extendable, which means more room for the jacket/small souvenirs. My mom got the 'Everyday bag' which is slightly smaller, but would hold everything except the jacket. I personally do the umbrella because I'm pale and sometimes I need shade + sunscreen and I am never able to fold ponchos back up correctly. But if it works for you, great!

I know I wanted a Disney themed bag and didn't particularly care for the Vera Bradley ones nor the Douneys & Bourkes. Plus, if the LeSportsac gets wet, it won't ruin it.

I pack a small-medium sized "daypack" with a water reservoir. The water bladder holds 70oz, so I don't need to carry any extra bottles. In addition to the water I pack a few snacks, sunglasses, sunscreen, poncho(s), cool towels, a mini first aid kit (kids go through bandaids like water), wallet, and phone. I used to use a cross body backpack or a small cross body purse, but I found the purse was too small and the cross body back pack was less comfortable for all day use. I much prefer the two shoulder day pack.

@aliwolly -

Are they washable? Waterproof? How far does the strap extend?

@adelaster most thirty-one bags are made of a wipeable vinyl coated fabric. They're not waterproof in that water will eventually seep through them, but they don't get ruined by water. And I've thrown mine right in the washing machine and they've turned out fine!

I like the small back pack by Vera Bradley. The size is child size but perfect for what you need. I like using the VB Franny crossbody bag for daily use in the parks. It is the perfect size, comfortable on my shoulder, etc. it has a small skinny strap but it doesn't bother me. What about trying it this year without a bag and getting a locker instead?

I go bagless, I tend to wear sundresses in the summer so I just buy ones that have pockets. My cell phone has a little slim wallet attached to the back that holds my ID, CC, AP, Room key if at Swan/Dolphin and some cash. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDFK6HG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Disposable poncho in other pocket if it's just going to be quick showers, carry an umbrella with a wrist strap if it looks like it might rain all day. I got two skorts similar to sparkle skirts for my last trip, they were only around $20 each on Amazon and worked great except for you could really see the ponchos in the pockets, made my hips look way big. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073P1N3V5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NMG1B3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 On one day when it was supposed to rain bad, I took a Disney poncho and used a runner's belt just for that which looks like a kind of mini fanny pack. Those days I was going to Epcot through IG and you have to go through bag check there even if you don't have bags so it was no big deal. I got it at Walmart. I wear my reading glasses on a necklace and my sunglasses on my head. I get the free water from QS locations so don't need to carry water.

I try to keep my bag small in months that aren't going to require things like misters and ponchos that can take up space. Usually I do a small messenger bag like this one (though I got mine at the Coach outlet store to keep it cheaper).

However, my next trip will be with DH, and he drinks more water than anyone I've ever met. So I'll probably use this bag, which served me very well walking miles upon miles in Europe this summer and has been my go-to for places like the state fair this year. So I expect it will hold up well for WDW.

If in the summer months though, when I may need those ponchos or the mister, etc... I just wear a backpack. It's easier.

I generally don't take food or drink, so other than my camera bag, I'll just be wearing a sparkle skirt. It has two large pockets on the legs and a giant zipper pouch pocket at the waist. They are awesome for amusement parks. I wear them mostly for running. Www.sparkleskirts.com
Oh MY GOsh I love the sparkle skirts! (sorry OT) did you see the Minnie ones?

Oh MY GOsh I love the sparkle skirts! (sorry OT) did you see the Minnie ones?

Yup, they have several. I like mouse in the mix the best. Plus, they do custom ones so there are some awesome Disney skirts that have been made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter