Large group questions..

mshrm

Mouseketeer
We are planning to rent a large 10br house and have a group of 20+ people for a stay of 9 days and 8 nights. I think the resort is Solterra off of I-4. From those that have done things like this before I would like to ask a few questions.

Q1 How did you handle meals? My thoughts were people were on their own for breakfast with different options in the house. Lunches people would probably eat in the parks. Dinners, something back at the house. "Something" needs to be quick and simple that any adult can do so that no one feels obligated to be in charge of meals.

Q2 What is NOT is these houses? The reviews seem to be good on the house and it claims to come with kitchen needs and linens. What do you usually find missing when you rent these houses? Do you usually have things like crock pots?

Q3 What do you wish you had known before? What was the hardest part of managing groups that size? Or the hardest part of being in a rental house.

Is it a number of family groups or individuals?

I think meals are going to be your biggest problem mostly because you will have no idea how many people will be there for even breakfast (any rope droppers). Unless this is one huge close family group I wouldn't plan on any large at house meals. Not even sure i would group shop except for drinks and snacks.

Q3 .... What was the hardest part of managing groups that size? Or the hardest part of being in a rental house.

Two thoughts on large groups.

Its like herding cats

They also have a lot of inertia. Takes energy to get them moving and energy to get them to stop.

My boss does a big family vacation and he has a chart to assign meals from breakfast to night cap. Not sure you want to do this but you may need something like it and how will everyone react to it.

At a minimum you should have the same expectations of how this is going to work.

Last edited:
Our group is family and friends. Their are some who I expect to be independent but teenagers and younger will need to be fed at the house.

20 + in one villa . ....... Change that for a start ......

Make it 10 in one villa & rent a 2nd villa for the other 10 +

How many cars will there be ? 6 or 7 or more ? where will they park or be allowed to park ?

If 4 cars are on drive way & the driver of the car nearest road is eating breakfast will he move

his car to allow the others out ?

Half eaten food all over the place ....... juice drinks lying around ready to be spilt ..

who will mop up the mess ? Who cares anyway it is not our villa ..... we are renting it for 8 nights

& the " forfeited " small deposit will be split 20 ways

And we will have had an " Awesome " & " Cheap " vacation

I've done a large group trip with 28 people, but not to Disney. We did a beach week with 6 families (all friends, not related) and we rented two large houses with two large pools right next to each other.

The first thing I would do is to split up, as the PP mentioned. Even though all 28 of us got together for dinner each night, it was good to have the extra room of two houses to spread out. With three families in each house (11 bedrooms total, not including pull outs in each living room) it was still crowded and tight. Some rentals only allow a certain number of guests in one house to comply with code, so you might want to check that out.

We got together when planning and each family picked a night to prepare a meal for everyone. I remember the meals were simple, like pasta, pancakes, quesadillas, tacos, sloppy joes. There were a few nights that one or two families decided to eat out, and that was fine. (We decided that ahead of time) Breakfasts and lunch were on your own.

Honestly, preparing food for that large of a crowd was not easy and took up a lot of time. We were at the beach so it was much easier for us to just walk up to the house and cook, but I can't even imagine the time and energy it would take to leave a park where you've been running around all day and then prepare a meal for a few hours. Maybe you can do a few meals (2 or 3) where everyone pitches in. Some may want to head back to the parks for nighttime shows anyway.

Bring paper plates, cups and plastic utensils to save time with doing dishes and in case there's not enough place settings for everyone.

The contract for the rental should include specifics on linens and cleaning. The owner should be able to tell you what appliances are there.

Some tips, don't plan to do everything together. It's surprising how much your close friends can get on your nerves after a few days!
Whatever amount of time you estimate it will take to get everyone out the door, double it. Especially if you don't have enough bathrooms!
Make sure each adult knows what they're responsible for with cleaning up so they can pass it down to their family and kids.
You might have to schedule laundry times. 4 people could have the same idea at 10pm of washing their clothes for the next day!

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but to give you an idea of what it's like with a large group. We travel with a large group of extended family to Disney about every other trip, but we don't all stay together. Each family has their own condo/room and we meet up a few times in the parks including some meals. That works out well for us and no one is bound to a schedule. Disney is so busy to begin with!

Good luck!

Very interesting thoughts. I do not plan to split up our group. We do have a very large house that will hold the group. I did suggest in the beginning that we get 2 houses but that idea was not received well. This "party" is to celebrate our sons graduation and all guests want to be in the house. We are coming together from across the US so part of the idea is to hang together.

The house has 10br/8ba so I think there will be plenty of room and bathrooms. So far Im only counting 4-5 rental cars. The driveway itself can hold 4. I cant imagine anyone in our group not willing to move a car when being asked. But that said it seems like a good idea to have a morning plan each day so that no one has to wake up and move a car. Going back and forth to the parks concerns me some but Im going to advise people to plan on uber at times. Other than the first day we do not plan to enter the parks together.

I was thinking of hamburgers, hotdogs, fish, and chicken that could be grilled easily and store bought salads (potato, etc...) lots of fruit and bottled waters. Just seems kinda boring was hoping others had more inspiring but easy ideas. The sloppy joes, or spaghetti are good ideas.

Organized laundry times is a great idea! I can see a mad rush at the end of the week.

Thank you!

I was thinking of hamburgers, hotdogs, fish, and chicken that could be grilled easily and store bought salads (potato, etc...) lots of fruit and bottled waters. Just seems kinda boring was hoping others had more inspiring but easy ideas. The sloppy joes, or spaghetti are good ideas.

I think the issue is everyone (or even most of them) going to be around for a group dinner. This meal could easily take 2 hours to coordinate for a large group. Pizza delivery maybe a quicker option as long as everyone can decide what they want.

Very interesting thoughts. I do not plan to split up our group. We do have a very large house that will hold the group. I did suggest in the beginning that we get 2 houses but that idea was not received well. This "party" is to celebrate our sons graduation and all guests want to be in the house. We are coming together from across the US so part of the idea is to hang together.

The house has 10br/8ba so I think there will be plenty of room and bathrooms. So far Im only counting 4-5 rental cars. The driveway itself can hold 4. I cant imagine anyone in our group not willing to move a car when being asked. But that said it seems like a good idea to have a morning plan each day so that no one has to wake up and move a car. Going back and forth to the parks concerns me some but Im going to advise people to plan on uber at times. Other than the first day we do not plan to enter the parks together.

Organized laundry times is a great idea! I can see a mad rush at the end of the week.

Thank you!

I'd give ideas, but I know the bigger the group, the more you have to plan for intolerances, allergies, diet choices, etc...you also have to plan for who is paying for all the food...since it's a graduation, are you planning on being the one to pay and stock the entire place? If so, I do have some ideas for you, but I'd also like to know if you have any gluten-free, vegetarians, dairy-free, raw diet, sensory issue, etc folks...or do these folks eat anything in front of them as long as it's free (which is my family:)...

Yes I will go with one other to do the shopping but I am planning to stock the house. I plan to have a budget of $1000 and will see how that goes. I only plan on dinner being cooked and most likely would be ready to eat at 5pm. Im assuming there will always be around 15 for the meal. I am not aware of any special diets and dont plan to cater to any. I have already told people to plan on their own special needs as well as drinks. Its my plan to buy only bottled waters.

Yes I will go with one other to do the shopping but I am planning to stock the house. I plan to have a budget of $1000 and will see how that goes. I only plan on dinner being cooked and most likely would be ready to eat at 5pm. Im assuming there will always be around 15 for the meal. I am not aware of any special diets and dont plan to cater to any. I have already told people to plan on their own special needs as well as drinks. Its my plan to buy only bottled waters.

Okay, that's a lower budget than my original thoughts would work with:)...So, you have $100 for beverages, $100 for snacks, $100 for papers/plastic products, $200 for breakfast, and $500 for dinners...8 dinners would mean that's about $65/night for 15...so, I'm posting cheap to make recipes that still have a lot of healthful components:)...

1. BBQ Sandwiches, Chips, Coleslaw, Grapes
2. Mac and Cheese, Steamed or Roasted Broccoli, Sliced Oranges
3. Chili Spaghetti 3-way (jarred or homemade chili, cheese, chopped onion) with option to have Spaghetti with just jarred sauce (chili will be way cheaper than meatballs, but you could change this to meatballs), Bagged Salad
4. Hot Dogs (use leftover chili and cheese here if you have any), Chips and/or Potato Salad, Sliced Apples
5. Pizza (Dominos deal - pick up), Bagged Salad
6. Rotisserie Chicken (4-5 of them), Boxed Stuffing, Bagged Salad (so people can make chicken salad if they want)
7. Tacos and Chips and Salsa (this is the most work, so the one I'd either drop or outsource to Taco Bell:)...
8. Breakfast for Dinner (Cowboy Breakfast Casserole - use premade garlic bread - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cowboy-christmas-breakfast-231220, Tater Tots, Choose-Your-Own Whole Fruit)
9. (optional since you only need 8 meals) Cheese or Veg or Beef Ravioli (use frozen kind - 3-5 minutes to boil), Jarred Alfredo and Tomato Sauce, Bagged Caesar Salad...

Last edited:
I only plan on dinner being cooked and most likely would be ready to eat at 5pm.

We are open to close people so we don't leave a park to eat but with this schedule do you think someone will volunteer or will you have to draft someone to leave a park at say 2:30 to get this meal ready by 5?

Last edited:
For breakfasts, I'd have available...
3 types of cereal - Cheerios, Flakes (I do Frosted), and Kid (Cocoa Krispies is a favorite)
Bread with Butter, Jam, Peanut Butter
Coffee, Milk, Orange Juice
Large Containers of Yogurt (Plain and/or Vanilla)
Fresh Fruit - Apples, Bananas, Clementines, Berries
Granola/Nuts
Breakfast Bars
(Hardboiled eggs if you have a gluten-free person and the time to boil a bunch your 1st day - you can use them on salad later if they don't get eaten)
Paper Bowls (Cereal), Paper Cups (Juice/Milk/Yogurt Parfaits), Paper Plates, and Spoons - use the room's knives and coffee cups

This gives people plenty of options for the day and the week without getting too expensive. I'd save bacon/cooked eggs/sausage/pancakes as a possible dinner option and keep breakfast quick and simple for all to grab. I'd just mention to everyone that you plan a continental cold breakfast every morning which will have plenty for all to grab...but you think it's easiest to save the cooking mess, noise, and time for evenings:)...

Those are very good ideas! I do plan on grab n go breakfast but was also thinking of a casseroles and burritos for breakfast. I want to do some that can be made the night before. I like the idea of tacos and or fajitas. I would do this early on and make rice and beans to go with it so that leftovers could be used for daytime burritos. I was thinking of of Mac and Cheese too, thats what made me wonder if those houses have crockpots. I figure two large ones could really make meals a snap. Do these houses normally have them?

As for the budget that is my own planned amount. There will be other adults that will also purchase food for the house and make dishes. However we are the hosts and at least 6 of the guests are there at our expense and bequest. I want to plan out meals for each day to make shopping easy and know we have a plan. The more I can grill the better because then I can pass the work to my husband leaving me free to handle any side dish. Im assuming there is a lot of fresh produce in this area, oranges and watermelons for sure.

As for who is going to leave the parks early to do all this that would be me and my husband. We already have a plan to rope drop in the mornings have a nice lunch watch a show or parade and leave the park by 2 or 3. There are some young babies in this group too at least 3 between ages 1-3. My husband and I plan to stay home most of the evenings so that the parents can have some park time without babies. We will have other adult help at the house most days because some members of the group are not able physically to go to the parks for very long.

Thank you guys! Its starting to not be so overwhelming! LOL

Woohoo I love this post! I'm hoping to travel with a large group in 2019 but I'm already planning on our little family sharing a house with another little family; I would go crazy being in a house with like 6 other families even though it's my family. haha!

Do you plan on writing a trip report after? Would love your feedback. :)

Thank you Naomiatix86 it is an exciting endeavor! It sounds like your already on your way too. We started our original research early on too. I hope that Im planning the house part early enough that most goes well. Ive never done a trip report before but maybe after all this planning, lol. You are certainly in the right place for planning. I learn so much from the people here who for the most part just want to help others have a great time at Disney. The really nice part is that so many of the people here have BTDT and can help with the pitfalls.

I hear ya Badger group vacations are not for everyone. We have done groups before but usually with everyone in their own hotel room. I hope this goes wonderful because I hope to talk our gang into a repeat in Hawaii in a couple years! And if it doesnt go well, there will be lots of cocktails :yay:

All I can think reading this post is that you couldn't pay me enough money to share a house with 20 other people on vacation. The whole kitchen/food part of it sounds awful.

Count us in that. We did it once, even with the meals clearly and on paper spelled out ... it was too much (and we are all very close). I said at that point, we could all travel together but everyone gets their own space. It can even be side by side but not sharing.

Those are very good ideas! I do plan on grab n go breakfast but was also thinking of a casseroles and burritos for breakfast. I want to do some that can be made the night before. I like the idea of tacos and or fajitas. I would do this early on and make rice and beans to go with it so that leftovers could be used for daytime burritos. I was thinking of of Mac and Cheese too, thats what made me wonder if those houses have crockpots. I figure two large ones could really make meals a snap. Do these houses normally have them?

As for the budget that is my own planned amount. There will be other adults that will also purchase food for the house and make dishes. However we are the hosts and at least 6 of the guests are there at our expense and bequest. I want to plan out meals for each day to make shopping easy and know we have a plan. The more I can grill the better because then I can pass the work to my husband leaving me free to handle any side dish. Im assuming there is a lot of fresh produce in this area, oranges and watermelons for sure.

As for who is going to leave the parks early to do all this that would be me and my husband. We already have a plan to rope drop in the mornings have a nice lunch watch a show or parade and leave the park by 2 or 3. There are some young babies in this group too at least 3 between ages 1-3. My husband and I plan to stay home most of the evenings so that the parents can have some park time without babies. We will have other adult help at the house most days because some members of the group are not able physically to go to the parks for very long.

Thank you guys! Its starting to not be so overwhelming! LOL

If you are staying in at night, that makes breakfast prep for a hot dish much easier (plus dinner clean up and prep much easier, since it will be you:))...some ideas for breakfast (maybe 1 type per day) would be...
Stuffed French Toast Casserole
The Cowboy Breakfast (I mentioned above)
Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
or any of the other ideas on this site...https://www.simplystacie.net/2015/11/overnight-breakfast-casseroles/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter