Lasseter may return to Disney

Bob Iger needs to win one for the Gipper by taking Lasseter out of the game.

"Doc, some time when the crew is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc, but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."

Lasseter was such a huge, visionary presence at both studios. I wonder how rudderless they may be at the moment. Also, Pete Doctor being "reluctant" to take the job does not bode well. I think they need someone driven and ambitious, quite frankly if they are to compete with Chris Milandri over at Universal's Illumination and DreamWorks. That's THEIR John Lasseter and he has an astonishing rate of success with production budgets less than half of Disney's.

Lasseter was such a huge, visionary presence at both studios. I wonder how rudderless they may be at the moment. Also, Pete Doctor being "reluctant" to take the job does not bode well. I think they need someone driven and ambitious, quite frankly if they are to compete with Chris Milandri over at Universal's Illumination and DreamWorks. That's THEIR John Lasseter and he has an astonishing rate of success with production budgets less than half of Disney's.

I don't think we should root for Disney to do anything like Illumination / Dreamworks. There track records of late (as far as QUALITY) are not real good if it's not Kung Fu Pandas or Training Dragons. Despicable Me was great, but loses more luster with each movie.

There is definitely a threat without Lasseter of their films losing quality, but I also think that quality of Pixar/Disney has slipped a bit in recent years as it is...so maybe it was time for a change.

I don't think we should root for Disney to do anything like Illumination / Dreamworks. There track records of late (as far as QUALITY) are not real good if it's not Kung Fu Pandas or Training Dragons. Despicable Me was great, but loses more luster with each movie.

There is definitely a threat without Lasseter of their films losing quality, but I also think that quality of Pixar/Disney has slipped a bit in recent years as it is...so maybe it was time for a change.
Oh...believe me...I love Lasseter's Disney and Pixar. I do NOT want them to follow Illumination and DreamWorks. They don't hold a candle but they are incredibly successful was all I was saying. Personally, I don't like their stuff.

Good! I know this may not happen, but I was hoping maybe Jennifer Lee might make Disney bring back hand drawn animation. I can't promise it'll happen, but we'll see how it goes.

I don’t want tonfully go back but it would be nice if it were an option if the right project comes along - or even for shorts or something

Good! I know this may not happen, but I was hoping maybe Jennifer Lee might make Disney bring back hand drawn animation. I can't promise it'll happen, but we'll see how it goes.

My hope is that they will develop the hybrid system that we saw with Paperman. I would love to see Pixar and Disney be more distinct from one another again.

Disney’s problem right now is that they don’t have their own full fledged 2D software. The old CAPS systems were trashed, so they’d have to use Toon Boom Harmony if they wanted to make 2D films.

Even Lasseter couldn't do this when Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh both tanked. (And yes Princess and the Frog did not do well at the box office, even though it was GREAT.)

I agree. Doctor seems a reasonably "safe" pick and Jennifer Lee is just riding the coattails of the fluke success of Frozen. Neither are inspiring to me and I don't see the pedigree to drive the studios forward. (Brad Bird may have been a better pick for Pixar or even both studios but may not have wanted the job) Both studios seem to be running out of gas though...

My hope is that they will develop the hybrid system that we saw with Paperman. I would love to see Pixar and Disney be more distinct from one another again.

Disney’s problem right now is that they don’t have their own full fledged 2D software. The old CAPS systems were trashed, so they’d have to use Toon Boom Harmony if they wanted to make 2D films.
I agree. They either do it in Paperman style or maybe this style:
Even Lasseter couldn't do this when Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh both tanked. (And yes Princess and the Frog did not do well at the box office, even though it was GREAT.)
Yes, but still, I think hand drawn animation still gets another chance even though I'm not guaranteed it will happen. But we'll see how it goes.

I agree. Doctor seems a reasonably "safe" pick and Jennifer Lee is just riding the coattails of the fluke success of Frozen. Neither are inspiring to me and I don't see the pedigree to drive the studios forward. (Brad Bird may have been a better pick for Pixar or even both studios but may not have wanted the job) Both studios seem to be running out of gas though...

Lee was also a writer for Wreck it Ralph and Zootopia - i’d take more films like those

Sad thing is I am seeing some comments like “well, Disney just put a woman there to make the PC Police happy” ... not, you know, that she deserved it
Lasseter's are big shoes to fill and her resume does appear slight when considering that. Disney must have confidence in her as we are talking about an income generator(Disney Animation Studios) that has synergies throughout the company. What she has been involved in is certainly outstanding stuff so I am hopeful.

The proof will be in the product in 2-3 years time.

Sad thing is I am seeing some comments like “well, Disney just put a woman there to make the PC Police happy” ... not, you know, that she deserved it

Of the 6 animated films to break $1 billion, she was involved in two of them. She wrote the screenplay and directed the top animated film of all time (Frozen) and she has a writing credit for Zootopia. Her next two projects, Ralph 2 (Executive Producer) and Frozen 2, could do very well. Whether or not either one can break the billion dollar mark still remains to be seen, but it's hard to deny her success at the box office.

I personally think she's the most logical choice for Disney Animation Studios. She's young, ambitious and successful.

She's young, ambitious and successful.

This is exactly what they need. Universal is aiming both barrels at Disney with their version of John Lasseter(Chris Milandri) heading both Illumination and DreamWorks Animation. Personally, I can't stand most of their stuff but Milandri has Lasseter's commercial instincts and rolls out one global smash after another with production budgets half of what Disney's are.

I'm actually excited to see what she does for the studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter