"Last minute" reservations possible?

Grandbuddy

Does this shirt make me look Goofy?
I know it is best to plan way ahead, but...Has anyone ever tried (not in peak season, of course) to schedule a few days (Sun-Th) just a couple of weeks out? Can MS usually accomodate you if you are really flexible as to what you will take? Can they book you, for instance, in a moderate or value resort, if nothing is available in DVC properties? (And, if so, is there a permanently set number of points charged for such accomodations?)

Yes, I'm still trying to look at all the angles before jumping in!

Well if you dont travel in peak times and are flexible there might be a possibility they you could get something I know we have done that on mre than one occasion.But you have to not be picky.
Also you can not use points for Value the least one is a Moderate and the points are at least 2x what the DVC resorts are.

But I would not bank on getting something that close.I know that you best possibility would be at SSR or OKW.

I would have thought the moderate hotels would have been cheaper, points-wise, than the DVC properties. Don't they have less amenities?

They are not a DVC resort thats why that it is alot better to just use your points for the DVC resorts.You get more bang for your buck.The only true DVC resorts are BCV,BWV,VWL,SSR,OKW,AKV,HHI,VB.
The cheapest point per night for a moderate would be 16 points and then it goes up to 46 per night. oh and then you have a 95.00 fee that you would have to pay now to if you wanted to do that.

As luvingdisneyworld said, the moderates are not DVC resorts, they are owned by Disney, not members. To trade to the non-DVC resorts DVC pays a negotiated price, that can change, and usually increases, every year.

You can not trade to a regular WDW resort that is associated with a DVC resort, meaning you can not stay at Boardwalk Inn, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge (non-DVC rooms) or Beach Club on points. They will likely add the Contemporary to the list the year that the Kingdom Tower opens for reservations.

You can not initiate a reservation at non-DVC hotels if you are within the last 4 months of your use year.

I just seen that about the 4 months so is that something new? I may have just never paid attention to it before.
As luvingdisneyworld said, the moderates are not DVC resorts, they are owned by Disney, not members. To trade to the non-DVC resorts DVC pays a negotiated price, that can change, and usually increases, every year.

You can not trade to a regular WDW resort that is associated with a DVC resort, meaning you can not stay at Boardwalk Inn, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge (non-DVC rooms) or Beach Club on points. They will likely add the Contemporary to the list the year that the Kingdom Tower opens for reservations.

You can not initiate a reservation at non-DVC hotels if you are within the last 4 months of your use year.

well never say never like Ihave said I have been able to get BWV studio standard view about 2 weeks out in December before and I have gotten May and September before also but I just would not plan on it if thats how you vacation;) We just consider it to have been luck.
DVC is not the place for spontaneous types.

I just seen that about the 4 months so is that something new? I may have just never paid attention to it before.

It used to be 2 months, it was increased to 4 months this year. I guess they are trying to make it consistent with the new banking deadline.

Well, I wouldn't buy airline tickets before getting a reservation. About anything is possible. But as they say, "Don't count your chickens..." We just made a reservation for SSR at 7 weeks out. That is very last minute in my way of thinking. Two weeks out will be pretty tough. You may have to move from resort to resort or be very flexible in your dates. Even 7 weeks out I had to change from one week to another. But DH is going on a business trip to Orlando and we had the option of reserving before or after the conference. The week after was totally booked. But the week before had the weekdays open we wanted. The CM said we were pretty lucky because it was the last 1-bedroom at SSR and no other resort was open for any of our dates. Now on another trip in May a couple years ago we were able to extend an extra day in a 1-bedroom at OKW during the trip. There is a waitlist that seems to work for many people. But it is always best to reserve early. You will be disappointed at times if you don't. Also, remember that low season for WDW is not always low season for DVC. For example, the first couple weeks of December are low season. But you usually need to book 11 months out for DVC resorts. With the lower points and Christmas decorations out, it is a very popular time for DVC members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter