Last minute trip to Anaheim

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
We live relatively close to Orlando, so, by default, we have always been WDW people. DVC and WDW AP holders. Visit there at least twice a year; often more.

Unexpectedly, I am going to find myself in Anaheim for business in about 10 days, with my 16-y.o. in tow. We have a free day in the mix, and are trying to work in a trip to either DL or DCA.

I have visited both parks once, about three years ago, but my son has never been. We are in no way "experts" re: the California parks & resorts like we are with the Florida properties. Was hoping for some guidance on two questions:

1.) What is the better park to visit right now?

I know that Pixar Pier won't open for a few more weeks (and California Screamin' is down right now for the Incredicoaster refurb, right?), but my son would probably dig RSR and Mission: Breakout.

On the other hand, I think he'd equally dig the DL version of Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain.

On the third hand, I am not sure how much Galaxy's Edge is gumming up the works in DL.​

I know it probably boils down to personal opinion and preference, but is there any objective winner for a visit right now?​

2.) There's really nothing my WDW AP or my DVC membership can do in terms of getting a break on DL/DCA one-day park admission, is there? I am 99% sure the answer is "no", but every once in a while with Disney Parks, I am surprised to find a discount or a deal that I never knew existed.

Thank you!

Any chance in springing for parkhoppers? You could hit all the rides you listed that way!

If not, definitely Disneyland with the pier down at DCA. And I say this as an avowed DCA-lover.

Yeah, maybe PH. But I don't want to feel rushed. I was thinking one park so we could "soak it all in", y'know?

Wow, I did not realize the entire pier was down right now. I thought at least the midway area with TSMM would still be open. Thanks for the heads-up!

If PH is in the budget do it. Absolutely do it. You can see all the highlights (especially if you get MaxPass!! and while it’s a full day it will be an awesome day).

Yeah, maybe PH. But I don't want to feel rushed. I was thinking one park so we could "soak it all in", y'know?

Wow, I did not realize the entire pier was down right now. I thought at least the midway area with TSMM would still be open. Thanks for the heads-up!
TSMM has been open but that’s it and there is a lot more to the pier than TSMM so TSMM running doesn’t count out here to our minds as the pier being open :)

TSMM is open. It hasn't closed during all of this.

Last edited:
TSMM is open. It hasn't closed during all of this. The Carousel is open also
The carousel is not open.

As noted, TSMM has been open; however, the coaster, Ferris wheel, carousel, etc. are all closed. You go to TSMM through a corridor of construction walls.

Read this thread for a refresher on DLR differences/similarities compared to WDW and for lots of good information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. (It will be very helpful for your son, too.)
Another vote for parkhoppers and MaxPass! With good planning and organization, you'll be able to accomplish a lot! Get there early (be there for rope drop (which day will you be at DLR?) at whichever park doesn't have MM/EE/EMH and make the most of the morning hours. PTN is a great parade (unique to DLR) and WOC is an amazing show (also unique to DLR). F! is supposed to be better at DL, but the viewing is more difficult. For either WOC or F!, consider a dining package for reserved viewing (definitely for F!). The WOC Dessert Party is a very fun splurge. PTN has a very long parade route, so finding good viewing spots isn't difficult.
There are rarely discounts of any kind for one day DLR tickets. WDW APs don't get any discounts on food or merchandise, either. If you have a Disney Visa card, you can get some discounts at restaurants and shops. Buy your tickets ahead on the DLR app (download for free) or on the DLR website, then head straight to the gates. Don't waste your time at the ticket booths when you only have one day. Have a credit card on file on the app, and with your tickets already scanned in, you should be able to purchase MP as soon as you go through the turnstile.
Have a great DLR day!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter