Last time you rode a bus (when not on vacation) or school

Last March, traveling from my friend’s condo uptown in New Orleans. We walked to the bus stop Near Audubon zoo to go to French market festival two days in a row. Beautiful weather, free festival, food from various good booths was exceptional as usual. Excellent away to beat the crowds, traffic and no parking.I slipped on some oak leaves near the bus stop and needed 6 weeks of PT, otherwise perfect lol. We also take the streetcar on occasion in New a Orleans.

We have a bus that our college owns that shuttles us to and from our building on days when we have to park off-site. We sell our parking garage out for baseball day games during the Indians' season and thus we get shuttled to work.

Aside from that, there's a soccer tournament every year where the parking is mostly at an offsite lot and they use school buses to shuttle people to and from the games.

For years we used to park and ride a bus for Jazz festival too but now we park a couple miles away and uber.

Thinking about it a bit more, we are actually quite lucky for a few reasons:
  1. The park-and-ride is right next to the on-ramp that she would take to work anyway. So that part of the commute isn't any extra for her.
  2. The bus she gets on is an express bus, to downtown. It picks up at 2 other Park-and-rides, but they are before hers, so no stops after she is picked up. (And she said the bus is practically empty when it picks her up, so obviously those other park-and-rides aren't used much).
  3. The downtown depot/stop is next door to her office.
So in her situation, there is very little overhead to take the bus. And bringing up cost, that is another factor. A bus pass for her (through a deal at work) is $40/mo, whereas parking in the garage would be $85/mo, so there is a nice savings there. (Parking at the park-and-ride garage is free). I guess we hit the golden ticket on this one.
Those monthly parking fees can certainly get ya!

I can't truly complain too too much about our system, I've yet to actually need to use it in the suburbs, but it is at least available to use. It's just unlikely to be a time saver all things considered.

Now if you're actually in Downtown our Streetcar (which I've yet to be able to use lol) has been quite loved and they are working on expansion routes there. Presently it takes a 2mile journey in the heart of Downtown. For tourists, business workers, and locals that's been considered a fantastic usage of public transit and it's 100% free to use (for now lol).

This morning. And this afternoon. It's a third of my 2-hour commute each way.

Now ask when the last time I was on a train. This morning. And this afternoon. Sigh.

This weekend. I live in a city where buses are common for public transit. I went for a long walk this weekend and ended up further from home than I expected, so hopped on a bus to get me a little closer back to home.

I used to take the public bus to school every day in middle school and high school, school bus didn't go all the way out to my house. Also used to take public bus all over the place when I was s kid, my mom didn't know how to drive. As an adult, it's been less but still use them. We went to DLand a few weeks ago and took the Amtrak, very crowded friday afternoon with commuters.

6 years ago in England. My daughter was wrapping up a year of studying there and bus, train and Amber Cars (their version of Uber and Lyft) were the only way for us to get around.
Here at home, probably close to 60 years ago.

It snowed and I didn't want to drive. This was years ago before I had the $$$ for good snow tires, and many more years of driving experience. Probably safer for both reasons.

Yesterday. I took the bus to and from a local college where I gave blood.

Last edited:
Never outside of school and vacations. We live in a very rural area and the only public transportation in our county is a small bus that runs in our town of less than 2,000. It’s probably less than a 3 mile route total.

2015. For my husband's 60th bday my daughters and I rented a school bus and driver to drive all his party guests from microbrewery to microbrewery. We sang songs and it was great!

Big Red Bus tour in some city, LOL.
Pretty much the only time I've ridden a bus other than that would be as a shuttle from hotel to convention, or for some other work reason.
Thankful to have access to a vehicle, having to rely on a bus around here would stink. I'd rather ride a bike.

Probably my cousin's wedding a year ago. They had buses arranged to take guests from the hotel to the reception and back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter