Late start touring plan for USH

Thank you for this information. This is one thing I am worried about! My husband will be in charge of keeping the 3 yr old happy so I can take the big kids on the rides.

Potentially controversial question, but have you considered having your husband and 3-year old do something different that day? The Universal tickets are so expensive and with your husband's motion sickness, it sounds like the only "rides" you 5 of you would all be able to do together are Flight of the Hippogriff (which will be a let down compared to any of the 40" minimum roller coasters at Disneyland) and the Studio Tour which, while interesting, is not likely to hold a 3-year olds interest and the Skull Island part might actually freak her out. The shows are fun, but I'm not sure they're $200 fun. If you want him to drive so you don't have to, they could always drop you off, go to the zoo for the day, and come back to pick you up.

Thank you for this information. This is one thing I am worried about! My husband will be in charge of keeping the 3 yr old happy so I can take the big kids on the rides.
Unless you are comfortable taking your kids in the single rider line and getting separated at the end (which, at their ages, I personally would not be - USH is NOT DL!), I would still buy the front of the line pass. This way your 3 year old is not sitting for hours doing nothing while you stand in long lines and you can spend more time together as a family rather than separated. It was miserable. You could ride with one kid, then trade and have your husband ride with the other, too. Still WAY shorter than the stand by line plus RS, and their Rider Switch process sucks quite frankly.

Potentially controversial question, but have you considered having your husband and 3-year old do something different that day? The Universal tickets are so expensive and with your husband's motion sickness, it sounds like the only "rides" you 5 of you would all be able to do together are Flight of the Hippogriff (which will be a let down compared to any of the 40" minimum roller coasters at Disneyland) and the Studio Tour which, while interesting, is not likely to hold a 3-year olds interest and the Skull Island part might actually freak her out. The shows are fun, but I'm not sure they're $200 fun. If you want him to drive so you don't have to, they could always drop you off, go to the zoo for the day, and come back to pick you up.
If it were up to me we wouldn't be going to USH. But my two oldest requested to go and my DD11 requested to go on her birthday, so how do I say no to that? LOL I don't think my husband would feel comfortable taking the 3 yr old by himself. If we were at home or at the Disney parks, he would do it, but being in LA and have never been there before I don't think he would go for that. We have already purchased tickets so can't turn back now!

I agree that your husband is going to be doing a lot of waiting, but on the big rides he can wait with you and then wait in the rider switch room while you ride. FJ has a great line with a lot to look at so it keeps you pretty entertained. The rider switch rooms all have seating and a movie playing. My DH and younger son wait there a lot when we go. Regarding single rider, I wouldn't worry about using it with kids at 11 and 13. I've been using it with my son since he was 9 and have never had a problem. Half the time we end up on the same car together and if not I send him first and his dad is waiting at the exit. The TMs are very friendly and it's never been a problem at all. He much prefers it to waiting in long lines.

I agree that your husband is going to be doing a lot of waiting, but on the big rides he can wait with you and then wait in the rider switch room while you ride. FJ has a great line with a lot to look at so it keeps you pretty entertained. The rider switch rooms all have seating and a movie playing. My DH and younger son wait there a lot when we go. Regarding single rider, I wouldn't worry about using it with kids at 11 and 13. I've been using it with my son since he was 9 and have never had a problem. Half the time we end up on the same car together and if not I send him first and his dad is waiting at the exit. The TMs are very friendly and it's never been a problem at all. He much prefers it to waiting in long lines.
Thank you! That's great to hear about the rider switch areas and single rider lines!

Unless you are comfortable taking your kids in the single rider line and getting separated at the end (which, at their ages, I personally would not be - USH is NOT DL!), I would still buy the front of the line pass. This way your 3 year old is not sitting for hours doing nothing while you stand in long lines and you can spend more time together as a family rather than separated. It was miserable. You could ride with one kid, then trade and have your husband ride with the other, too. Still WAY shorter than the stand by line plus RS, and their Rider Switch process sucks quite frankly.

I would agree if her husband wanted to ride everything, the Express Pass might be a way to go, but since he can't ride any of the motion simulator rides, the only ride where they would have to "switch" would be Jurassic Park. All of the other rides either: (1) all of them would ride; (2) her 3-year old would ride but not her husband; or (3) she and the two older ones can do single rider and he could take the 3-year old and wander the park while they wait and ride. I've had no issues at USH sending my 7 and 9 year olds through the single rider line ahead of me and telling them to wait at the exit. As @oakleycat stated above, usually we end up in the same vehicle (Jurassic Park, Transformers, and Mummy) or a few apart (FJ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!