LE amputation and WDW

jbm02

DIS Veteran
Looking for recommendations and advice to help us with an unexpected issue for our upcoming WDW trip (late April/early May). DH's right leg was amputated just below the knee in November. We thought he would have a prosthetic by now but his stump is still slowly healing. He will not have a prosthesis by the time of our trip, but does not want to cancel it. We're flying, and have notified the airline that he'll have a rollator and that transfers are difficult. We've ordered an ECV for WDW, have a HA room, notified ME that we'll need a bus with a lift when we arrive. I've researched rides that require ambulation (no-go for us) and tried to get an idea of how the ones that are HA work (still a work in progress- not really sure how they all work and what is too difficult to attempt). Can anyone offer recommendations, suggestions? Is there anything else I should anticipate and organize before leaving? Has anyone else been in a rollator for a plane trip?? Thanks in advance for any assistance?

Sorry your husband’s healing has been slower than expected.

WDW does not have any ride-restrictions specifically for amputees. At some attractions I believe he can remain on his ECV, and most others he can take the ECV up to the boarding to transfer. A few rides don’t allow ECVs in the queue and a wheelchair should be available for him to use at those. The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a lot of good information, including some pictures.

Airplane aisles are quite narrow; I’m not sure a rollator will fit down the aisle. I know several posters here use rollator so hopefully someone will share their experience. Could he use a cane just for boarding? The rollator can be used in the jetway and then folded.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would have him get a wheelchair at the airport to use to get onto the plane. I think the rollator would be very difficult to take through the airport and onto the plane without a prosthetic leg. I would check the rollator at the jetway if you can take it there for him. Someone at the airport would push him to the plane. Also request one to meet him in Orlando and take him to ME. As for getting onto the ME bus I don’t know the rules for using their lift. I don’t know if he has to be in the wheelchair to get up into it. Or if he can transfer to the seat on the rollator to ride it up. I just don’t know. You might need to get a wheelchair to take simply to use ME. Again I use a rollator but can climb bus steps so I don’t know their policies on this.

Advise your airline that your husband will require assistance to get on and off the airplane. It is commonly called a "carry-on/carry-off" service and the airline ground staff will use a small compact wheelchair from the bridge near the airplane and to get him to his seat. Once he arrives in MCO, the ground staff will come in with a similar wheelchair and help him off. As others have said, the aircraft aisle is quite narrow, but don't worry: some aircrafts are even equipped with an on-board collapsible wheelchair in case he needs to use the bathroom during the flight.

Disney World has no restrictions per say for rides when it comes to amputees, but remember that both Peter Pan's Flight and Peoplemover use moving walkways for boarding. Those can't be stopped and so it could be impossible for him to ride those attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter