"Lemme Get You By Your Fishy Fin!" a May/F&G '18 dining report *COMPLETE 8/29, Maria & Enzo's

I just found this and I’m loving it! Omg the wedding story was so funny with the bride demanding everyone take advantage of the open bar and scallops, because I’m the same way! Sorry you had to cancel your September trip but more sorry for me and your other fans because it means we won’t be able to read that! :guilty: Now I’m off to read your June report!

People Mover :lovestruc Your dinner at F&G looks like a perfect night! Getting me so excited for my trip in October for F&W!
People Mover is so timelessly charming! :goodvibes Excited to hear about your F&W adventures when you get back!

All the dishes from the food booths...so yummy! Sounds kind of like a perfect night. :)
I totally agree. Any night with that much sampling can be perfect! ::yes::

What a fun night! I love grazing around WS :)
Me too! Really one of my favorite activities in the World. :)

I think I also read that sometimes the "other" houses they are looking at aren't even on the market!

By the way, I read all of your June trip in one night and really enjoyed it! I'm glad to find this one!
Omg, yes -- I read that too. I wonder what other shocking secrets have yet to be told :scratchin

That is so nice to hear, I'm flattered! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you found this one too.

Congratulations on your new job! Sorry to hear it means leaving Oregon and canceling your F&W trip. All your F&G eats look yummy. For some reason I spaced on the booths when I was there and missed out on so much. Oh well, there’s always next year! Your description of your leisurely trip around the World sounds like perfection. I can’t wait until it starts to cool down a bit and I can make the same trip around the lagoon without being miserable.
Thank you! There really *is* always next year, and probably with expanded festival dates too since that seems to be the trend the last few years :) It seems that they bring back the hits each year too. All of Epcot is so much better when the weather's cool, it would really benefit from more shade when it's blazing hot and sunny!

I just found this and I’m loving it! Omg the wedding story was so funny with the bride demanding everyone take advantage of the open bar and scallops, because I’m the same way! Sorry you had to cancel your September trip but more sorry for me and your other fans because it means we won’t be able to read that! :guilty: Now I’m off to read your June report!
Bahaha, one of my favorite memories!, and also glad to hear you two are cut from the same cloth :teeth: I was so sad to cancel, but at least I'll always have the planning spreadsheet to remember it by :laughing:

(Another super brief life update - moved in to our new place, new job is going really well. We both feel 1,000% done with moving. There's a small chance we can make it to WDW for a short F&W weekend soon, if we can find someone to watch our dog in time. Here's hoping!)

Departure Day, Pt. 1: to the Poly!

We woke up early the next day, not brokenhearted (for the first time ever) to leave Disney. We were feeling anxious, squeezed by moving stress, and ready to leave — now so wonderfully ironic to recall as I write this, having moved yet again since then. :upsidedow We'd packed our bags the night before, so all that was left to do was shower then head to the Polynesian Resort for a breakfast reservation at Kona Cafe.

Parking at the Poly was a breeze and we were seated shortly after checking in at Kona. We were sat at the little two-person booth along the wall of the restaurant, which we both instantly loved.

Originally I had my eyes on the mimosa flight, but skipped it in favor of press pot coffee for the both of us.

In what felt like no time at all, our orders arrived hot from the kitchen. I settled on the Macadamia Nut Pancakes (with macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce, and choice of ham/bacon/sausage; I chose bacon | $14)

These weren't really to my taste, but they definitely delivered on the promise of plentiful macadamia nuts (one of my very favorites, along with walnuts and cashews). My "criticism" here is that the butter was plain, not macadamia nut butter; and, I don't really like pancakes, which again is purely a matter of personal taste. Waffles all the way! Still, I thought this would be more of a ~unique~ item than my next choice (the Polynesian Egg Platter). Unfortunately I had recently read a Yelp or TripAdvisor review in which someone said these pancakes were not special and were like eating a can full of plain macadamia nuts for breakfast. I dismissed that review at the time, yet after the first bite I kept remembering that phrasing and instantly understood what the person meant. I probably ate about half before throwing in the towel. These pancakes are huuuuuge.

I "suggested" (strongly urged) T to order the signature item everyone raves about: Tonga Toast! (Banana-stuffed French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Spiced Ham, Bacon, or Sausage | $16)

His thoughts on this were similar to mine on the pancakes. T loves french toast, bananas, and definitely cinnamon sugar!, but for whatever reason this just wasn't a hit. Neither of us are keen on sweet breakfasts either, so that has something to do with it.

Overall, we weren't much into the food and wouldn't return for breakfast, but were happy to give it a try. We saved $7.40 with Tables in Wonderland: a wonderful side effect of moving again is that I finally found which box holds Disney trip mementos (i.e. receipts, mostly).

After breakfast (it was about 9:20am when we left Kona) we wandered around the Polynesian just a little bit, then drove off to Animal Kingdom for our last FP of the trip! We rode Everest, FOP, and then had the most uncomfortable ride ever on the Safari. We were in the last row and the sun was beating down on our backs/seats the whole time, I was literally sliding off the seat from sweat. :eek:

After that, we kept picking up rolling FP for Everest :hyper:, so that we rode it a total of four times that morning! We also rode Dinosaur with a FP (there was a weirdly long standby wait...) and watched the Nemo show, more out of a desire for a cool, dark environment with air conditioning than anything else. We've since gotten the "togeeetheeerrrrrr, we swim tooogeeeeetheeerrr" song stuck in our heads a thousand times since May... so let that be a warning to you!

After the Nemo show we left, caught the parking tram back to our car because it really felt too hot to walk, and then we were on our way to Disney Springs for a farewell, pre-flight lunch at Maria & Enzo's. :goodvibes

(Another super brief life update - moved in to our new place, new job is going really well. We both feel 1,000% done with moving. There's a small chance we can make it to WDW for a short F&W weekend soon, if we can find someone to watch our dog in time. Here's hoping!)

Congrats! Glad everything is going well!

Ooo that would be awesome! Good luck, I hope you find someone to watch your dog!

I don't really like pancakes, which again is purely a matter of personal taste. Waffles all the way!

I'm the opposite :rotfl: I prefer pancakes, but I have no idea why! (And I'll eat either, just something about them).

T loves french toast, bananas, and definitely cinnamon sugar!, but for whatever reason this just wasn't a hit. Neither of us are keen on sweet breakfasts either, so that has something to do with it.

I agree, that's how I felt about the Tonga Toast too.

I had to come find this review after seeing you mention elsewhere that you live in Portland. Although now I see that things have changed since then. We moved from Portland to an absolute culinary wasteland a few years ago and miss our all of restaurants so much! (Not so much the housing prices.)

I had to come find this review after seeing you mention elsewhere that you live in Portland. Although now I see that things have changed since then. We moved from Portland to an absolute culinary wasteland a few years ago and miss our all of restaurants so much! (Not so much the housing prices.)
That's exactly how I feel about where we moved, too! I really miss the food and breweries in Portland most of all. :sad: Also, the housing prices here are astronomical. Already hoping to move back to our beloved pdx in a few years! I don't suppose you will be making a move back west too someday?

Congrats! Glad everything is going well!

Ooo that would be awesome! Good luck, I hope you find someone to watch your dog!
thank you! we hope so too!

I'm the opposite :rotfl: I prefer pancakes, but I have no idea why! (And I'll eat either, just something about them).
Haha, if only I could've given you some of those massive pancakes!
For me, it's the crispy texture of the waffles. But I love anything even slightly crunchy.

I agree, that's how I felt about the Tonga Toast too.
So many people rave about it, too! Another Disney food legend humbled by firsthand experience.

That's exactly how I feel about where we moved, too! I really miss the food and breweries in Portland most of all. :sad: Also, the housing prices here are astronomical. Already hoping to move back to our beloved pdx in a few years! I don't suppose you will be making a move back west too someday?

Not as long as we have a kid. The schools aren't great and a third person really adds to the cost. But it's way up there on the list when he goes off to college or otherwise moves out.

I hadn't paid much attention to the Trattoria al Forno character breakfast since we already met Rapunzel and Finn on the Magic and are meh on Little Mermaid. But I knew I had to tell DH about that steak and cheesy eggs breakfast and now we have an ADR.

I hadn't paid much attention to the Trattoria al Forno character breakfast since we already met Rapunzel and Finn on the Magic and are meh on Little Mermaid. But I knew I had to tell DH about that steak and cheesy eggs breakfast and now we have an ADR.

We're the complete opposite. Those are two of the three favorite princesses, so this meal would have been on the list even if they only offered bread and water. The fact that the food looks awesome is just a bonus!

Not as long as we have a kid. The schools aren't great and a third person really adds to the cost. But it's way up there on the list when he goes off to college or otherwise moves out.
I have heard that about public schools in pdx. We are childless, which helps :tilt: Good luck to you all when the time comes, I hope you get to live somewhere you really love again.

Haha, the power of good food. You can also ask for the non-character experience at checkin if you suddenly feel character fatigue (which I do).

We're the complete opposite. Those are two of the three favorite princesses, so this meal would have been on the list even if they only offered bread and water. The fact that the food looks awesome is just a bonus!
Love this phrasing!! :laughing:

Final Boarding Call: Lunch at Maria & Enzo's

At long last, the reservation I'd been waiting for was here: a late lunch (3:15pm) at Maria & Enzo's, a new-ish restaurant in Disney Springs.

We checked in early for our "flight reservation" at the checkin counter, which is themed like an airport's ticket counter at the gate. IIRC the checkin hosts also wear uniforms that resemble flight attendants. We were seated immediately, as lunch service was pretty much over. There was one other party wrapping up lunch when we entered, and then two parties were seated while we ate.

Walking into the restaurant feels very grand, like entering a ballroom. Huge, gorgeous windows on the far side give a beautiful view of the lake, hot air balloon, and Saratoga Springs. I am an aviation lover, so the Imagineered backstory behind Maria & Enzo's plays directly to my heart. The beautiful theme and atmosphere, which I think is influenced by the jazz age and travel of that era, was what I looked forward to most here. And it did not disappoint!

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint all of you instead because I took horribly unworthy photos. You'll have to experience it in person for yourselves :) There's upper story seating in addition to the main level, and there's a "first class lounge" (although imo it did not seem very first class, but more like an overflow room :tilt: ).

(Back of the menu)

Feeling sun-weary from that blistering hot safari, I ordered a mocktail, the Sicilian Blush: blood orange juice, pomegranate juice, lime, mint, simple syrup, club soda | $6

It was refreshing on such a hot day! If I had to describe the taste, I'd say one part club soda, one part blood orange San Pellegrino, one part pomegranate San Pellegrino. And a mint leaf :upsidedow

Because I had seen beautiful photos of huge chicken parmesans pounded thin and wide until they were the size of a dinner plate (!!!) on M&E's Yelp page, I was set on ordering that myself. But at the time, the lunch menu only offered chicken parmesan in a prix fixe menu, so I ordered the caesar salad along with it. For $21 I thought it was a good deal.

At some point a caesar salad is simply a caesar salad and there isn't much to say. This one had excellent olive croutons, great dressing, and nicely shaved parmesan.

This was good; not exciting, but done well enough. The tomato sauce underneath was sour and watery, but the chicken itself was fine. Although their menu warns of this, there isn't actually parmesan on top, it's mozzarella. I felt like it was a good size for lunch: smaller than usual Disney portions, and I still did not finish it.

Also here I must add there was some kind of bread service, I didn't take photos of it, and I think T had it all. IIRC it was just plain bread, possibly those thin long "breadsticks," and olive oil.

T ordered the Sicilian Oven Baked Pasta, which may have a different name now, but the ingredients will probably be similar: Sicilian baked pasta, meat ragu, peas, zucchini, caciocavallo cheese | $23.

As per usual, we only have one photo of the star of the meal. Like photographing an elusive unicorn in the forest, we have but a glimpse, and hardly a good one at that.

So this was definitely ugly delicious, but delicious. Our waiter played it cool, asking T how he liked it, and when T replied with how great it was, he went into total fanboy mode! He was super enthusiastic and ready to talk about how it's his favorite dish on their menu :rotfl: You could tell he was like, waiting with bated breath for T to respond positively so he could gush over it too. Suffice to say, I had a few bites and it really was excellent. T practically inhaled it all. Highly recommended if you visit.

And so concludes our pre-flight lunch at Maria & Enzo's! I believe the bill was around $60ish with tax and tip, and there wasn't a Tables in Wonderland discount at the time. Lunch overall was so pleasant, calm, and relaxing -- a nice experience to say farewell to Disney, at least until we returned in June.

~~~~~~~~~~

That concludes this dining report, and I am going to skip over any "best of" categories for this round. I just didn't feel like we did enough ~exciting~ dining for it to matter...

...but more importantly, I am going to be back in WDW in two days for Food & Wine Festival! :hyper: I will be solo this time, which is almost tradition now -- I went this exact same time last year, solo, just for Food & Wine, but during the week instead of on a weekend. (It was during Hurricane Irma, remember her?) I don't have any TS dining on the agenda, so we'll see if there's anything worthy of a dining report once I'm back :bitelip:

Thank you for reading and chatting along the way. :goodvibes And if anyone else is headed to WDW this weekend, I always wear a big black sunhat in the parks: please feel free to say hi! :mickeybar

Woohoo! You’re able to go to F&W!! That’s awesome! I will be there Sunday and will keep an eye out for the hat! Congrats on your move and new job as well! Great wrap-up. I haven’t heard much about Maria and Enzo’s. That chicken parm looks enormous. I may have to check it out. I swear I need to spend a whole week just in Disney Springs to try everything I want to! Have a great trip. I’d love to hear about your F&W faves!

So this was definitely ugly delicious, but delicious. Our waiter played it cool, asking T how he liked it, and when T replied with how great it was, he went into total fanboy mode! He was super enthusiastic and ready to talk about how it's his favorite dish on their menu :rotfl: You could tell he was like, waiting with bated breath for T to respond positively so he could gush over it too.

That is so adorable.

I enjoyed your review of Maria & Enzo's, thinking about trying their Sunday brunch if it's still happening in the spring. Looking forward to your F&W reviews!

Woohoo! You’re able to go to F&W!! That’s awesome! I will be there Sunday and will keep an eye out for the hat! Congrats on your move and new job as well! Great wrap-up. I haven’t heard much about Maria and Enzo’s. That chicken parm looks enormous. I may have to check it out. I swear I need to spend a whole week just in Disney Springs to try everything I want to! Have a great trip. I’d love to hear about your F&W faves!
And hat will keep an eye out for you! :laughing: That is totally how I feel about Disney Springs, too. There are so many places and not nearly enough time!

Fun reviews, thanks for sharing! Have fun at F&W. I'm jealous! :)
I'll snack around the world in your honor :goodvibes Thank you for reading!

That is so adorable.
:lovestruc Love when they actually enjoy the food they serve.

I enjoyed your review of Maria & Enzo's, thinking about trying their Sunday brunch if it's still happening in the spring. Looking forward to your F&W reviews!
:) I would love to see your review of their brunch if it happens -- I don't think I've seen any yet besides maybe some on Yelp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter