• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

lens for the XT

goofymom/pop

<font color=deeppink>oh where oh where can the tag
Ok so I have a 18-200mm Tamron lens...and hubby bought me a 28-300mm Tamron for xmas.....would I be better off with say a less expensive 75 to 300 lens.....since it seems that the two I have right now overlap each other quite a bit? Its all so confusing when you are new to SLR's. I could also sell the original lens (6months old) and buy a wide angle close up instead. What would you experts recommend.

Although I don't have personal experience with either of these lenses, I would stick with the 18-200 which should be a great all around lens. There is definately too much over lap between that and the 28-300. Unless you are doing alot of wildlife photography 200mm on a dslr with a 1.6 conversion factor should be plenty long enough. And 28mm at the same conversion is not a good focal length unless you are well away from your subject (not indoors). Not to mention that the larger the difference in focal length the more sacrifices are usually made to optic quality. If you need 300mm I would look at a 75-300 which vary in quality mostly tied to price, or the Canon 70-300IS which is an awesome lens but not cheap. Or I would look at a good low light lens like Canon's 50mm f/1.8 or the more expensive 1.4 which are great portrait lenses. The 1.8 can be had for less than $80 and is extremely sharp. Or I would get a wider angle lens to compensate for the 1.6 conversion factor although they can be quite expensive.

thanks..that was what I was thinking. Go for the 75-300 for baseball games and such and keep the one I have for closer up and everyday stuff.

I recommend a couple of lens review sites:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

and http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

There are serious questions about the qualityof the canon 75-300 zoom on several photo forums. I was going to get the 70-200L but ended up with the 70-300 IS. The Image Stabilizer is incredible. If you're going for sports photography, I'd recommend this one over the other 2. It is pricey, but I'm learning you get what you pay for. I'm loving my XT - I'm new to it as well.

Dirk

I have both the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 75-300 IS. Although the picture quality on the L lens is much better than the non-L lens, I don't think (for everyday use) the L warranted its price (200% more than the regular lens).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter