Lens suggestions?

CarrieR

DIS Veteran
I keep trying to research but I’m getting all balled up... hoping the fine folks on the photography forum might have some suggestions. I’m looking for a wide, fast, not-too-heavy lens that won’t break the bank. I have a Nikon D3300; most of my shooting is done on the kit lens in the 18-20 range, not often longer than 24. I rented a Sigma 1.4/18-35 which I expected to love, but it was just way heavier/bigger than I expected. I really want something better in low light conditions.

Am I asking for a unicorn? If I’m willing to stretch the budget to get the right lens, would that change suggestions? If so, I might try renting the unicorn for my upcoming trip to make sure I like it (before saving up to buy it.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

Fast zooms are almost always heavy. If you want lighter you will want to look for a prime.

Thanks! Good reminder that I have so much to learn. I’d definitely be open to a prime - more often than not I leave the kit lens at 18 and shoot that way.

I keep trying to research but I’m getting all balled up... hoping the fine folks on the photography forum might have some suggestions. I’m looking for a wide, fast, not-too-heavy lens that won’t break the bank. I have a Nikon D3300; most of my shooting is done on the kit lens in the 18-20 range, not often longer than 24. I rented a Sigma 1.4/18-35 which I expected to love, but it was just way heavier/bigger than I expected. I really want something better in low light conditions.

Am I asking for a unicorn? If I’m willing to stretch the budget to get the right lens, would that change suggestions? If so, I might try renting the unicorn for my upcoming trip to make sure I like it (before saving up to buy it.)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

if you think the sigma 18-35 is "way too heavy and big" then it's time for mirrorless and "pancake" prime lens
the "unicorn" is real !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Lol! I appreciate your input. A new body is not in the future anytime soon - I don’t mind the weight of the D3300 at all, or the kit lens or my old AI-S lens (I think 35mm 1.4). But the Sigma weighed a ton more than I expected - maybe it’s my naïveté shining through?

I don't think you're being naive. Just a tough consumer. Face it, you want fast glass. But almost all OEMs only consider this type of lens to be in their upper tier of offerings. Minus a couple of exceptions, you just won't find cheap units with a max aperture of 1.4. To get that kind of light through the lens take more engineering and, many times, more glass. Ego, more weight and more cost. If you can afford to lose a stop, there are several 2.8 models out there that won't break the bank.

You can try the Nikon 35/1.8 DX if you’re happy with that focal length.
You probably need a prime, regardless.
Zooms by necessity are compromise — abs need to be heavier and/or slower. The 18-35 is very heavy because it’s the only way to make a zoom that fast.
A prime can be fast and fairly lightweight.

Thanks! I was initially looking at it and then decided the 35 was longer than I wanted. But honestly, the price is so reasonable I think I’ll just go for it. Looks like they’re going on eBay for almost what I would pay, so worst case, I can sell it.

And KVH, thanks. I think the fast is more important than wide to me... but we’ll see how it goes.

Down the line when you're looking to go wider, the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is a really great lens. I liked it so much I kept it to use on my full frame even though it only works at 16 on it. I use it as a 16mm prime.

Maybe consider a used model?
I would be wary of the usual on-line bidding sites but a 'reputable dealer' can offer substantial discount on an older model and still offer a warranty/guarantee on your purchase.
Sigma 10-20, Tamron 10-24, Tokina 11-16 (only on offering f2.8) or even a nikon af-p 10-24.

I have purchased a number of lenses from CEX - I know this particular company are not available in the USA but there must be similar on-line shops that would offer a good deal. Always been very happy with these purchases and have only had to send one back for an issue - no quibble and a full refund given.

Milly

Just wanted to come back and share that I ended up with the 35/1.8. Although I didn’t set out to do this, I ended up shooting my whole trip with it and although I need to do some editing (I messed with the EV and tended towards underecposure), overall I am quite pleased. I’ve shown the raw images to a few people and had kind words in response - can definitely see a progression from my earlier trips. Thanks so much for the recommendations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter