Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

Just in case your local Disney Store is open, here's the selection available at my store. They had the park masks!

ETA: 1st pic is Large, 2nd pic is XL
Ohhh....Thanks for posting! Since malls just reopened, I might have to run up to our local Disney store to see if they have them!

My review on the ear saver things that go on glasses...

I don't love them yet. In order for my glasses to still fit on my face, I have to push the button things way forward, towards the lenses. But then that means my mask isn't tight to my face. That feels nice, but it defeats the purpose of wearing the mask in the first place. When I tighten the ear loops up so the mask fits tighter to my face, it squishes my nose down and also makes my glasses sit funny.

Then there's the mask removal. Because of the work of getting the mask tight to my face, I can't easily remove or lower my mask (to take a drink of water, for instance). When I tried (because I forgot), my glasses came off my face too. Also, I have long hair and my hair kept getting tangled in the button things.

I'm going to try again once I get the 3D plastic cage thing that I ordered. It goes against the face, under the mask, and gives the pleated mask structure so that it doesn't get sucked into your mouth. I'll try the ear savers with that, but I have a feeling I'll have 2 pairs of ear savers to send someone who wants to try them.

ETA - I did have to wear the thing for 4ish hours in 90+ degree heat today and that SUCKED. Not something I want to do on vacation, that's for sure!

Last edited:

My review on the ear saver things that go on glasses...

I don't love them yet. In order for my glasses to still fit on my face, I have to push the button things way forward, towards the lenses. But then that means my mask isn't tight to my face. That feels nice, but it defeats the purpose of wearing the mask in the first place. When I tighten the ear loops up so the mask fits tighter to my face, it squishes my nose down and also makes my glasses sit funny.

Then there's the mask removal. Because of the work of getting the mask tight to my face, I can't easily remove or lower my mask (to take a drink of water, for instance). When I tried (because I forgot), my glasses came off my face too. Also, I have long hair and my hair kept getting tangled in the button things.

I'm going to try again once I get the 3D plastic cage thing that I ordered. It goes against the face, under the mask, and gives the pleated mask structure so that it doesn't get sucked into your mouth. I'll try the ear savers with that, but I have a feeling I'll have 2 pairs of ear savers to send someone who wants to try them.

ETA - I did have to wear the thing for 4ish hours in 90+ degree heat today and that SUCKED. Not something I want to do on vacation, that's for sure!
I think how well the ear savers work really depends on: how thin/thick the arms of your glasses are, how thin/thick the ear loops on your mask are, how tight/loose your ear loops are, etc. I ordered the small Mickey & Minnie heads and the larger Tsum Tsum stacked heads. The small ear savers work fine placed right at the point on my glasses where my ears start (does that make sense?) -- just at the place where the ear flap begins. The arms on my glasses are normal width/sort of thin. For rectangular, pleated masks (e.g. Old Navy, paper disposables), I do the "60 Second Hack" (This Dentist’s 60-Second Hack to Make Your Face Mask Fit Better Is Going Viral) to make them fit better (totally works!), and that tightens the mask to my face and tightens the length of the ear loops, too. Then I don't have extra ear loop to mess with on the ear saver. Just loop it over -- done! For my Disney masks, I discovered that the "60 Second Hack" works, too -- with a little adjustment because the ear loops are so thick -- because the L is a bit too big. Once the mask and ear loops are adjusted for my face, the loops fit over the larger ear savers. But I have to make sure that the knots are in the "right" place -- different spot for Disney masks vs. Old Navy. I haven't tried wearing the ear savers for long periods (e.g. all day outings) yet. Will report back if that makes a difference.

I think how well the ear savers work really depends on: how thin/thick the arms of your glasses are, how thin/thick the ear loops on your mask are, how tight/loose your ear loops are, etc. I ordered the small Mickey & Minnie heads and the larger Tsum Tsum stacked heads. The small ear savers work fine place right at the point on my glasses where my ears start (does that make sense?) -- just at the placed where the ear flap begins. The arms on my glasses are normal width/sort of thin. For rectangular, pleated masks (e.g. Old Navy, paper disposables), I do the "60 Second Hack" (This Dentist’s 60-Second Hack to Make Your Face Mask Fit Better Is Going Viral) to make them fit better (totally works!), and that tightens the mask to my face and tightens the length of the ear loops, too. Then I don't have extra ear loop to mess with on the ear saver. Just loop it over -- done! For my Disney masks, I discovered that the "60 Second Hack" works, too -- with a little adjustment because the ear loops are so thick -- because the L is a bit too big. Once the mask and ear loops are adjusted for my face, the loops fit over the larger ear savers. But I have to make sure that the knots are in the "right" place -- different spot for Disney masks vs. Old Navy. I haven't tried wearing the ear savers for long periods (e.g. all day outings) yet. Will report back if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I need to mess with it some more. Because my pleated masks were made for me, they fit me really well when I wear them the "normal" way, so I was hesitant to start tying knots. Now that I've tried them for a while "out in the wild", I need to spend some time messing with them when I'm home. With the ear savers, they were SO loose, I don't think even the 60 second hack could save it! That likely has to do with where I had to put the ear savers on the arm of my glasses in order for it all to feel comfortable.

Yeah, I need to mess with it some more. Because my pleated masks were made for me, they fit me really well when I wear them the "normal" way, so I was hesitant to start tying knots. Now that I've tried them for a while "out in the wild", I need to spend some time messing with them when I'm home. With the ear savers, they were SO loose, I don't think even the 60 second hack could save it! That likely has to do with where I had to put the ear savers on the arm of my glasses in order for it all to feel comfortable.
Yes, I find the whole mask thing to be a total "work in progress" that depends on the style of mask and the task at hand! Things are getting better as I get more experience with my masks and tasks, but there sure isn't one textbook way for everyone!

I am having trouble finding a mask that I like. I wear gaiters but know that's not going to cut it when we head to DL when it reopens. I've had people make them for me, bought them at various stores, bought BaubleBar masks after they can highly recommend by a friend, and Target. So far the Target ones are ok with the exception of their ear things. I don't want to use ear savers though because they pull the mask so tight on your face. Are there any truly breathable masks, with soft ear loft loops, an adjustable nose, preferably two layers? I wish I could sew and had a ton of time to experiment. On the other had my 7 yo just wears what I give her and never complains. I really want to be more like her!

I am having trouble finding a mask that I like. I wear gaiters but know that's not going to cut it when we head to DL when it reopens. I've had people make them for me, bought them at various stores, bought BaubleBar masks after they can highly recommend by a friend, and Target. So far the Target ones are ok with the exception of their ear things. I don't want to use ear savers though because they pull the mask so tight on your face. Are there any truly breathable masks, with soft ear loft loops, an adjustable nose, preferably two layers? I wish I could sew and had a ton of time to experiment. On the other had my 7 yo just wears what I give her and never complains. I really want to be more like her!
Have you tried the disposable surgical masks? So far, those seem the most breathable. I've worn them outside in the heat at DTD, at the beach, getting my hair done, etc. Never had an issue breathing.

Alright so far, my favorite masks are the disposable surgical masks and the Disney ones. The surgical mask is the most breathable in the heat and outdoors. I wore one hiking too! No problems! Downside with the surgical masks is that if I do a lot of talking with it on, it makes my throat sort of scratchy. That doesn't happen with the reusable ones. Not sure if its the synthetic material in the disposable ones that cause that.

I like the Disney ones because they are also breathable but fit my face well. Also when breathe the material doesn't suck into my mouth. I have a cloth one from Anthropologie and it sucks into my mouth when I breathe. I made the mistake once and wore it to the mall, and was literally just inhaling the material in my mouth the whole time. Not fun! Thankfully one of the stores had complimentary masks so I took one and wore it.

Fun Side note: Whenever I am wearing one of my Disney masks, I get tons of compliments! Especially the red and black Minnie one.

I don't want to use ear savers though because they pull the mask so tight on your face.
So, you actually WANT the mask edges to be tight against your face because that’s what makes masks effective. What you need is a mask that has structure to keep the center off your mouth while the sides are tightly against your face (which ear savers can be great for, or else “around the head” elastic). Think of how an n95 is actually shaped - you want to model after that (some people are fine with the k95 “knock-offs”).

There are several cloth styles with a “3D” construction that keeps the cloth off your face (you can hit Etsy and search for 3D masks). There’s the flat front with top stitching (which is what I’ve been making), but there’s also one that makes a cone-shaped mask, basically, that has a center pleat at the top and bottom. I know some people who like those.

So, you actually WANT the mask edges to be tight against your face because that’s what makes masks effective. What you need is a mask that has structure to keep the center off your mouth while the sides are tightly against your face (which ear savers can be great for, or else “around the head” elastic). Think of how an n95 is actually shaped - you want to model after that (some people are fine with the k95 “knock-offs”).

There are several cloth styles with a “3D” construction that keeps the cloth off your face (you can hit Etsy and search for 3D masks). There’s the flat front with top stitching (which is what I’ve been making), but there’s also one that makes a cone-shaped mask, basically, that has a center pleat at the top and bottom. I know some people who like those.

Yes. I need to find a good 3d mask then. Do you know of any good ones?

Heh, well I’m partial to the ones I make, but if you search “3D mask” on Etsy, you’ll see the two styles like in the picture I’m adding. That top, left one I circled is the one I haven’t tried but have heard others like.

The ones I circled underneath it are basically the same as the ones I pointed an arrow to, they’re just folded in half there. So maybe try ordering one of each style? I definitely prefer nose wires, for what it’s worth.

0530710C-F314-4CD2-8E7F-F38833249317.jpeg

I hope you can find something you like!

Heh, well I’m partial to the ones I make, but if you search “3D mask” on Etsy, you’ll see the two styles like in the picture I’m adding. That top, left one I circled is the one I haven’t tried but have heard others like.

The ones I circled underneath it are basically the same as the ones I pointed an arrow to, they’re just folded in half there. So maybe try ordering one of each style? I definitely prefer nose wires, for what it’s worth.

View attachment 523854

I hope you can find something you like!

Thank you so much. Do you have a pattern you could share for yours? My mom is a seasoned seamstress. I can see if she'll make me some.

The masks recs below came up earlier in this thread:

For better quality disposables, this one (the adult version) was recommended by the Today Show -- they use these on the job.
Nano Air kids masks are now ready for pre-order:
https://nanoairmask.com

And this 3D mask was recommended, too.
I bought a mask from Etsy that I really like. It has a big "face box" which makes it easier to breathe. You're not sucking the mask up against your mouth when you speak. It has a sturdy nose wire that works to keep my glasses from being fogged. I wore it for hours at our primary election on Tuesday.

It is pricey, but I wanted something I could wear and talk to people all day.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/832134665/the-adjustable-breathable-mask-is-easy?

Mask wearing update: Ok I went to DTD in the cloth mask and it was a little hot. In the shaded areas it was fine though. So the winner for me is still the disposable masks when it comes to the heat

Mask wearing update: Ok I went to DTD in the cloth mask and it was a little hot. In the shaded areas it was fine though. So the winner for me is still the disposable masks when it comes to the heat
Thank you for the update. I was hoping people would report back this weekend, which is going to be a real test of mask comfort and wearability.

Update on the Uniqlo and Vera Bradley masks:
Spent the afternoon by the beach today. The weather was in the 90-100's, with some breeze. It was very hot -- so a good test for masks. DH wore the Uniqlo mask and I wore the Vera Bradley. DH's review: Uniqlo mask is very comfortable, easy to wear, lightweight. He would like a nose wire, so I'll attach some myself. Basically, two thumbs up (especially once the nose wire goes in). My mask was very comfortable, lightweight, and was easy to breathe in, even with a filter in the pocket. (Uniqlo masks have the filter built in.) The mask was a bit large for my face, so I adjusted it with the 60-second hack, which helped a lot. Both masks worked quite well in the blazing heat. but we did have mask breaks, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter