Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been reading the many posts about overcrowded pools, how difficult it is to get into Trader Sam's and the crowded restaurants and lobby, the challenges with actually getting on the monorail in a timely fashion, and the concerns over the "day trippers" who come to the resort. In pondering these issues and concerns, what's the attraction of owning here?

I've been reading the many posts about overcrowded pools, how difficult it is to get into Trader Sam's and the crowded restaurants and lobby, the challenges with actually getting on the monorail in a timely fashion, and the concerns over the "day trippers" who come to the resort. In pondering these issues and concerns, what's the attraction of owning here?
For some it's nostalgia as was already mentioned. Many were kids when they either stayed or visited way back when it was calmer and the lobby had the big waterfall.

I don't remember it being the circus that it is now.

For some it's nostalgia as was already mentioned. Many were kids when they either stayed or visited way back when it was calmer and the lobby had the big waterfall.

I don't remember it being the circus that it is now.
The nostalgia piece makes sense; thanks for pointing that out. I've learned to filter while reading these boards, but I see some consistent themes that don't paint the best picture of the Poly. We stayed there for a few nights last year, and it was indeed a circus. To each their own, that's the beauty of DVC.

The great thematic pools, the exclusivity and uniqueness of Trader Sam’s (for WDW), good restaurants, beautiful lobby, great monorail/walking access for TTC and MK, big studios with 2 showers, dole whip, the best location to watch fireworks outside of MK, and just the overall vibes of the resort. Everything that’s been mentioned as a problem can also be seen as a positive. You give people enough time to ponder something and every great thing a place has to offer can start looking problematic. The recent concerns have also made me question why I love the Poly so much and, not to say people’s concerns aren’t legitimate in some capacity but, in all honesty, these issues are only issues some of the time and while the unknown should raise some question for sure, I do think we’re over thinking the Poly now.

Every time I’ve been has been a different (and wonderful) experience with a slight issue here and there but I’ve never experienced all these problems simultaneously during a single stay, ever. My overall take away after every Poly stay is I love this place so much and I can’t wait to be back and I gotta remember that in spaces like this, where we can sometimes overanalyze something to death. Don’t get me wrong, I love the conversations and debate here but I have to remember to take it all with a big grain of salt, especially when it starts warping my own memories and experiences.

Most resorts have some issue or another and I think the moral of the story is DVC is giving us waaay to much time to overthink this place and talk ourselves out of a very expensive purchase so they better nip the speculation in the bud and start giving us some actual information cause my overactive mind can do damage lol

The great thematic pools, the exclusivity and uniqueness of Trader Sam’s (for WDW), good restaurants, beautiful lobby, great monorail/walking access for TTC and MK, big studios with 2 showers, dole whip, the best location to watch fireworks outside of MK, and just the overall vibes of the resort. Everything that’s been mentioned as a problem can also be seen as a positive. You give people enough time to ponder something and every great thing a place has to offer can start looking problematic. The recent concerns have also made me question why I love the Poly so much and, not to say people’s concerns aren’t legitimate in some capacity but, in all honesty, these issues are only issues some of the time and while the unknown should raise some question for sure, I do think we’re over thinking the Poly now.

Every time I’ve been has been a different (and wonderful) experience with a slight issue here and there but I’ve never experienced all these problems simultaneously during a single stay, ever. My overall take away after every Poly stay is I love this place so much and I can’t wait to be back and I gotta remember that in spaces like this, where we can sometimes overanalyze something to death. Don’t get me wrong, I love the conversations and debate here but I have to remember to take it all with a big grain of salt, especially when it starts warping my own memories and experiences.

Most resorts have some issue or another and I think the moral of the story is DVC is giving us waaay to much time to overthink this place and talk ourselves out of a very expensive purchase so they better nip the speculation in the bud and start giving us some actual information cause my overactive mind can do damage lol
All of this!

We love and own at Poly. Lake View studio is my favorite room on property.

However the ratio of people to amenities is way out of balance and (potentially) trending worse with the new tower. I never have trouble enjoying the amenities at literally every other DVC resort.

Because its not really that bad...We've stayed twice and visited many times and never had an issue. (yes trader sams is busy but it only holds 50 people.)

I think most of us love the Poly, it's just the advantage of being a guest there has taken some hits over the years.

I recognize that I am part of the problem. I am staying at the Swan Reserve in a few weeks and planning a long break from a Magic Kingdom day at the Poly. Not the pool, but Tambu lounge for lunch and a dole whip to soak in the ambiance, maybe an early drink at Trader Sam's. Then back to the park for fireworks.

Now, if Disney gave Poly guests priority at their venues, maybe I would stay there again.

So, Fort Wilderness has always been my memory lane resort. Trips with my girls when they were little. But we bought AKL and then Poly in order to have guaranteed place to stay during the marathon. So, with that, Poly is my youngest daughter's memory lane resort. She thinks the coconut meat balls at Captain Cooks are the best thing ever (she is 20 now). I offered to stay somewhere with more space for her 21st birthday (yes, drinking around the world), and she said, nope. The Poly is my favorite. We don't do the pool so much. We love the electrical water parade and fireworks. We love the walk to the TTC for Epcot. We love the easy parking so we can drive everywhere but MK. She and DH are not spend all day at the parks kind of people, so it lets them come and go very easily. And, it is super easy with a service dog (not a tower which would be such a pain). Walking from the car to the room just feels peaceful.

It is very easy to get away from a vacation and sit behind a screen and think about the negative. It's also easy for me to get just a little bit jealous or think about how I might have made the "wrong" decision when there are so many people pointing out the problems. But we all come back. And so many of us keep investing in this thing we love. It really is a YMMV kind of thing.

With that said, the tower terrifies me. I bought what I bought, and I really want to keep it. Fingers crossed it relieves pressure instead of making it hard for me to book what I bought. . .

Besides having my favorite overall vibe and best fireworks viewing on the entire monorail loop, the location is also the best location by a long-shot for direct monorail access to two parks via a short walk to the TTC.

People perceive it as busy and crowded because it's the place where people want to be. It's got a lot going for it. Social Media is probably partially to blame for its relative popularity compared to how it was decades ago, but you can only keep a place like that under wraps for so long.

This year I’ve stayed twice, a total of 11 nights at poly standard view. Never previously. I was able to get chairs at the pool each time I wanted, but I definitely saw some disappointed people throughout the day that weren’t able to. I really enjoyed the resort amenities, walk to ttc, and monorail overall. In Tokelau you have a bartender within a 100’ walk from your building 😂 definitely a perk not mentioned. I think if you’re uninformed about things such as ordering early for mobile orders, you might have some difficulty there. I didn’t attempt rope drops or Trader Sam’s. They absolutely need wrist bands for pool guests. I’d like to think I’d skip it at 7 months until we see how it goes, but not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter