Let's talk Disneybounding...

I also think that people do it to provide a fun little "Easter egg" type smile for other Disney folk. It's fun to feel like you're in on a little inside joke with other park goers.
It totally is! I love when someone points out that they can tell which character I'm "bounding"!

I have a question... When does an outfit cross the line from disneybounding into wearing a costume? Last time we were in WDW we saw a few outfits which were very close to it and one Mom was most definitely way over it - she was dressed in a Wendy costume complete with ringlets in her ponytail and her baby was dressed as Peter Pan (in February, so they were not just a few hours early for MNSSHP!) The only thing that distinguished her from the real deal was that real Wendy doesn’t pusha stroller and carry kids around with her!
If an outfit is even coming *close* to being confused for the actual character then it's NOT DisneyBounding. Disneybounding is using colors and themed accessories to *evoke* the idea of the character (or land) you want to represent.... not try to look like the character. If you google "disney bounding" and look at pix, you will get the idea.

If an outfit is even coming *close* to being confused for the actual character then it's NOT DisneyBounding. Disneybounding is using colors and themed accessories to *evoke* the idea of the character (or land) you want to represent.... not try to look like the character. If you google "disney bounding" and look at pix, you will get the idea.
Thanks. I understand the premise. I was more commenting that sometimes people think they are “disneybounding” when in fact they appear to be “dressing up”...

I have a question... When does an outfit cross the line from disneybounding into wearing a costume?...
If an outfit is even coming *close* to being confused for the actual character then it's NOT DisneyBounding...
I think people can get confused on the concept of Disney Bounding and take it into the area of Cosplay without realizing it. The video above does a really good job of explaining the difference for those who still aren't quite sure. Where the concepts get blurred are at Halloween Parties or D23 Expo or Dapper Days, when people are allowed to push the boundaries a little further than normal because of the special events themselves.

I think people can get confused on the concept of Disney Bounding and take it into the area of Cosplay without realizing it. The video above does a really good job of explaining the difference for those who still aren't quite sure. Where the concepts get blurred are at Halloween Parties or D23 Expo or Dapper Days, when people are allowed to push the boundaries a little further than normal because of the special events themselves.
Wow. People must be getting confused otherwise why else would there be a need to make a video on it.

Wow. People must be getting confused otherwise why else would there be a need to make a video on it.
There can be a surprising amount of confusion. We've had people post photos of their amazing "Disney Bound" outfits which were totally Cosplay -- detailed copies of Disney costumes -- and it was clear that the posters did not know the difference. And, sadly, we've seen guests turned away at bag check because they were wearing over the top Cosplay outfits/full on costumes on non-Halloween Party days, insisting that they be allowed into the parks because they were "only Disney Bounding!" For one group (beautiful NBC outfits that would have been great at any Con), security had to be called because the group was causing quite a scene.

Last edited:

I did my Tiana Disney bounding on spring Dapper Day so I dressed it up a bit with the headband

Great video, @theluckyrabbit ! Thanks for sharing that!

I think some people, in their excitement, fail to realize that it takes just as much creativity to put together a well-done Disney Bound outfit as it does to put together an elaborate cosplay outfit. But it's a different kind of creativity. One big difference is that Disney Bound is about subtlety while cosplay is more about the "Wow!" And I think that's where some Disney Bounders lose their way -- they go for "Wow!" when they should be focused on subtlety.

Great video, @theluckyrabbit ! Thanks for sharing that!

I think some people, in their excitement, fail to realize that it takes just as much creativity to put together a well-done Disney Bound outfit as it does to put together an elaborate cosplay outfit. But it's a different kind of creativity. One big difference is that Disney Bound is about subtlety while cosplay is more about the "Wow!" And I think that's where some Disney Bounders lose their way -- they go for "Wow!" when they should be focused on subtlety.
THIS! totally 100% agree! Well said!!

We love to Disneybound. DD usually does full costumes, multiple changes per day to match the planned rides, dines, or M&Gs. I’ll often bound to match her. 462574
Out Inside Out bound was super simple and fun! This was the only one DH ever participated in.

Awesome! We will be Disney bounding our trip in April. DH suggested genderbending... he's going to be Rey and I'm going to be Kylo Ren. I just have a black cotton dress and black light-weight flowy vest (instead of a cape). Red big belt and some red and black jewelry (like a big choker) and black sandals and I'm set.
We're also Disneybounding for dapper day; he (tall, skinny) will be R2D2 (he has R2D2 pants and blue suspenders... add a blue bow tie and white shirt and he is set. As for me (short, chubby), my yellow dress with black belt (to which I'll add red and blue) will work for C3PO.

I have had a ridiculously good time planning our outfits. Now to plan the coordinating ears!

We're bounding on our honeymoon trip. It's easier than picking and packing a costume for the Halloween party. We're going to bound on the party day we attend so we can still feel like we dressed for something special. Without having to change.
I'm going as Rapunzel, I have a purple dress with a corset like tie in the front, earrings and a necklace with the Corona sun on it. A pascal pin and a lantern pin. And I grabbed the Flynn satchel from Her Universe to use as a purse. And my sneakers are purple with floating lanterns on them. My fiance will be Flynn, he's got khakis, a shirt, a blue vest, and a thigh bag. Things are too easy for him. He's also going to be wearing a frying pan pin. I feel we'll evoke our characters without looking like we're trying to copy them. I'm pretty excited. It's our first time bounding.

We're bounding on our honeymoon trip. It's easier than picking and packing a costume for the Halloween party. We're going to bound on the party day we attend so we can still feel like we dressed for something special. Without having to change.
I'm going as Rapunzel, I have a purple dress with a corset like tie in the front, earrings and a necklace with the Corona sun on it. A pascal pin and a lantern pin. And I grabbed the Flynn satchel from Her Universe to use as a purse. And my sneakers are purple with floating lanterns on them. My fiance will be Flynn, he's got khakis, a shirt, a blue vest, and a thigh bag. Things are too easy for him. He's also going to be wearing a frying pan pin. I feel we'll evoke our characters without looking like we're trying to copy them. I'm pretty excited. It's our first time bounding.

That sounds awesome! Perfect disneybound plan I think! :-)

I love this thread! My two daughters (14 and 9) want to Disneybound for our upcoming visit to the MK on Easter Sunday. After reading through this thread, I'm thinking that I might try to convince DH to put together secret DB outfits with me, and then surprise the girls that day! I found a couple of short sleeved black shirts with thin white vertical stripes. With a pair of black shorts, that's an easy Jack Skellington (his favorite). Or maybe if he doesn't do it, I'll get the stripes and wear with black capri leggings!

Working on my Disbounding outfit for March trip right now. Going as Jasmine can't wait to pull it all together. Trying to see if my daughter and her Bestie want to do one of the March challenges while we are there.

Last edited:
I may have created a monster. Not only are we disneybounding twice during our April trip (including one for Dapper Day), we are thinking of going again in November. (Those Flex AP s are tempting.) Come home the other day to find out DH had already planned his outfit for disneybounding in November... for the trip we are not 100% sure we are going on yet...

And he didn't give too much thought to how to make it a couple costume either. Hahahaha

Not //exactly// a disneybound, given I'm hand embroidering the skirt as accurately as possible, but with a simple white blouse I am pretty sure I'll still be ok to wear it in the parks. The blue lace is much more blue in real life! Let the insanity begin...!

I find it confusing. I'm not about subtle, so it's hard for me not to get too intricate and precise. It annoys me when I can't tell what people are DBing as. But...I've managed a middle ground, I think. One year for Dapper Day, my friends and I Disneybounded to represent Club 33. Now, mine lacked subtlety so was sort of a fail in that regard. I had a gold dress that I appliqued with blue flowers (the gates at 33), diamond chandelier earrings (club chandelier), a necklace I made that had a '33' (pic downloaded from computer and glued into a glass-covered pendant), and I also glued a tiny vulture onto my fascinator that was in colors of gold and blue. I've seen groups dressed up as Disneyland trash cans, which I thought was super clever (they're all different, I believe). My friends and I have discussed representing carousel horses, tea cups, and Pixar ball but we've yet to try those. We did DB as Mary Poppins once. We all wore white with red accessories and tiny little white lace clip on Victorian hats with red bows that I made. As I said, it's hard for me not to go costume-y. I apologize to DB purists for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!