Lie Flat/Business Class Airline Recommendations?

Hoping Air Canada is a good experience. We have ours in March from Montreal to Rome.

I can vouch for business class overseas on Air Canada. I've flown many, many times in their pods (we are super elite / 1MM flyers with them) and the experience is excellent. A note: after dinner and before breakfast they put a few baskets of snack items in the galley area by the restrooms. You can get fruit, chocolate bars, chips, etc. and take back to your seat. Not many people know this. Sometimes people raid the baskets, but more often than not there are still plenty of snacks left when they remove them before breakfast service. It may not be the *nicest* business class in the world, but it most certainly isn't the worst. We quite enjoy it and I would recommend them without hesitation.

@sayhello is correct about Air Canada Rouge. Avoid it like the plague. Especially economy class. We go out of our way to avoid flying AC Rouge. Even the business class (they were forced to change it to 'premium economy' because it is not truly business class) is pretty bad (cramped seats, not much room in the overhead bins, lousy service, etc.). I will always say these things with the caveat that I am almost 6' tall and I would be miserable crammed into economy on Rouge (I just won't do it). I haven't met anyone who likes the Rouge product.

One airline that surprised me was Vienna Airlines last summer. They had a CHEF in the business / first class section that took our orders. Then after dinner they came around with a full menu of coffee selections (which was AMAZING -- seriously). The seats weren't the most comfortable, but the excellent service more than made up for it.

For anyone wanting information on specific seating configurations, I use seatguru regularly to research planes / seat maps. I always use this website to review seats before I book my seats.

I'm flying Air Canada to Iceland, through Toronto. (I'm flying them to Montreal in February, also.) As long as you're not doing Air Canada Rouge, I think you should be OK. What class are you flying?

Sayhello

Not Rouge. Does that fly overseas? Kate and I are in business. That was the best deal flying over with points. United Polaris going back.

I can vouch for business class overseas on Air Canada. I've flown many, many times in their pods (we are super elite / 1MM flyers with them) and the experience is excellent. A note: after dinner and before breakfast they put a few baskets of snack items in the galley area by the restrooms. You can get fruit, chocolate bars, chips, etc. and take back to your seat. Not many people know this. Sometimes people raid the baskets, but more often than not there are still plenty of snacks left when they remove them before breakfast service. It may not be the *nicest* business class in the world, but it most certainly isn't the worst. We quite enjoy it and I would recommend them without hesitation.

@sayhello is correct about Air Canada Rouge. Avoid it like the plague. Especially economy class. We go out of our way to avoid flying AC Rouge. Even the business class (they were forced to change it to 'premium economy' because it is not truly business class) is pretty bad (cramped seats, not much room in the overhead bins, lousy service, etc.). I will always say these things with the caveat that I am almost 6' tall and I would be miserable crammed into economy on Rouge (I just won't do it). I haven't met anyone who likes the Rouge product.

One airline that surprised me was Vienna Airlines last summer. They had a CHEF in the business / first class section that took our orders. Then after dinner they came around with a full menu of coffee selections (which was AMAZING -- seriously). The seats weren't the most comfortable, but the excellent service more than made up for it.

For anyone wanting information on specific seating configurations, I use seatguru regularly to research planes / seat maps. I always use this website to review seats before I book my seats.

Great to hear! Hey, what are the odds of getting snowed/iced in at Montreal Airport in March?

Last edited:

Not Rouge. Does that fly overseas? Kate and I are in business. That was the best deal flying over with points. United Polaris going back.
I believe they do from Canada, because I had a trip a while back that I really had to work to make sure my route didn't include AC Rouge.

Sayhello

Great to hear! Hey, what are the odds of getting snowed/iced in at Montreal Airport in March?

Early or late March? Montreal does get a fair amount of snow. However Air Canada is quite accustomed to flying out of Montreal in the snow. So I wouldn't give it too much thought. Just make sure you arrive in Montreal well in advance of your outbound flight, just in case you face a delay leaving your departure city due to snow in Montreal. We've flown to Montreal many, many times in both December and March (my dh is from Montreal) and we've never experience a delay either way.

Their Rouge flights to Europe and back are generally all economy class seats (like a charter plane). I call them flying school buses. I would never fly on one of them!

You will like Air Canada business class pods. I promise!

I believe they do from Canada, because I had a trip a while back that I really had to work to make sure my route didn't include AC Rouge.

Sayhello

Early or late March? Montreal does get a fair amount of snow. However Air Canada is quite accustomed to flying out of Montreal in the snow. So I wouldn't give it too much thought. Just make sure you arrive in Montreal well in advance of your outbound flight, just in case you face a delay leaving your departure city due to snow in Montreal. We've flown to Montreal many, many times in both December and March (my dh is from Montreal) and we've never experience a delay either way.

Their Rouge flights to Europe and back are generally all economy class seats (like a charter plane). I call them flying school buses. I would never fly on one of them!

You will like Air Canada business class pods. I promise!

OK you guys have convinced me to avoid Rouge flights at all cost. I'm not sure I've ever hear of them before. Sounds very regional.

Late March. We have a 6 hr layover in Montreal.

I have never flown business on an American airline. But I avoid them at all costs.

I will take an American Airline with a lie flat option over any airline without a lie flat option. Our trip last Thanksgiving had one sensible route to get to Iceland and that was on Delta. Every other option would have doubled the time to get there. I'm willing to spend a significant amount of more time in the air for an awesome flight experience in first like Singapore, Etihad or Emirates. But I'm not willing to do that when the difference in the hard and soft product is marginal.

We've flown Air Canada business class 3 times to Europe. We are 0-3 for seamless flights. Delays (as much as 24 hours on one trip - missed the whole first day), lost luggage with horrendous customer service, missed connections. The experience in the air in fine, but I'm a bit gun shy of using them. We usually fly thru Toronto, and in the summer.

We've flown Air Canada business class 3 times to Europe. We are 0-3 for seamless flights. Delays (as much as 24 hours on one trip - missed the whole first day), lost luggage with horrendous customer service, missed connections. The experience in the air in fine, but I'm a bit gun shy of using them. We usually fly thru Toronto, and in the summer.
:eek::eek::eek:

Sayhello

Ds's suitcase was lost coming home. At a month out, they told us we needed receipts for everything in it before we could get reimbursed. WTH? Who actually saves all that? So I went out and bought him another full set of clothes (the kid wears the same 10 sets of Nike shirts and shorts year round - and brought them on our 2 week vacation.) Two weeks later, his suitcase showed up on our doorstep, no word from AC, no acknowledgement. So, yes, we did get it back, but not until after I'd bought a fair bit of replacement clothes that were washed and worn by then.

Ds's suitcase was lost coming home. At a month out, they told us we needed receipts for everything in it before we could get reimbursed. WTH? Who actually saves all that? So I went out and bought him another full set of clothes (the kid wears the same 10 sets of Nike shirts and shorts year round - and brought them on our 2 week vacation.) Two weeks later, his suitcase showed up on our doorstep, no word from AC, no acknowledgement. So, yes, we did get it back, but not until after I'd bought a fair bit of replacement clothes that were washed and worn by then.

That is standard airline policy. I had my suitcase go missing from a Delta flight at Hartfield Jackson in Atlanta. We were headed to a riding competition so most of dd's expensive show clothes were in the bag along with all of my evening outfits, favorite jeans, shoes, etc. Before Delta would even look at my claim I had to produce receipts for absolutely everything I was claiming. A lot of the items I bought in department stores (Neiman Marcus, Saks) and others in places like James Perse (in SOHO) and boutiques on Toronto that were able to pull up my receipts by my name (and they also know me by name). I also was able to provide receipts from Sephora for my makeup (purchases are saved on your profile with them). A handbag was purchased at LV and 2 belts at Gucci, both able to provide me with receipts. It was a total PITA (some of the purchases went back a few years) but they eventually paid me up to the limit they were required to pay (times 2 as dd had her clothing / riding clothes in the suitcase as well). They were *AWFUL* to deal with; so much so that I haven't flown them since and that was 3 years ago. We had booked our tickets on our AmEx Platinum and they also provide lost baggage protection -- they were amazing to deal with. We had payment from them within a few weeks. Incidentally we never got our bag back. It was stolen off the luggage carousel (Delta told me it was my fault for using a brand new Tumi {they said expensive} suitcase). How is the lack of security at the airport my fault?

Those must have been anomalies. We've been flying Air Canada for over 20 years and I can only recall one major delay (i.e. more than an hour or two). I usually fly with them at least 15 round trip international flights a year; dh flies with them at least once per week, often times 3 round trip flights a week.

The one major delay we had was coming home from Sydney. We were late leaving Australia for some reason, so late arriving in Vancouver. We missed our connection to Toronto as a result. However as dd and I were disembarking the plane there was an AC attendant just outside of the bridge holding a sign with our names on it. We met with her and she handed us tickets for the next departing flight to Toronto (it was less than 1.5 hours from when we landed). To this day I don't know how we got so lucky because most people were stranded in the Vancouver airport for several hours. We were in business class so I'm sure that played a part. I know that we got the only 2 seats in business class on that Toronto flight (dd was really suffering from the long flight from Sydney so were very lucky to get those seats because I don't think she would've held up for a long delay sitting in the airport -- she was very fatigued and hadn't eaten anything in almost 20 hours but felt sick so she wouldn't eat).

So I'm here to chime in on Air Canada. I just flew them for a 3 1/2 day trip to Montreal for a wedding. Columbus to Toronto to Montreal. I knew Toronto was having some weather issues, so I kept a close watch on my flights, and downloaded the app to keep track of things. Everything was listed as "on time" on the website. About 3 hours before the flight, I got a notification from the app that my flight from Columbus to Toronto was delayed 2 hours. Not a huge deal, I was flying early afternoon the day before the wedding. No email notification OR text, even though I'd signed up for both. Good thing I had the app. But the BIG problem was, my flight from Toronto was listed as still "on time" (*all* of the flights going from Toronto to Montreal were listed as "on time". But my new arrival time in Toronto was 5:15pm, and the flight to Montreal left at 5:00pm. Their software or whoever made these decisions seemed to think that was OK. I tried multiple times to get through to Air Canada on the phone, but, understandably, the wait times were an hour to an hour and a half. So I left my number to be called back. Well, they never called back. I couldn't get anything done online. So I finally managed, through the app, to rebook the second leg of my flight to a different flight. They did have the option to do that for no charge because of the weather issues. But my flight is still listed as "on time", and I have no idea if any flight I choose will be delayed or cancelled. I pick a flight that gives me a 2-hour layover, and it makes me re-check into both legs, and pay for my seats again.

I get to the airport, and there's a group of people standing at the Air Canada desk, but no Air Canada employees. The flight was delayed, so they just left (there's not a lot of Air Canada flights out of Columbus). But the other folks there said their flight, at 6:00pm, had been CANCELLED. There were 12 of them, and only *one* of them had gotten notified. They were trying to get on the now 4pm flight. Another guy had been there since yesterday. The big board still listed my flight as "on time" at 2pm. Someone *finally* showed up and checked us in. We *sat* at the gate for ages, with no-one there, and *finally* got an update that the flight had been delayed in Toronto, and would be there eventually. We boarded 1/2 an hour later than our delayed time. Then sat on the tarmac for over 1/2 an hour, for a "mechanical issue", then a dose of de-icer. We got to Toronto (OMG, finally!) at 6:10pm. I still had to go through Customs in Toronto and get to a different Terminal for a 7pm flight. Right.

Fortunately, Customs in Toronto is very efficient, and I fly through. I walk forever to get to the other Terminal, only to find I'm being directed to a *bus* to the other Terminal! When I get to the other Terminal, I check the Board, and, miracles of miracles, *that* flight is delayed 1/2 an hour! Still no text or email from Air Canada. But at least I make my flight. It turns out, the 2 flights before mine and the 2 flights after mine were cancelled (There are hourly flights from Toronto to Montreal). So if I hadn't rebooked the flight myself, I never would have gotten on the flight in Toronto, and likely would have spent the night there. Sheer luck. Tons of folks were trying to get on my flight & couldn't. Flight leaves eventually, and hour and a half late.

I get to Montreal (I know, I'm grateful for that) but, unfortunately, my suitcase does not. Neither does a lot of folks' suitcases. It takes me *forever* to get through the line to report it. It's still in Toronto. At least they can tell me that much. They'll get it on a plane & get it to me in the morning. Here's a number, check it online, it will give you the status. The driver will call you before he delivers it, so be sure & answer the phone. I give them my cell phone number, and my sister's address and phone number, since I don't know the address of the friend's house where I'll be staying. Fortunately, I don't trust airlines as far as I can throw them, so the outfit for the wedding is in my carryon. But my snow boots, all my warm clothing, and my memory foam pillow that I can't sleep without, is in the suitcase.

So I arrive at my sister's at 11:10pm instead of 3:30 as planned. But I'm there. That's what counts.

Next morning, no sign of the suitcase. I call them, because I'm going to a wedding, and *nobody* will be at the house I'm staying at or my sister's house, because they're all going to the wedding. They confirm the suitcase is in Montreal, but don't know anything more than that. The driver will pick it up by 5pm and deliver it. I tell them no-one will be home, can they deliver it to the hall? Yes, sure! But if they change the address, it will be delivered tomorrow. But I won't be at the hall tomorrow! I finally give up, and spend the whole wedding with my phone in my hand (which is *so* not me!) because I know I'll never hear it ring during the reception. Hopefully someone can run me home to get the suitcase. Only I never get a call from them. I call from the bathroom, which is the only place I can hear the phone, stay on hold for close to half an hour, only to be told the exact same thing as before, the guy's going to pick it up, he'll call me "soon". Same thing at 10:00 (the deliveries stop at 11). No call, no suitcase.

The next morning, I call. Same story. Suitcase is somewhere in Montreal, they don't know where. They can't reach the airport, they can't reach the delivery company. Fortunately, brunch that morning is at my sister's. I'll be there if they deliver the suitcase. I call again from my sister's, no info. Finally, it's getting to be mid-afternoon, I call, same story. I ask to talk to a Supervisor. Same story. Same lies. Finally, my wonderful niece offers to drive me to the airport. The folks at the airport are wonderful. They tell me when they came in yesterday, there were 100 suitcases sitting off to the side. Nobody shows up until 11pm. The *one* guy picks up 40 suitcases, which is all he can fit in his van. They come back the next day, the rest of the suitcases are still sitting there. They call, the one guy shows up, and picks up another 40 at 1:30pm. They let me look through the remaining suitcases, mine is not there. (It's like 2:45 at that point). So they call the driver, he confirms he has my suitcase. He's downtown, but he'll deliver my suitcase next. I call the house to let them know it's on the way. It shows up 3:30 on the evening before I leave Montreal. But at least I get it.

Now, coming home was no problem. Weather was great. Flights left a bit late, but nothing that screws up my connections. I and my suitcase make it home. So in the end, I can't complain too loudly.

But what really pisses me off is the time wasted trying to find out what was going on. Each time I called, I was on hold for 1/2 an hour before they answered, and they'd place me back on hold each time to "research" what was going on. I wasted probably 7 to 8 hours of time with my family on the damned phone. And they lied to me. They didn't know anything, but they pretended they did. And I could not leave my phone for the whole time because I was afraid I'd miss the call. A really yucky experience that could have been avoided if they actually had some sort of contingency plan for bad weather.

I'm trying to decide the best way to handle this. I *definitely* expect a refund for having to re-pay for my seats because they couldn't be bothered to re-book the second leg of my flight for me. But I think I deserve *some* sort of compensation. And a credit for a future flight is *NOT* it!!

The topper? I'm flying them in August to Iceland, because they had the best schedule out of Columbus. And what happens? On the way home from Montreal, I get a message from my TA that Air Canada had changed the times on my flight to Iceland, and my nice 3.25 hour layover in Toronto has now been reduced to less than an hour and a half. I obviously don't trust Air Canada enough to leave it with that short a layover. The only other option is a 7.5 hour layover!! I hate the idea of 7.5 hours at the airport, but I hate the idea of missing my connection, too. If there was someway I could cancel that ticket and book elsewhere, I would!!!! So buyers beware! The flights themselves are just fine, but everything else around them is chaos if things don't go perfectly.

Sorry this is so long, but I had to get it out...

Sayhello

Last edited:
Those mentioning "Delta One" on this thread please also include the aircraft type. I've flown Delta One on several routes and the type of aircraft makes a big difference because the seats are different for each. As I said up-thread we like the A330-300 seats the best followed closely by the 777 seats, with the 767-x00 seats last. Haven't yet tried the 787 or A350.

Sayhello - what a nightmare experience for you and your luggage! At least you both made it home safely!

As far as a complaint to Air Canada, I'd write out a concise statement of what happened, including the flight numbers/dates and that there was a weather waiver in effect. (I'm surprised that you were charged since I always thought one of the features of being able to reschedule for a weather waiver with many airlines was the ability to rebook the flight at no additional cost, but I am not familiar with Air Canada's policies.)

If you had to buy anything to tide you over since your luggage was delayed, attach copies of the receipts. This is also where you may wish to include the cost of rebooking your seats. State that you would like to be refunded for these charges. If you have a frequent flyer number and/or status with AC, use that as well.

Good luck with it!!!

Sayhello, I'm sorry you had that experience, but I can't say I'm completely surprised. And I agree that the Toronto customs/immigration is streamlined entering Canada. It's a little crazier coming back to the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter