Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Review: Cyc Fitness
Taylor Swift Ride

My long run for Sunday was scheduled for 50 minutes, so I thought I might try doing another workout after my run. I had some ClassPass credits available, so I decided to browse and see what was available. I saw a Taylor Swift themed cycling class, and while I'm not the hugest of Swifties (is that the right term), I do like some T-Swift songs, so I figured it would be fun. So I signed up.
I actually thought I would eventually end up cancelling the reservation, but I never did.

Getting there was pretty easy, and it actually took less time than I expected. Cyc Upper East Side is located inside NYSC Labs (I have no idea what that means, honestly). I walked in, checked in at the NYSC front desk, signed a waiver, and then was told to go downstairs. Downstairs Cyc had their own front desk, so I signed in there, got my bike number, signed another waiver, and got a pair of shoes. I put my stuff in a locker, put on my shoes, refilled my water bottle, and waited for class.

Once the studio was ready, I went in and found my bike. I still don't know how to adjust these things, so I called over the instructor and she helped me get set up. I got myself clipped in and got ready to go. One thing that struck me about these bikes is that there was no measuring anything - I had found myself missing the screen from Flywheel.

Class started, and we went into various intervals - different resistances, different positions. There was definitely a lot more emphasis on core work than in my previous cycling class - we weren't just cycling, we were moving our torso as well. The music was good, but I mostly didn't find it super motivating, with one exception. During our last hard cycle before we moved on to weights, the instructor played "I Knew You Were Trouble." It was perfect. I was lip syncing (/screaming) along and it really helped me push myself. A++ music choice. Oh, and the instructor kept turning the lights (which were blacklights) on and off, which was actually kinda distracting to me. And I also wasn't in love with the fact that there were points where it was pitch black.

Towards the end of class we did some work with weights (where we could choose whether or not we wanted to cycle), and then we finished off with a little bit more cycling. We also had a point where we were told to high five our neighbors and say something encouraging, which was really sweet.

During the course of class, I dropped my towel, dropped a weight, and had one foot come out of the bike clip, so ... not my most coordinated class.
I did, however, manage to get the shoes out of the bike clips at the end of class, so that was a nice improvement. I also felt much better during this class than I did during my last cycling class (it might have helped that I ate breakfast first), which was great.

Overall it was an okay class, but I didn't love it.

Would I Go Back?
Honestly? Probably not, unless there was a theme I really really really loved. Comparing my two cycling class, I liked Flywheel better. I thought the instructor was better (although that could also have something to do with the class size), the studio was less claustrophobic, the lighting was more comfortable, and I really liked having stats to tell me how I was doing. As much as I'm not someone who likes to focus on the numbers, I still like having them.
Although Flywheel is more ClassPass credits ... gotta decide if I want to upgrade to the next plan so that I have the credits for it.

Re: Minnie costume dilemmas. Minnie is a princess. Only two Disney characters have ever asked me to get down on one knee and "propose" to them. Princess Aurora and Minnie. So Minnie counts as a Princess. Besides that Mickey will certainly say she's a princess.

Lucifer would also be awesome because he's just funny in that movie.

Re: Minnie costume dilemmas. Minnie is a princess. Only two Disney characters have ever asked me to get down on one knee and "propose" to them. Princess Aurora and Minnie. So Minnie counts as a Princess. Besides that Mickey will certainly say she's a princess.

Unfortunately, a cute interaction does not a princess make. Find me Minnie on the Disney Princess website.
(which isn't to say that I won't do Minnie, it just means that if I do Minnie, I'm not doing a Princess).
Vanellope counts because she chills with the Princesses in Wreck It Ralph 2.

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Ten Summary:

Running - 4 runs, total 20.62 miles, 04:12:46 hours
Run #1 - Monday AM - 3.60 miles, 46:27 minutes, 12:54 min/mi avg pace (Mile High Run Club)
Run #2 - Monday AM - 4.55 miles, 54:11 minutes, 11:55 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - Wednesday AM - 2.18 miles, 28:06 minutes, 12:54 min/mi avg pace
Run #4 - Sunday AM - 10.29 miles, 2:04:02 hours, 12:03 min/mi avg pace
Was talking to my friend Tzippy on Sunday night and she said she wanted to run commute home on Monday, and I said that if I was feeling okay after my morning run, I might join her. I had to go out and buy socks (I forgot to pack), but I still had fun with her.
Worked out really well because I got to sleep in on Tuesday.
Sunday's long run was good and pretty much exactly what I needed as my last long run of training. Definitely feel like I'm in a good place for the race.

barre3 - 1 classes
Class #1 - Thursday morning with Babette

Other Cross Training - 1 class
Tuesday PM - SaltDrop
Did this in instead of barre3. Was definitely worth it, even though I wasn't feeling it 100%. I love Dino's energy.

Week 11 Plan:
2/10 - Monday: Run, 30 minutes
2/11 - Tuesday: barre3 (PM)
2/12 - Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes (MHRC)
2/13 - Thursday: barre3 (AM)
2/14 - Friday: Rest
2/15 - Saturday: Rest
2/16 - Sunday: Run to barre3 + barre3

My experience on the sparkle skirts: I have used both Sparkle Athletic and Rock City Skirts. I like to wear my own compression shorts, so these brands work well for that. They are both lightweight and stay put. I tend to use Sparkle Athletic skirts more because I like that they run shorter, but if you like them longer, then Rock City Skirts is the better bet.

And I vote for Vanellope! I saw a few ladies dressed as her during MW this year and the cute beads & barrettes in their hair really made the outfit.

My experience on the sparkle skirts: I have used both Sparkle Athletic and Rock City Skirts. I like to wear my own compression shorts, so these brands work well for that. They are both lightweight and stay put. I tend to use Sparkle Athletic skirts more because I like that they run shorter, but if you like them longer, then Rock City Skirts is the better bet.

And I vote for Vanellope! I saw a few ladies dressed as her during MW this year and the cute beads & barrettes in their hair really made the outfit.
Rock City is running sales as they are going out of business. I like them as well.

Unfortunately, a cute interaction does not a princess make. Find me Minnie on the Disney Princess website.
(which isn't to say that I won't do Minnie, it just means that if I do Minnie, I'm not doing a Princess).
Vanellope counts because she chills with the Princesses in Wreck It Ralph 2.
In the Kingdom Hearts series, Minnie is a QUEEN. Totally works for the Princess Half.

Glad your training has been going well!

Thanks for the input!

I love that! I'm thinking about doing accessory DisneyBounds for the parks, so if I don't do Vanellope for the race (which I really need to decide ASAP because if I want to order a new skirt, I gotta order it now if I want it to show up before I leave), I may want to find cute candy hair things and do Vanellope inspired for the parks.

Rock City is running sales as they are going out of business. I like them as well.
What??? I didn't know they're going out of business. That's sad. I love their very character inspired skirts - they're way more Disney than just the plain colored skirts that most of the other companies make.

In the Kingdom Hearts series, Minnie is a QUEEN. Totally works for the Princess Half.
Still not the Disney Princess franchise ... but I'll take it. If I decide that I don't want to pay for rush shipping for something new, I'll probably end up doing Minnie.

Glad your training has been going well!

Thanks!

... And after today's class at Mile High Run Club (where I ended class running at 7:30 min/mi for 15 seconds...), I am officially in TAPER!! Yay! I may go to Krispy Kreme to celebrate (they just opened one near my office).

We're a week away from 5K day! Some merch previews would be nice, honestly, but it's runDisney so I'm not expecting anything. Still gotta print my waivers (gotta figure out which printer to connect to at work). I would like to share some basic planning info, but we'll see if I get to it, because I've completely overloaded my life and may not have time to breathe before the trip.

Also, please share your favorite non-dairy nut-free cupcake recipes that probably don't require me to buy any ingredients I don't already have (I already have to buy a muffin tin, since we don't have one in the apartment and I didn't want to take my mom's ... I may just buy disposable).

Right now I'm trying to decide between buying a Sparkle Athletic skirt with expo pickup or just buying a new Raw Threads top at the expo.
I'm worried that wearing a skirt I've never worn before will bother me (in life I'm very particular about skirt lengths and I never wear anything that short), but it gives me more options, I think. Raw Threads I'm limited by the skirts I already have (I think I'm wearing black for Pua, so all I'm left with is red polka dot, colorblock, and nyc), but I know it will be comfortable because I'd get one of the styles I already have (I've run a half in the hoodie and a marathon in the streets v, so I could do either of those).

Costume decisions are hard, y'all...

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Eleven Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 8.54 miles, 01:51:32 hours
Run #1 - Monday AM - 2.14 miles, 27:32 minutes, 12:52 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - Wednesday AM - 3.52 miles, 45:24 minutes, 12:54 min/mi avg pace (Mile High Run Club)
Run #3 - Sunday AM - 3.40 miles, 38:36 minutes, 11:21 min/mi avg pace
I was originally planning to do run to barre3 on Sunday, but I just haven't been feeling that lately. So I decided to just run with a friend, but neither one of us were really into it, so we made the decision to run to brunch. Food is a good motivator sometimes.

barre3 - 2 classes
Class #2 - Tuesday night with Kelly
Class #1 - Thursday morning with Kelly

Week 12 Plan:
2/17 - Monday: barre3 (AM)
2/18 - Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes
2/19 - Wednesday: barre3 (AM)
2/20 - Thursday: Rest + Expo
2/21 - Friday: Princess 5K
2/22 - Saturday: Rest
2/23 - Sunday: Princess Half Marathon

Race week is upon us! Still a lot to figure out trip-wise, but running-wise, I think I'm in a good place. Probably should have run longer today, but with some life stuff and the weather, I'm just glad I got out at all. Sometimes you just gotta take the small victories.

Last edited:
Right now I'm trying to decide between buying a Sparkle Athletic skirt with expo pickup or just buying a new Raw Threads top at the expo.
I'm worried that wearing a skirt I've never worn before will bother me (in life I'm very particular about skirt lengths and I never wear anything that short), but it gives me more options, I think. Raw Threads I'm limited by the skirts I already have (I think I'm wearing black for Pua, so all I'm left with is red polka dot, colorblock, and nyc), but I know it will be comfortable because I'd get one of the styles I already have (I've run a half in the hoodie and a marathon in the streets v, so I could do either of those).
I was also worried about the skirt length when I got it at the expo to wear at the half the following day. My main concern was that my thighs would eat such a short skirt, or it would twist around. I knew I was going to be wearing my own shorts under it, so I was not concerned about modesty or thigh chafing. I eventually decided it could be expensive experiment, but it was an expense I could eat if it was a disaster. If I hated it, I was prepared to toss it. Per the suggestion of the people working the booth, I wore it lower on my hips than I usually would. It turned out fine, and while I would not wear it for a normal run, it was a fun addition for the race.

Sometimes you just gotta take the small victories.
Truth!

I was also worried about the skirt length when I got it at the expo to wear at the half the following day. My main concern was that my thighs would eat such a short skirt, or it would twist around. I knew I was going to be wearing my own shorts under it, so I was not concerned about modesty or thigh chafing. I eventually decided it could be expensive experiment, but it was an expense I could eat if it was a disaster. If I hated it, I was prepared to toss it. Per the suggestion of the people working the booth, I wore it lower on my hips than I usually would. It turned out fine, and while I would not wear it for a normal run, it was a fun addition for the race.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm kind of in the same boat right now - I'd rather not buy a skirt that I won't like, but if I do, it's not the end of the world, I can just toss it. It helps that I'm considering it for the 5K, so there's less race to suffer through if it's uncomfortable.

I am way behind on my training for this weekend, at least i am only doing the 5k... so not a huge deal but still!\

You seem about ready! You will rock these races!

Princess Half Marathon Trip: Last Minute Update

Sorry for the lack of updates before now, I've just been focused on things outside of this trip. We really did not plan much for this trip. Oh well, it'll still be fun.

Here's what we have planned:

Thursday - Expo, Magic Kingdom
All the ladies (me + Beth + Beth's friend L) will be arriving at MCO between 8:30 and 9. Plan is for Beth & L to go to Starbucks and we'll meet up at DME. L's fiance, R, will be driving in and arriving later in the day.

I think the plan is to go to the Expo right away (and R will go on his own later). I might be wrong about that. I need to stop at Pandora to buy a bead and at Sparkle Athletics to hopefully pick up a rose gold skirt. I think Beth probably wants to stop at Raw Threads (as do I, always). And if rain is still in the forecast for early Friday AM (it was last I checked, but ... Florida), then I may want to see if I can get a cheap jacket somewhere that I'm cool throwing away if I get too hot.

Park for the day is MK. We've got a few FP+, but I really don't know what the day will bring.

Friday - 5K, DHS
All four of us are "running" the 5K, and we're doing it together. Probably will be mostly walking. I want to try to stop for all the characters if we can.
My costume is Pua-inspired (Pua headband, white top, white capris, rose gold skirt?), Beth is Hei Hei-inspired (green pants, blue top, red headband). I believe L and R were talking about Moana and Maui, but I don't know if that ended up coming together.

We've got FP+ for DHS. L & R have a FP+ for Millenium Falcon. Beth and I are not really big Star Wars people (which is why L didn't get us the Millenium Falcon when she got it for them), but I have been checking if I can get Millenium Falcon that overlaps with L & R. If I can, we'll do it with them, but if not, we'll skip. I'm certainly open to doing the ride, but I don't feel like I have to. (No plans for Rise of the Resistance at the moment)

Saturday - Rest/DHS?
Saturday is the day of rest for me and Beth. I believe L and R will be going to the parks, but I don't remember which park(s). Looking at the app, it looks like they have plans at DHS, so this may be when they do Rise of the Resistance. Or not. They may have already done it. They're Florida APs.

Sunday - Half Marathon, MK
Beth's first half! I'm excited for her, but also really nervous because she hasn't had as much time as she wanted to train for it. I know she'll be okay, but I'm just worried that it won't be super comfortable and will impact her park experience after the race. I don't know if L is planning to run with Beth or walk and/or run on her own. I will be starting with Beth and then going off on my own.
My costume is Ariel-themed - mermaid Raw Threads shirt, black skirt, black capris. Beth is not really themed. I think L was planning Fairy Godmother, but I don't know it it worked out in the end.
I would like to stop for all the characters if I can, but we'll see how that goes, because the early lines can get very long.

Our FP+ for post-race are at MK and include meeting Cinderella. I don't know how our schedule for the day will go, though, so I don't know if we'll stay at MK or go to a different park or call it a night early or what.

Monday - DHS, Epcot
Our FP+ for the day are at DHS (it's when I could get a Slinky Dog), but the plan is to head over to Epcot at some point. Epcot is pretty much a half-day park for us in general, so with the construction, I'm guessing we won't need more than a few hours there.

DME will probably pick us up around 6:30ish. I'm flying into Philly with Beth and L and then Amtraking back to NY on Tuesday, so I probably won't be back at work until Wednesday.

... And that's about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter