Light and noise considerations: restaurants for adult son with autism

Raemama

WDW is my hobby!
Hello there! My adult son and I are embarking on his very first trip to WDW in January. I’m doing everything in my power to ensure his experience is positive, with the understanding that there will be circumstances out of our control. My focus right now is meals.

I would love your recommendations for restaurants (QS and TS... not signature) that are more dimly lit and that don’t feature surprising noises. Background/conversation noise might be okay—but sudden, unexpected music/activity would not be optimal. I’ve got Sci-Fi and Flame Tree/Yak & Yeti Cafe on my radar already. Thank you in advance for sharing other ideas. :)

I recommend avoiding Rain Forest Cafe (both AK and DS locations) and the T-Rex restaurant at DS. My DD can actually do Rain Forest but the T-Rex was over-the-top loud.

We haven't stayed at POP for a while, but last time we were there they did a little parade with kids and toy instruments. It wasn't excessively loud, but it might bother him.

Avoid T Rex like it’s jammed with COVID 19 carriers who aren’t wearing masks.

50s prime Time can be disruptive.

I would actually avoid Sci Fi unless your son LOVES movie theaters. It can be loud in there.

Does your son use ear defenders? One of mine does and he carries them with him everywhere at WDW because you never know when a place might end up being too loud. A lot of times, there are large dining parties nearby that can be boisterous and do things like erupt in loud laughter suddenly. That happens to us a lot at restaurants, so he is always prepared just in case we end up with loud people eating near us.

At WDW, I would say avoid Via Napoli (my son said it was too loud and echoey in there and it bothered him a lot), TRex and RF Cafe, Chef Mickeys (LOUD music randomly starts playing), and Whispering Canyon.

Good ones to try are:

Garden Grill (this one is so low key and feels very private the way the booths are set up)

The Wave

Ale and Compass

Yak and Yeti (ask to sit upstairs)

Grand Floridian Cafe and the Gasparilla Grill QS

San Angel Inn and Hacienda Grill at the Mexico pavilion

Rose and Crown

Le Cellier

I’ve found it much quieter to book the last seating of meals if there is a break or transition (last lunch at Be our Guest, last Ohana breakfast) or the first time available for lunch at San Angel Inn since they don’t serve breakfast. The last meal of the evening starts out crowded and noisy but does get quieter as guests leave and aren’t replaced.

Not sure how much that will help this trip but maybe in the future when things are back to normal.

@ZJG/9D47
Thank you so much for the recommendations. Your idea to take the last seating (or first seating, as appropriate) is perfect.

I should have mentioned we’re staying at OKW (I opted for the most laid back resort that I could think of!).

I would actually avoid Sci Fi unless your son LOVES movie theaters. It can be loud in there.

Does your son use ear defenders? One of mine does and he carries them with him everywhere at WDW because you never know when a place might end up being too loud. A lot of times, there are large dining parties nearby that can be boisterous and do things like erupt in loud laughter suddenly. That happens to us a lot at restaurants, so he is always prepared just in case we end up with loud people eating near us.

At WDW, I would say avoid Via Napoli (my son said it was too loud and echoey in there and it bothered him a lot), TRex and RF Cafe, Chef Mickeys (LOUD music randomly starts playing), and Whispering Canyon.

Good ones to try are:

Garden Grill (this one is so low key and feels very private the way the booths are set up)

The Wave

Ale and Compass

Yak and Yeti (ask to sit upstairs)

Grand Floridian Cafe and the Gasparilla Grill QS

San Angel Inn and Hacienda Grill at the Mexico pavilion

Rose and Crown

Le Cellier

Thank you for all of these!! I’ll talk to him about the Sci-Fi aspect and about the ear defenders. He relies on headphones and music a lot, but it might be smart to invest in a set of those. Additionally, I had so hoped to go to Via Napoli, and your’s wasn’t the first time I’ve read not to go with those who are sensitive to sound. He LOVES pizza, but I think it’s definitely a ”no” for him as well.

I had hoped for a dinner at Storybook Dining Artist Point, but Garden Grill may be the one we do, especially because we don’t know when AP will be coming back online. Thanks again for the affirmations and recommendations.

I recommend avoiding Rain Forest Cafe (both AK and DS locations) and the T-Rex restaurant at DS. My DD can actually do Rain Forest but the T-Rex was over-the-top loud.

We haven't stayed at POP for a while, but last time we were there they did a little parade with kids and toy instruments. It wasn't excessively loud, but it might bother him.
Thank you! This is helpful. :)

Thank you for all of these!! I’ll talk to him about the Sci-Fi aspect and about the ear defenders. He relies on headphones and music a lot, but it might be smart to invest in a set of those. Additionally, I had so hoped to go to Via Napoli, and your’s wasn’t the first time I’ve read not to go with those who are sensitive to sound. He LOVES pizza, but I think it’s definitely a ”no” for him as well.

I had hoped for a dinner at Storybook Dining Artist Point, but Garden Grill may be the one we do, especially because we don’t know when AP will be coming back online. Thanks again for the affirmations and recommendations.

He may actually not like the pizza at VN anyway. I have one who does and one who does NOT. They use fresh mozzarella and so it has a completely different texture unlike normal pizza. It gets kind of chewy and gummy as it cools and that is a huge issue for my younger son with oral sensitivity and texture issues. He ordered meatballs and bread last time we went.

@ZJG/9D47
Thank you so much for the recommendations. Your idea to take the last seating (or first seating, as appropriate) is perfect.

I should have mentioned we’re staying at OKW (I opted for the most laid back resort that I could think of!).

I’d love to stay there sometime but haven’t gotten the chance. I’m a park open to close kind of person and would just want to stay at the resort if there. I’m not sure how OKW is set up, but Mousekeeping and the grounds crew can be pretty loud in the mornings if on a bottom floor or near their work base at each building (the linens are dropped off outside each building at the values then carts moved around and the ground crew uses loud leaf blowers and washers.) You might be able to request a quieter room before you arrive if this is an issue at that resort.

If you do want specific seating times, it is really important to make reservations the day they open (180 + length of stay?) to get the best chance of preferred times.

You can always ask when you arrive if there is a quieter table not in the main pathway or close to the buffet or drink machines and letting them know you are willing to wait a bit.

Like others, I also recommend The Land for a character meal and I think it is open now.

It might seem like excessive requests but I couldn’t survive a Disney trip otherwise and this makes it enjoyable.

During non-Covid Times, I also don’t recommend being in World Showcase during the evening. There are stumbling and loud drunks everywhere tripping and bumping into everyone. It is as miserable as the MK right after a parade.

Hi! My son is 22 with autism and we have been to Disney multiple times. He loves it immensely and tolerates the noise and sensory issues because he is in his favorite place😄. We always take the early supper times slot. I know not to make him hangry lol. At magic kingdom we go to Plaza Inn. In Hollywood studios we go to 50s prime time. Prime time is really busy and loud though. He tolerates it because he loves the fried chicken! In Epcot we have been in various restaurants and have not had had any issues with any of them. In Animal kingdom we go to Flame Tree BBQ. The key for us to make an early supper time. Like 430 or 445. Then we eat by 530 and we are out of the restaurant before it gets really busy! Let me know if any questions!

Just here to add that Garden Grill is *highly* recommended by our family! It is one of our most anticipated meals and a "must do" at EPOCT every time we visit.

Our (adult) daughter and I are (in)famous for sneaking off to Disney World every January (including this past one) for a couple of weeks to play and have fun, and go shopping, and drink Adult Beverages! We typically try for 2 trips per year, but for 2020 I think we will be lucky to go again this coming January...

Back to Garden Grill! If he rides "The Land" prior to eating at Garden Grill, he may see some of the very foods being grown that are in your meal! (Not to mention, it's just a neat little boat ride!

The loveliest part of all is that (for us) the entire dining experience takes about 1 rotation of the restaurant. It is "all you care to eat", but instead of a traditional buffet line, the server will bring out more of whatever you want. If there is something on the skillet that you know neither one of you will eat, you can also tell them to leave it out so the food won't be wasted. The service there has always been wonderful for us, and the food is fresh and very tasty! There is one section (as you rotate back around to the front) where the animatronic dog from "The Land" can be heard barking over and over, however, it doesn't happen suddenly - you hear it as you come around, and it gets louder, but it is rhythmic and repetitive, and does not happen suddenly. Remember that the Garden Grill sits directly above The Land ride, so it kind of reflects the ride underneath! It is not dark, or dim - it is "regular" lighting. The characters tend to be Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale, and the interactions (pre-COVID) were always tableside, and you could take selfies with them, and they would sign autographs. Chip & Dale especially would create fun interactions where they might "steal" a waiter's tray or some other fun distraction, but it typically was not noisy per se. I don't know how they are handling the characters here now; I presume you won't get the interactions that we saw before the pandemic, however.

At EPCOT we also like to dine outdoors (even in January) at Katsura Grill in Japan/World Showcase - there are 2 outdoor dining areas as you walk up on the ramp side, and often there are Disney Ducks that like to "visit" the diners who sit outside on the patio just outside the main doors! It is very peaceful up there, with waterfalls and koi ponds, and the food is my personal favorite meal at WDW, every time, hands down. I try to sneak in at least one lunch and one dinner there to bookend my trip! The interior of the QS itself brightly lit, but the outdoors section has both sunny and shady areas. In "normal" times, the lower terrace is very popular just before fireworks; the upper patio outside the doors has a more obstructed view of the lake.

The Plaza at MK is an excellent choice - and another one of our family's "must do" dining spots. Our (adult) daughter has to have her birthday lunch there every trip, or I will never hear the end of it; we have pictures of her birthday lunches there every year going all the way back through her childhood! Standard lighting here, but not as bright as outdoors certainly.

At Hollywood Studios, PizzaRizzo might be a good bet - typically upstairs (if it is open) is quieter than downstairs, and there is an elevator. This past January, we spent an lovely, relaxed lunch there; we sat up on the second floor for more than 45 minutes and just relaxed after having some pizza! Again, standard lighting, but there is one side where you can sit away from the windows and it feels less bright. If he likes Star Wars, Ronto Roasters may be a bit of sensory overload but it's a lot of fun! Docking Bay 7 is also in Galaxy's Edge, and while it doesn't have a lot of loud sharp noises, if it is crowded with other Guests, it can feel noisier. It is *very* immersive, and we felt like it represents some of the best theming we have seen at a Disney QS ever.

Animal Kingdom has very little open right now that I would recommend; that might be the day that you find a QS you like, and then a warm, happy little corner somewhere to dine al fresco!

At Disney Springs, I can highly recommend Wine Bar George (yes, they have food, as well as Adult Beverages); it tends to be quieter and more chill than the average Disney Springs table service restaurants, especially mid-afternoon. It is darker inside on the first floor in the daytime, the second level is brighter; we tend to stay downstairs simply because it is closer to the wine! Moriomoto's is fantastic as well, but try for a late lunch/early dinner seating there; the later in the evening, the louder the bar area gets. It is not dim, (there are floor-to-ceiling windows) but is again less bright than outdoors, and you can sit towards the back, where the high banquettes will help block some of the light and make it quieter.

From what I understand, Oliva's at OKW is not currently open and serving, but if they are in January, it is such a lovely, relaxing, peaceful place. As with all of our favorite places, we tend to run by there for either a late lunch/early dinner when it's very slow, and so have been spoiled, both by the food and the waitstaff :)

If you are able to get over to Wilderness Lodge (short boat ride from MK) you will find that Roaring Fork (the QS inside the Lodge) as well as Geyser Point (the QS that is lakeside) are both relaxed and pretty easygoing. Geyser Point can be a bit noisy if there are sporting events on TV, but that is typically later in the evenings. Because it is open-air, it can be bright in the daytime. Roaring Fork has an expanded outdoor patio that is shady and quite lovely even in January (quartz heaters in the ceiling bathe you in warmth) as long as it isn't too windy or rainy. There is also a small dining area indoors for Roaring Fork, and it is not as bright as outdoors; going between meals you will often find it nearly empty.

So many of the places that I would normally recommend are currently closed; we have already decided that if we do try for a January trip ourselves, we will likely breakfast in the room every day, just to have one stress-free meal. Probably the hardest part right now is knowing what will/won't be open in January - we already know that things will likely still be quite different than normal, and a lot of our favorites will be closed. One of our strategies on days when one or both of us is just feeling overwhelmed by the "Disneyness" of it all is for one of us to grab a QS meal while the other one holds a spot (outdoor dining table or bench) and we purposely look for areas that are less busy, so it's often the tables that maybe don't have the best view, or are a bit further away, but you get the peace and quiet to enjoy your meal and refresh!

I don't know what DoorDash and UberEats are doing in Orlando right now regarding deliveries to Disney World - it may be possible that you could order food delivered to your room at OKW from some of his favorite chain restaurants as well.

I hope you all have a lovely trip! I so enjoy running away with my daughter every year to Disney World; it's become a cherished tradition!

The key for us to make an early supper time. Like 430 or 445. Then we eat by 530 and we are out of the restaurant before it gets really busy! Let me know if any questions!

Thank you—this is a really good idea. My son (27) generally eats twice a day and we could make it work to eat lunch as early as possible and dinner as well. I’ll noodle on that for a bit. Thanks again!

During non-Covid Times, I also don’t recommend being in World Showcase during the evening. There are stumbling and loud drunks everywhere tripping and bumping into everyone. It is as miserable as the MK right after a parade.

Is this true even during non-festival time periods? I’ve not seen any of this behavior myself, but I certainly don’t go often enough to know. Thanks for the warning!

Just here to add that Garden Grill is *highly* recommended by our family! It is one of our most anticipated meals and a "must do" at EPOCT every time we visit.

At EPCOT we also like to dine outdoors (even in January) at Katsura Grill in Japan/World Showcase - there are 2 outdoor dining areas as you walk up on the ramp side, and often there are Disney Ducks that like to "visit" the diners who sit outside on the patio just outside the main doors!

The Plaza at MK is an excellent choice - and another one of our family's "must do" dining spots.

At Hollywood Studios, PizzaRizzo might be a good bet - typically upstairs (if it is open) is quieter than downstairs, and there is an elevator.

Animal Kingdom has very little open right now that I would recommend; that might be the day that you find a QS you like, and then a warm, happy little corner somewhere to dine al fresco!

From what I understand, Oliva's at OKW is not currently open and serving, but if they are in January, it is such a lovely, relaxing, peaceful place.

If you are able to get over to Wilderness Lodge (short boat ride from MK) you will find that Roaring Fork (the QS inside the Lodge) as well as Geyser Point (the QS that is lakeside) are both relaxed and pretty easygoing.

I hope you all have a lovely trip! I so enjoy running away with my daughter every year to Disney World; it's become a cherished tradition!

Okay—so first of all—thank you for such an in-depth email. You have confirmed many thoughts I had AND given me another idea of visiting Wilderness Lodge... I know he would like it there. (I’ve definitely got time/space in our itinerary where we might do a little resort hopping, if he would like.)

Since the dining plan isn’t currently available and may not be by January, I’ve decided that we won‘t have a character meal, but if it comes back, we will definitely put GG on the list. The other option I had thought of was the last seating of Story Book (or is it Storybook? Make up your grammatical mind, Disney!) Dining at Artist Point... where I would ask for the quietest table available. At any rate, it‘s moot now because I’ve firmly decided no character meals because of the upcharge.

My plan is to come up with several alternatives for each meal time that we’ll be having outside our room. I will make an ADR for each breakfast and lunch, and list alternative QS options. (He will not know about any of this, and I’ll simply guide us according to his emotional state.) We’ll be having a breakfast snack (yogurt/fruit/protein bar/etc.) and may end up not eating any breakfasts out. I’ll need to be careful about the no-show charge for ADRs—but I think I can handle that part.

We’re definitely going to Japan to explore, and I feel having a snack at Katsura is a must-do... that way we have a rest/quiet period. And, your idea for getting a QS meal and finding a quiet spot is perfect... I’m thinking that asking DS to find and secure the spot, and me getting the meal might be the best option.

Olivia’s is open! And we’re definitely going there for a late dinner on one of our evenings. :)

Again, thank you for taking the time to post on my question—I really appreciate it! I do hope you will be able to go in January... we’re going the week of the 11th—maybe we’ll be there at the same time!

I have an autistic kid who loves movies so we go to Sci Fi (along with GG, etc = many suggested on here). We went to Sci Fi just after reopening and the sound was eerily quiet. You could hear it but nothing like before. I asked why it was turned down and was told they always thought it was too loud. Do not know of course if still that way - just throwing that out there.

Is this true even during non-festival time periods? I’ve not seen any of this behavior myself, but I certainly don’t go often enough to know. Thanks for the warning!

It's not that prevalent. I have literally never experienced this at WDW, ever. I have been there during F&W several times. I've been to WDW over 25 times. I hear these stories but it has never been my personal experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter