LIVE from WDW - A Fourth of July Split-Stay Spectacular!

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
LIVE From WDW

A Fourth of July Split-Stay Spectacular!
image_zpsqxaebysq.jpg

Hello all! I've been pretty busy lately, but I thought it'd be a fun idea to reconnect with my DISboards friends by doing a live trip report of my latest trip to Walt Disney World. I'll warn you in advance I'm not much of a photographer, so photos will be somewhat limited, but I figured it would be fun at least to share some updates and some of my thoughts about what's going on at WDW, but first, here are the basic details of the trip!

7/3/15 to 7/6/15 - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
7/6/15 to 7/10/15 - Disney's Polynesian Resort

I'm spending the first few days with family (they leave the evening of the fifth) before meeting up with friends on the night of the sixth for the rest of the week. That means I'll also get some solo time at WDW, which I've never got to experience as a solo traveler before. Also new for me this trip is the concept of the split-stay. I've never been a big fan of it, because the idea of unpacking then having to repack to just unpack has never really appealed to me, but given how everyone's travel plans fell, I didn't really have a choice, so we'll see how it works out.

With all that in mind, let's get going!

Last edited:
Day One - Friday, July 3, 2015 - Arrival and Downtown Disney

Got in around 8:50pm or so to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort. Some showers were rolling in, so I quickly scurried into the lobby to check-in while the others waited in the car. I haven't stayed at CSR much, so the resort still feels very new to me. I love how the colors pop yet are subtly complimented by Spanish touches. And that lobby area is, by far, the most elegant of the Moderates. While it's no Grand Floridian, it's nice and has a good vibe.

Anyways, check-in went smoothly with us getting our request to be in the Cabanas section. Not only that but we got in the building closest to El Centro! We unpacked our bags from the car and dropped them off at the room before heading to DTD.

image_zpshnzxo6ka.jpg

Now, we had 9:30 reservations for House of Blues, and considering that we left the resort about 15 minutes before that, I thought making the reservation would be very unlikely. After an unimaginable traffic jam getting into the Orange Garage at DTD, we got to HoB at about 10:15. Even though I thought it was past when dinner service ended, they sat us without hesitance.

image_zpsrsltvxib.jpg

I was really surprised by HoB. The atmosphere was upbeat, as I expected, but the food was very good, better than I thought it would be. Plus, the service couldn't have been any better. Our server was incredibly friendly, and the food came out in a timely manner. And, again, it was delicious!

image_zps6meazzci.jpg

There was fantastic live entertainment too, as one would expect from a place called the House of Blues I suppose. Overall, the whole experience was a great way to start off the trip!

image_zps1mlk7op3.jpg

Afterwards, we took a walk around DTD. Of course, I had to take one of my last pictures of DisneyQuest before it closes sometime next year. Anyways, DTD's transformation into Disney Springs is looking good. With all the construction walls, it's still very crowded and feels even more so, but I'd say a visit is worth it. Just take the bus!

image_zpssm46710e.jpg

We made it all the way down to the Marketplace where we grabbed some Italian Ice (the stand on the West Side has relocated to the Marketplace within the last few weeks). The rainbow flavor (red, white, and blue) was perfect for Fourth of July, plus it was a good dessert to munch on while others shopped in World of Disney.

I will say I really enjoyed the vibe at DTD and the shopping seems to be getting better (though I'm not much a shopper so I assume my opinion on that is worthless). Now, I'm off to bed for the night. Tomorrow, Independence Day, we'll be hitting MK. Hoping to arrive before noon after having breakfast at CSR. Not expecting much in terms of rides (other than our three FP+) but seeing the fireworks and just being with family will be plenty of fun!

Last edited:

Day Seven - Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hasn't happened yet!

Hey, I think split stays are the best! I understand there is extra work to do more unpacking and repacking, but the fun of experiencing different themes is so worth it. Also seems like the best of both worlds that you get a few days with family and then a few days with friends. I'm planning a trip like that for next year. Happy 4th to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter