Live shows - any updates on when they will return?

Shellyred8

I'd rather be at Disney
I haven't seen much discussion on this and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors on when the Live shows will start up again.

I REALLY missed FotLK during our last trip!

No word. Equity union has resolved their issues so that increases the chances but doesn’t look like Disney wants to go thst route just yet.

I'm hoping maybe since the crowds are picking up and there are not many attractions available that they will consider bringing the shows back. I bet you that would help with DHS.

I wouldn't expect live shows with singing to be back before places like Broadway and the smaller live theaters are able to reopen. If the show can be done with lip sync that might allow for safe performing, but live singing likely won't return until January.
I think Disney shows will open before Broadway or small local theater shows. Broadway is looking at an extremely long down time due to the size and claustrophobic seating in those theaters. Disney can much easily space people out in the BatB theater or others before Broadway can.

I think Disney shows will open before Broadway or small local theater shows. Broadway is looking at an extremely long down time due to the size and claustrophobic seating in those theaters. Disney can much easily space people out in the BatB theater or others before Broadway can.

The issue is as much the aerosols from singers as it is the audience. Remember masks keep things IN not OUT, so the audience wearing masks isn't a means of protecting them from aerosols from performers. The recommendations so far have been no singing for the foreseeable future. As a performer myself I am watching ALL the recommendations on this closely, I'd like to get back to doing what I love sooner than later, but safely.

We went to a local performance of Mary Poppins the musical recently and some of the actors in the show wore the face shields. Surely they could do something like that for Finding Nemo without distracting too much since we're mostly looking at the puppets anyway

Universal has live singing performances - ie frog choir - if they can do it, Disney can if they desire. They prob are trying to keep expenses down now.

It seems like interest has increased marginally and maybe people are traveling more. Overall, the demand is still extremely low.

Couple weak demand and a capacity restriction, it doesn't incentivize Disney to add entertainment options. I still kind of expect 1 or 2 shows to return to DHS before the end of the year, but that's about it for a while.

It seems like interest has increased marginally and maybe people are traveling more. Overall, the demand is still extremely low.

Couple weak demand and a capacity restriction, it doesn't incentivize Disney to add entertainment options. I still kind of expect 1 or 2 shows to return to DHS before the end of the year, but that's about it for a while.
the fact that we know they were starting to block the shows differently to meet the safety demands tells me there was an interest in reopening them but then something just made Disney go "nope, not yet" and they halted that

Universal has live singing performances - ie frog choir - if they can do it, Disney can if they desire. They prob are trying to keep expenses down now.
A lot depends on blocking of the show too though. IIRC the frog choir is easily spaced out to protect both the audience and the performers. And the performers wearing shields doesn't necessarily impact the interaction between performers. Not every show can be performed that way and i'd venture that being able to perform a show without huge changes in blocking or quality is as important as any cost saving measures.

A lot depends on blocking of the show too though. IIRC the frog choir is easily spaced out to protect both the audience and the performers. And the performers wearing shields doesn't necessarily impact the interaction between performers. Not every show can be performed that way and i'd venture that being able to perform a show without huge changes in blocking or quality is as important as any cost saving measures.
Frog Choir had choreo that brought them closer together and close to the audience so they did change the blocking and the masks are optional to the performers that day, they can chose to wear them or not, if one decides to wear them then they all have to
On the note of singing, I saw where the Dapper Dans are back. They are staying on the Trolley for now, but I'd guess this similar to the Frog Choir as far as the kind of show.
DD are performing at the Train Station, trolley and the bridge over the walkway from FL to AL next to Country Bears

the equity perfomer at Savi's came back, corrrect? Hopefully that is the start and they slowly add back more entertainment

Though I know singing isn't great so probably hard to bring back things like "singalongs"

Frog Choir, et al at Universal are in face masks. That’s a factor in Disney not bringing them back, as well. For some reason Disney doesn’t want performers in them.
I get the characters for M&G, but I’d rather see a live show than not.

Wait times are increasing two and three-fold when comparing to pre-Labor Day.

HS especially would benefit from a couple of shows reopening. Indiana Jones with its outdoor giant amphitheater would be fantastic. Could they also use the Fantasmic space for some live entertainment during the day?

With shorter hours, high ticket prices, and rising crowds, they owe guests a little something to do when all rides are at 50 minutes+ within the first hour of operation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter