Lizards and such

Penny McMouse

Mouseketeer
When I'm in Florida I always stay second floor or higher because I'm scared a lizard or something will get in our room. I'm okay with them in the wild but in my room I will scream like a first time rider on Tower of Terror. It's happened before.... Is this precaution necessary at a Disney resort?

Lizards (geckos) in FL have no fear of heights. Being on the second floor or higher makes no difference to them. Just keep the door closed.
Very true. We were on the top level at the POP last Summer and saw them scurrying about on our level. They didn't bother us and we didn't ever see any in the room.

In all the years I've been to Disney ( over 20+ ) times I've only seen 1 in my room. It was at Poly when we had a ground floor room. It's true, you will see them around the resort but if you ask for a 2nd floor or higher I'd feel better.

In all our visits... never one in our room. 👍
So happens that today while on my lanai I saw a little tiny one skittering across one of my pots. I’ve never seen one so tiny... it was so cute! I see many of them, they ve never bothered me.. until today lol.
One minute I was saying aloud, oh look a baby gecko when this larger one scooted across and ATE him. I was So Stunned! Ugh!

We did some research and found out that when they are thirsty... as in, not enough water to drink.. they eat other ones! Eek... they have totally freaked me out now. Told hubby .. starting removing them as you find them.

Funny story - Years ago, there happened to be a gecko that snuck into our 2nd-floor room at Pop. It hid behind the dresser, then the fridge, then disappeared. We called the front desk and they sent maintenance over to help us get it out. Well, they moved the dresser around, dismantled the fridge, and couldn't find it. We could not sleep there, and the front desk ended up moving us. Geckos are totally harmless, we just didn't want to sleep knowing that it was somewhere in our room. They're are usually easy to catch and release (I'm a South Florida girl so it's something my dad and I have always done in our house) but you have to find them first! So no, your precaution isn't totally necessary but if this happens to happen to you, just give the front desk a call and they'll save you :-)

I live less than 30 minutes from WDW on the second floor of an apartment building. There was a lizard climbing my wall close to the ceiling this past Tuesday. No idea how it got in and I have no idea where it went.

This is Florida. We have lizards....everywhere.

Yeah they can climb but you are more likely to find them lower to the ground so get a higher floor if for no other reason than for piece of mind. In all our trips spanning nearly 40 years I have only once seen a lizard in our room. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus they will be more scared of you and will try to stay away from you.

From my BWV room, Nov 2019. I was saved by the maintenance guy. On the 3rd? floor. Not afraid of them but I couldn't catch it to evict it and I didn't want to sleep with it in the room. This is not the first time to have a critter in the room, but it is the first I've not been able to catch.

I live less than 30 minutes from WDW on the second floor of an apartment building. There was a lizard climbing my wall close to the ceiling this past Tuesday. No idea how it got in and I have no idea where it went.

This is Florida. We have lizards....everywhere.
Better than the scorpions we have in Arizona lol. We have lizards outside but I've never seen any in the house.

From my BWV room, Nov 2019. I was saved by the maintenance guy. On the 3rd? floor. Not afraid of them but I couldn't catch it to evict it and I didn't want to sleep with it in the room. This is not the first time to have a critter in the room, but it is the first I've not been able to catch.

Well that's proof enough for me that it doesn't matter if we're on the first floor or not.

I grew up in Vegas and we had scorpions there too. Always had to remember to check shoes before putting them on. I’ll stick with lizards.
I have always wanted to live in Florida but my husband doesn't want to because of the gators. It doesn't matter that we have scorpions and coyotes lol

Just a frog tip I learned the hard way...if there is a frog either on your door or within several feet of your door, shoo it away before opening the door or it might hop inside and become quite difficult to remove.

We had a lizard in our ground floor room at all star sports once, like 20 years ago. I was able to shoo it back out the door. It’s definitely a real (although pretty rare) possibility.
It might not calm your nerves but be assured they are completely harmless and neat little creatures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter