Locking your luggage... Yes or No...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Do you lock your luggage?

If yes what type of locks? Our friends suggested that we get these tear away style locks, so if they have to get into the bag, they just bend it off and it can not be reused so you know right away if someone has been in your luggage and you can address it while still at the airport...and also it save them not cutting the lock off. My DH's friend that travels all the time also suggested these...

Thoughts?

You mean like a tamper evidence seal? The kind that looks like a zip tie but can be broken? If I was going to fuss with anything like that I'd just do the cheapest version of that possible. If you're able to bring clippers or scissors you could even stick a regular zip tie on there. Luggage locks are basically useless, though; it's possible to force open a zipper with a ballpoint pen and then zip it shut again without leaving a mark. I wouldn't really worry about it in the airport system anyway; I've never had anything stolen out of a checked bag even when I traveled to Russia and two of my bags went missing for several days. When the TSA has opened my bags it has been very very obvious immediately on opening the bag; aside from the note left on top of my stuff, they also left everything disarranged. If you're very concerned and want to know whether your bag has seen any tampering, just take a photo of the way your stuff is arranged inside before checking it, then open the bag before you leave the airport and compare what you see to the image.

Really, I'd just focus on making sure any valuables were in my carry-on.

Use a TSA lock, they are sold everywhere and relatively inexpensive. TSA has the needed key and IF they open your luggage, they will leave you a note.
I’d not place anything valuable in your checked/locked luggage and place that in your personal item and/or carry on.
Safe travels!

I agree with @a1tinkfans I have been travelling transatlantic for over 15 years. I always use the TSA approved locks on my checked bags.
1. Its a deterrent, most bag thief's are opportunistic, and in an airport situation have limited time. They are not going to waste time on a bag which has a lock when there are other bags which dont have locks.
2. The bags trundle along miles of travelators on their journey around the airport from the check in desk to the plane. Bags get stuck all the time. Having the main compartment of the bag locked with a proper TSZ lock means there is less likely hood of the zip of your bag getting stuck and ripping your bag. So many unlocked bags arrive at the bag collection carousel ripped open.

Also just want to say in over 15 years of transatlantic travel, I have never had my bags opened without my consent or had anything stolen

OP here,

Heading out to some shopping for our up coming trip... TSA approved locks it is... Thanks so much...

Can airport personnel abroad open TSA-approved locks? I thought only American security people had the key. Not objecting, just wondering if they'd end up cutting them off.

Can airport personnel abroad open TSA-approved locks? I thought only American security people had the key. Not objecting, just wondering if they'd end up cutting them off.

As far as I know only American TSA need access. I have had my checked luggage checked at an European airport BUT the check was done at checkin. After I had checked in, before my suitcase went on its journey a security officer asked to check my bag. I was taken to one side and I opened my bag and the check was done with me watching.

The same when you arrive in a European airport. The bag claim carousels in European airports are air-side, ie before you enter the general public area. There are security and customs personnel watching everyone as they collect their bags and exit to the general public area. All the bags are scanned before they reach the bag claim carousel. If the security and customs personnel want to check a bag, they will let the person collect it from the bag claim carousel and then stop them before they exit. The bag and person are then taken to one side and the bag is opened with the person watching.

The TSA locks are pretty much the standard airline luggage locks. Its taken for granted that the locks can be opened by any airport security not just American security

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter