Looking for advice from fellow DISDads on upcoming trips

lchuck

DIS Dad #826
So we caught the Disney bug and are now going off the rails! We've got a longer trip planned for June 2017 where we will be purchasing APs for the family. This decision has led to us wanting to take a couple of shorter trips in Dec 2017 or Jan 2018, then again in Mar or Apr 2018, followed by a longer trip in June 2018. We have stayed offsite up to this point, but I'm looking for some help in staying onsite for the shorter trips. I'll probably start a separate thread for each trip as it get's a bit closer, but for now, please offer up any suggestions you might have for these trips:

Dec 17 or Jan 18 - Our family LOVES Christmas and we would like to experience Christmas at WDW, but my wife is a teacher and kids are both in school now, so our options are a bit limited. We could either do a long weekend in December, where my wife and kids would miss no more than a day of school/work and we squeeze in a MVMCP or we could take a 4-5 day trip where we would visit sometime the week of New Years. Supposedly all of the Christmas decorations are still up the week after New Years, but would that provide enough of the Christmas experience? Also, I know the week between Christmas and New Years is crazy busy, but how is the week after? Finally, I'm looking for suggestions for on-site accommodations. I've done a little bit of looking around and might like to try a moderate or possibly deluxe, if we can get a decent price, or I could be talked into renting DVC points if you think that's the better way to go.

Mar 18 or Apr 18 - When we went this past May/June, we were able to experience the Flower and Garden Expo at Epcot and LOVED it. However, since my wife has only finished the school year before Memorial Day 1 time in the past 15 years, we likely won't be able to get to it as part of our May/June trip again. We would like to take a short weekend trip, staying only 2 nights (Fri, Sat) and spending most, if not all, of our time at Epcot for F&G. Also, to throw a bit of a wrinkle in, I have recently begun running longer distances again, and am thinking about doing the Star Wars half marathon in conjunction with this weekend trip. This would be an adults only trip, so I'm looking for advice on what resort might be best to stay at for an Epcot/marathon visit and also if any of them are more adult oriented than others. Also, am I crazy to think I can run a half marathon, take a shower, then spend the day walking around Epcot with my wife looking at topiaries and gardens? :crutches:

TLDR: The family has gone Disney crazy and we need help!

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have on ANY of these ramblings!

Sorry about the delay in responding to your questions, I just noticed the thread. Can't help it, I'm dim witted.

Right now your ties to the school calendar limit getting deals because that is when everyone goes to Disney. Plus you will face peak crowds and prices. If I read your first question correctly on the December or January trip, if you wait until the 18th of January most if not all the decorations will be down. If it is around New Years, then you will have the decorations up, but also crowds and prices. If you can go December 17, you get the full effect of Christmas at Disney and the crowds are just starting to build. As far as resorts, budget will dictate your choices. The Deluxe Resorts will be the best decorated but all the resorts do Christmas. If your budget indicates a Moderate but you want to see what the other resorts are doing, it is easy and doesn't cost anything. One thing I like to do is to get on the monorail and tour the deluxes that way. You could also add in a nice lunch or dinner to your resort hopping. Same can be done at the Boardwalk resorts.

For the Spring trip, any of the EPCOT resorts will obviously give you prime access to EPCOT and easy walking distances to the gate. You can almost come and go as you please. They are also very adult friendly with lots of stuff to do in the Boardwalk area. Check with the Swan and Dolphin because they often have deals for teachers.

I don't run but my daughter and many of the guys around here do. She goes easy at the parks leading up to the race and depending on how she feels afterward she could be ready to hit the parks full bore or take it easy a bit. Guess you will just have to figure out your pace in the parks after the race. Good luck if you decide to do it.

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any other questions.

Sorry, I got in a hurry when typing all of that out and the dates were confusing. For the Christmas trip, we are looking at going for a long weekend (Thurs night-Sun night or around that - Probably Dec 7-10) primarily to experience all of the Christmas holiday offerings Disney has. I'm OK with splurging a bit on the resort, so we're looking at either the Poly or the GF. Any advice on which would be better for our family (kids will be 7 & 9) and also any advice on renting DVC points vs just staying on the "hotel" side through Disney? I like your idea of a resort tour with a lunch or dinner, we'll definitely be doing that. Thanks again for the help in planning!

I like POLY only for the closeness to the TTC, but at Christmas you cannot do any better then the GF, it is just so great during that time of year.

You can't go wrong with either but agree, the GF at Christmas time would be special. Lots of Victorian Christmas activities and feel at the resort. Sounds like a great trip.

Also, am I crazy to think I can run a half marathon, take a shower, then spend the day walking around Epcot with my wife looking at topiaries and gardens? :crutches:

Depends on your training buddy. I have done halves a few times and gone out after. However, looking at topiary may instigate a cramp that needs a sit down coupled with some cheeky craft ale. Especially in Epcot.
:drinking1

Dude - Not sure where are you coming in from. If you have RV look at Fort Wilderness. Great place to camp onsite. Also check out art of animation. we did 5 people, nice size rooms. Avoid xmas week to new years at all cost!!! as for running, well the only running I do is when I am chased!!!

as for xmas- not matter where you stay onsite you can visit other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter