Looking for advice on Kidney Stones

I had kidney stones about 30 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I had a stent and lithotripsy (two sessions). During blood work it was discovered that my blood calcium levels were high. Further blood tests were done and I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. One of the functions of the parathyroid glands is to regulate calcium; since mine were overactive too much calcium was in my blood and being filtered in my kidneys and causing stones. I had a parathyroidectomy and haven’t had another kidney stone. Maybe have your doctor check your parathyroid levels.

I had kidney stones about 30 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I had a stent and lithotripsy (two sessions). During blood work it was discovered that my blood calcium levels were high. Further blood tests were done and I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. One of the functions of the parathyroid glands is to regulate calcium; since mine were overactive too much calcium was in my blood and being filtered in my kidneys and causing stones. I had a parathyroidectomy and haven’t had another kidney stone. Maybe have your doctor check your parathyroid levels.
very interesting, i'll have to check into that. i've had stones for over 20 years, all that i've had checked were calcium. thank you

I have had several kidney stone procedures where a stent was left in for about a week.

I don’t know if the experience for female anatomy (me) is different from male anatomy.

I did not feel like I had to pee all the time.

I did not feel like I had a urinary tract infection.

The only time I had pain when peeing was when the dr had checked my bladder while doing ureteroscopy. Pain only lasted one day.

Sometimes it hurts for about a minute while taking the stent out. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt at all.

There are different types of stents, so I wouldn’t assume your experience will be like someone else’s unless you know it will be the same type of stent.

I have discomfort the entire time a stent is in. Not bad pain.

DH randomly announced that kidney stone "treatment" to me the other day, about the roller coasters. Thank goodness we haven't had the problem, but interesting cure! Hopefully, you have time to get home before it starts to work.

I have had several kidney stone procedures where a stent was left in for about a week.

I don’t know if the experience for female anatomy (me) is different from male anatomy.

I did not feel like I had to pee all the time.

I did not feel like I had a urinary tract infection.

The only time I had pain when peeing was when the dr had checked my bladder while doing ureteroscopy. Pain only lasted one day.

Sometimes it hurts for about a minute while taking the stent out. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt at all.

There are different types of stents, so I wouldn’t assume your experience will be like someone else’s unless you know it will be the same type of stent.

I have discomfort the entire time a stent is in. Not bad pain.

I appreciate the positive experience! I met with the doctor today and he said he is comfortable re-doing the IVP in two and half weeks and seeing what things look like. If it looks the same, we will go forward with the uteroscopy and the stent. He said it's a 50/50 chance that I'm having problems with inflammation from passing the stone. If that is the case it will resolve in another 2 weeks. He thinks I might have not passed the stone but I have scar tissue surrounding the stone (which is why I'm feeling so good right now). He said another possibility is I passed the stone and then created scar tissue in which case he still has to do the procedure. So most likely I'm doing the procedure in a few weeks but dh and I decided that if the doctor was comfortable waiting I would be foolish to rush into this with a 50/50 chance it could go in my favor.

Thanks for ALL of the support and help guys! I will let you know how things go.

My adult DD has had many kidney stones, along with many ER visits. One time they had to surgically remove one, then placed a stent in there, for a week, and then they removed the stent at the doctor’s office. She said she could feel the stent, and was glad to have it removed.

ETA: doctor gave her a prescription for Flomax, which has helped her s lot.

Last edited:

Had a few. If the doctor ran a CT scan and says there's a 5mm stone, believe him. He sounds like a jerk for not showing his work but it's hard to miss one that big.

Having a kidney stone is actually one of the few things everyone agrees hurts worse than childbirth. As a man, I don't make that claim lightly. The ER nurse my first time in normally was a OB nurse and told me so. I think I said something like, "It hurts as bad as I imagine childbirth to be but I'm sure it's not nearly so bad." and she says, "No, it's way worse." Since then I have tried to find actual people who have done both and without fail, the kidney stone was a worse experience.

I mean, I'm sure there are outliers on both sides. I passed a small stone that didn't do much more than give me a tummy ache for a day. But 5mm... whoof.

Had a few. If the doctor ran a CT scan and says there's a 5mm stone, believe him. He sounds like a jerk for not showing his work but it's hard to miss one that big.

Having a kidney stone is actually one of the few things everyone agrees hurts worse than childbirth. As a man, I don't make that claim lightly. The ER nurse my first time in normally was a OB nurse and told me so. I think I said something like, "It hurts as bad as I imagine childbirth to be but I'm sure it's not nearly so bad." and she says, "No, it's way worse." Since then I have tried to find actual people who have done both and without fail, the kidney stone was a worse experience.

I mean, I'm sure there are outliers on both sides. I passed a small stone that didn't do much more than give me a tummy ache for a day. But 5mm... whoof.

Whoof indeed. I am also in the camp that says kidney stones are worse than childbirth. I actually told the doctor in the ER - I want my epidural. I'm in wait and see mode right now. Still feeling good, drinking lots of water and hoping for the best but preparing myself knowing I'm most likely putting off the inevitable and will have to do the procedure.

My adult DD has had many kidney stones, along with many ER visits. One time they had to surgically remove one, then placed a stent in there, for a week, and then they removed the stent at the doctor’s office. She said she could feel the stent, and was glad to have it removed.

ETA: doctor gave her a prescription for Flomax, which has helped her s lot.
Thanks for the positive experience! I'm nervous about the stent and it really helps hearing good stories. I tried taking Flomax for 4 days but I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up. They said I had an unusual reaction to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter