Looking for beignet recipe

Amy1013

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm hoping someone out there has a recipe for the beignets they serve at Port Orleans. My kids are asking me to make some for the weekend, and I have the Cafe DuMonde boxed mix- which makes a decent beignet if you're in a pinch- but I bet the ones made from scratch are so much better. If anyone has a recipe they can share with me for these, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Amy

Here's Margie J's Disney Recipe site, you'll find many, many great recipies:

http://www.homestead.com/disneyrecipes/index4.html

here's the recipe from Margie J's Disney Recipies site:

Beignets
Port Orleans Food Court

1 pk Dry yeast
1/2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
7 c Flour
1 1/2 c Warm water
1 ts Salt
1 c Undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 c Soft shortening
Oil; for frying
Confectioner's sugar
In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater. Add 4 cups of the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and thoroughly blended. Beat in the shortening, then add the remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating it in with a spoon until it becomes too stiff to stir, then working in the rest with your hands. . Cover and chill overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 2 1/2" squares. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle heavily with confectioner's sugar. Makes about 5 dozen. Dough keeps well in refrigerator for several days. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and punch down occassionally.

Here are her comments after making them:

Made Beignets today for the Big Game

I finally tried making homemade Beignets, in honor of the Super Bowl in New Orleans. I used the Port Orleans recipe.

I know questions about the recipe have been asked recently. So, here's what I found:

* The recipe makes a dough very similar to a bread dough. It's very heavy and stiff when the final amount of flour is added.
* When the last of the flour (7 C total) was added the dough was placed in a bowl and covered. NO kneading.
* I did as directed and refrigerated the dough. It doubled overnight.
* The finished dough felt like a combo of bread dough and pie crust. A bit puffy but heavier in texture than bread dough.
* I rolled it out to 1/8" as directed for the first batch. Cut into squares.
* The cut squares do puff slightly if you let them rest a few minutes before frying.
* When fried the dough made nice puffs.
* The finished product isn't too sweet so don't be afraid to really cover those babies with powdered sugar.

Thanks dt!

:D

BTW, the Beignets were very tasty and the dough can be left in the refrigerator a few days. The recipe make a lot of Beignets. Half a recipe would be ok.

Thanks for the tip, Margie! I'm looking forward to trying this out Saturday. Like I said, I have the boxed mix, but they don't seem to puff up as much as the ones we've bought at Port Orleans. I'll try the half recipe amount since there aren't a lot of us in my family.

Amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter