looking for ideas for non disney family vacation

Each room sleeps 6--2 queen beds and a bunkbed. There may be smaller options available. For years we went with BIL/SIL and got adjoining rooms. This year, we'll have 2 rooms, because with our niece, it makes 7. Plus, DD/DNiece are coming in a few days later, and they really appreciate having their own room. We'll still see plenty of them.

We got an early-booking discount, but I think for 5 people for a week, then 2 people for 4 nights in a separate room, we're paying, ~$7500.

Thank you for the info on pricing and accomodations! I'm going to have to add this to our list of potential vacation spots :)

Camping in the Smoky Mountain National Park - as opposite Disney as you can get!! LOL We get to go next week - an annual trip - hiking, biking, sitting by gurgling mtn. streams, sitting around campfires eating s'mores.

Plus, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is close by. Disney is wearing a little thin with us right now, APs are finished, and no trips in the forecast anytime soon! Our kids always loved the mtns.

Camping in the Smoky Mountain National Park - as opposite Disney as you can get!! LOL We get to go next week - an annual trip - hiking, biking, sitting by gurgling mtn. streams, sitting around campfires eating s'mores.

Plus, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is close by. Disney is wearing a little thin with us right now, APs are finished, and no trips in the forecast anytime soon! Our kids always loved the mtns.

I've been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Smokeys dozens and dozens of times are a child myself or as an adult. Anything must dos for small children? I know we'll do the Aquarium, and Dollywood (they seem to have a nice kids area) and a bunch of restaurants, but any other thoughts, I'd sure appreciate.

I've been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Smokeys dozens and dozens of times are a child myself or as an adult. Anything must dos for small children? I know we'll do the Aquarium, and Dollywood (they seem to have a nice kids area) and a bunch of restaurants, but any other thoughts, I'd sure appreciate.

Those towns have almost 'anything' you'd want to do! Our children just loved being in the outdoors, playing in the streams, hiking and biking - a big playground for them! :)
So, I really don't know any other particular things to tell you about - sorry!

Like North of Mouse, our kids preferred the outdoors more than the tourist stuff but we did enjoy the Aguarium. We also went to the Ripley's Museum (I think it was a combo ticket) and IIRC it was geared towards younger kids with hands on stuff, so your little ones may enjoy that.
That was another one of our best vacations.

Smoky Mountains with kids-Cades Cove go early a.m. look for wildlife, explore a cave-we did Tuckaleechee Cavern.

Let them play as long as they want in the streams-shallow areas. They can catch and release minnows in a sand bucket, dig in the sand/dirt. Learn to skim rocks. Make up their own games. If they can handle small hikes, look for easy trails-stop by the great visitors center for info. They often have ranger led kid activities.

Look for lightening bugs. There's a display in the summer.

My kids all abt 8 and up liked Dollywood, but loved the nature activities much more.

https://www.mysmokymountainpark.com/things-to-do/park-itineraries

You could come visit us in St. Louis. Most of our cultural institutions are free for base admission (there tend to be charges for special presentations), and as Gumbo could tell you, we also have a lot of outdoor activity close by (caving, ziplining, rafting, etc.) There is also the MUNY if you want a taste of Broadway. (https://muny.org/100th-season/) We've also got the City Museum, which has to be seen to be believed, and a whole lot of good restaurants.

BTW, here is an article with a list of similar places to Rocking Horse Ranch; some are pricier than others. https://mommypoppins.com/kids/kid-friendly-destination-family-resorts-vacation

My family loved San Diego. There’s the beach, the zoo, and many museums.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter