Looking for ideas for pre-morning - Alaska ABD

hilarys

Hilary S
My family (me, DH, DS - 16, DD - 14) will be taking our fourth ABD trip this summer to Alaska. We are taking my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. My parents are 70 and very active. We are going in early June and the trip starts on a Monday. Due to kids sports schedules, we are only booking one pre-night. We will arrive on the Sunday evening before the trip starts so we will have all day up until the welcome dinner on Monday to do something.

So far a lot of the things that I have found that are close to Anchorage are already included on the ABD trips.

Any recommendations for things to do that morning/afternoon to complement our ABD experience from others who have done this tour or who have done land touring of Anchorage area.

I recommend the Trolley tour of Anchorage. It gives you a great overview of the city and the areas around it, and the drivers are usually pretty fun.

https://anchoragetrolley.com/

You pick it up at the Log Cabin Visitor's Center which is easy walking distance from the Marriott.

Sayhello

We loved the zoo! There's a shuttle from downtown right to the zoo - very easy. Great walking paths, nice animal habitats.

We did the 2 hour City Tour with Salmon Berry tours. It's a little more in depth than the regular trolley tour. Our guide was very knowledgeable and a former Disney cast member. I would be happy to answer any questions, you might have.

we did both the trolley tour and the zoo. highly recommend both. there was also a farmer's market while we were there that was really cool if it is there when you are check it out.

Born and raised in Anch:
Just be warned that the zoo is small, and “far” from downtown (Anchorage isn’t huge). It does have mostly Alaskan animals tho, so it’s a decent place to see them if you’re so inclined.
Idk what’s on the ABD schedule. A lot of visitors go to the AK native heritage center. There are several tourist shops downtown. Stay away from the east end of downtown (toward Gambell).

ETA: Just looked at the itinerary and saw the tour goes to the heritage center.
Glacier Brewhouse is a popular restaurant. Humpy’s is also popular (I have fam who make a stop every trip to AK, I just think it’s ok).
There’s also a musk ox farm in Palmer.

Last edited:
Glacier Brewhouse. Glacier Brewhouse. Glacier Brewhouse. oh, did I mention GLACIER BREWHOUSE

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am going to look into a few of these. I am intrigued by the fact that DCPhotoGal. Was able to fit the bear tour in before the ABD started. I had originally hoped to get in two nights early so that we would have a full day Sunday - I thought that would give us the opportunity to tour Resurrection Bay - it would have been a long, full day but doable. No way to fit that in on the day the ABD starts.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am going to look into a few of these. I am intrigued by the fact that DCPhotoGal. Was able to fit the bear tour in before the ABD started. I had originally hoped to get in two nights early so that we would have a full day Sunday - I thought that would give us the opportunity to tour Resurrection Bay - it would have been a long, full day but doable. No way to fit that in on the day the ABD starts.

Yes, I had tried to figure out a way to squeeze in the Resurrection Bay, too, and it just didn't work for us. I was surprised that we were able to make the bear trip work, but the tour company was super helpful, even giving us free shuttles to/from and keeping our luggage for the day so we didn't have to worry about switching hotels. There are probably other similar plane trips you could fit in during the morning. I really can't express how amazing it was to see the bears living in the wild, walking right past you as if they don't even notice (or care) you are there.

We very commonly go to Seward for the day. It’s only a couple hours from Anch (although I honestly hate the Seward Hwy). I’m from Anch and would much rather spend the day in Seward than the Anch area. We have taken guests almost straight from the airport down to Seward (or Homer), but it is a long day, especially if you’re flying far (and not feasible if you get in late).

Yes, I had tried to figure out a way to squeeze in the Resurrection Bay, too, and it just didn't work for us. I was surprised that we were able to make the bear trip work, but the tour company was super helpful, even giving us free shuttles to/from and keeping our luggage for the day so we didn't have to worry about switching hotels. There are probably other similar plane trips you could fit in during the morning. I really can't express how amazing it was to see the bears living in the wild, walking right past you as if they don't even notice (or care) you are there.
I am so sad that the Alaska trip no longer includes Resurrection Bay. It was such a highlight of the trip. I think the current itinerary is still great, it's just sad they took Resurrection Bay out.

Sayhello

We did the TB Alaska trip last summer. We didnt have a preday but a father son on our trip did and they went fishing somewhere in Anchorage. They said it was fun - super muddy which added to their bonding experience!
We had about 2 hours to wonder around town - I loved the things at Octopus Ink - https://www.octopusink.com/- I think you and your girl might too!
Michele

We did the TB Alaska trip last summer. We didnt have a preday but a father son on our trip did and they went fishing somewhere in Anchorage. They said it was fun - super muddy which added to their bonding experience!
We had about 2 hours to wonder around town - I loved the things at Octopus Ink - https://www.octopusink.com/- I think you and your girl might too!
Michele
Ship Creek? (It’s downtown)

Michele
:) I am glad you added the Octopus Ink part, can you imagine L fishing? Actually anyone in my family - my Dad would love it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts