Looking for suggestions.....wwyd?

kelso6290

Earning My Ears
Hello, newbie here!
We are in the process of purchasing a contract for 150 points at the Poly that we are buying resale. The contract is loaded with 300 points to use before August of 2018. It doesn't look like we will be closing until early December and then of course waiting for our membership number. We have a trip planned for the week Easter (March 25, 2018) that was scheduled before we started the process of becoming members. Will there be any chance to book anything with these 300 points by the time we actually take ownership? Is it a complete pipe dream to think we could get something for our Easter trip? What would you do? Thank you!

Oh also we are thinking of buying a 25-50 contract direct for the Poly as well once we take ownership of the resale contract, in hopes of being considered "full members". Do you recommend doing this asap?

It won't be hard to book a trip before the points expire, but March might be tough. If you're going to be buying AP's then I'd recommend buying a 25 or add on. We have no idea whether or not they will stop the 25 pt add ons so I'd suggest sooner is better than later.

Last edited:
I took a look a the RAT for the 25th-1st for you, looking at studios up through 2 Brs. It looks like SSR, OKW, and AKV-Kidani still have availability, but everything else is already booked up. I have no idea how much longer those resorts will remain available.
Yes, I would recommend adding on the 25 points as soon as you can. 1. You want to add them anyway. 2. Who knows how much longer the minimum will be 25? 3. Once the resort sells out, the price of a point will rise significantly.

I took a look a the RAT for the 25th-1st for you, looking at studios up through 2 Brs. It looks like SSR, OKW, and AKV-Kidani still have availability, but everything else is already booked up. I have no idea how much longer those resorts will remain available.
Yes, I would recommend adding on the 25 points as soon as you can. 1. You want to add them anyway. 2. Who knows how much longer the minimum will be 25? 3. Once the resort sells out, the price of a point will rise significantly.

Thank you so much for looking! Here's hoping we can snag something, closing can't come soon enough. Keeping my fingers crossed for AKV at least. We are actually going to Disney at the end of the month (yes we have a problem that I'm sure everyone here understands, we should have bought into DVC a while ago ) Anyway would it be worth it to try negotiating a smaller direct contract with them while we are there? Would they sell us 50, even though our resale contract isn't finalized? I'm guessing that would be too good to be true too :rotfl2:

I would say it's worth your time to go for 2 reasons. They will give you free fastpasses and a free gift card as long as you are not a DVC owner yet. Reason enough there in my mind. You can also set up a relationship with a sales agent, so that you can call him/her to add on the 25 points the minute after you have your member ID #.
Also, because you are on a tight timeframe, make sure to check out previous posts on the closing time thread to see how you can check the OCC website once your contract closes, as well as who and when to call to get your membership information early.

Last edited:
Your UY and ownership has to match on both contracts exactly, if you buy direct at the end of the month, the guide that you meet with will become your guide of record. You want your direct purchase to clear and note on the resale contract that it is an add-on to your direct purchase. Having additional DIS posts would make it possible for you to participate in a conversion and get guide referrals, I think that you need 10 posts.

:earsboy: Bill

With Spring Break during March, that can be a very busy time. After you close and get the points, I would look and see what is available. You may get lucky. You also may be able to get a reservation, just depends if its one where you want to stay or if you have a preference.
good luck!

Yes I think it is a good possibility you'll find something available for your March trip. At worst it might take some time piecing it together or might have to do a split stay but odds are not bad IMO to get something right off the bat. Then you can always try a waitlist if there's a different resort you might want to give a try.

As for the add on - personally I'd just wait until after closing on the resale. That's by far the easiest way to do it.

Agree with Kat - best to wait for the direct purchase until you have your membership number and are in the system. That way you can be better assured that the add on will be a true add-on. I might even wait until your Easter trip and buy on site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!