Losing interest in the main show

I listen to numerous podcasts with advertisements in them. But like a previous poster stated, they are sprinkled throughout and I can skip them easily (two clicks of the 30 seconds forward button is all it takes).

Which brings up a point I forgot to mention…
The fact the front ¼ of the show is essentially one long ad might be hurting them. I typically listen to the first 30 seconds to find out what they’re going to be talking about and then I skip to the 10-minute mark.
I agree with both points. Yes, other shows have ads, but they are scattered throughout. They don't lead off with 10 minutes of them. Imagine if you turned on a TV show at 8:00 and it was nothing but commercials until 8:10. You'd probably start tuning in at 8:10 instead.

I just started listening to yesterday's show about an hour ago in the car. During my 9-minute drive, I only heard advertising. When I turned it off, I had not yet gotten to any actual content. I would skip ahead but since I was driving, I couldn't do that. If there was a 30 or 60 second ad in the middle of the show, I wouldn't bother skipping it because I'd know it would be over quickly. So from a business standpoint, I would think the ads would reach a lot more ears that way.

I agree with both points. Yes, other shows have ads, but they are scattered throughout. They don't lead off with 10 minutes of them. Imagine if you turned on a TV show at 8:00 and it was nothing but commercials until 8:10. You'd probably start tuning in at 8:10 instead.

I just started listening to yesterday's show about an hour ago in the car. During my 9-minute drive, I only heard advertising. When I turned it off, I had not yet gotten to any actual content. I would skip ahead but since I was driving, I couldn't do that. If there was a 30 or 60 second ad in the middle of the show, I wouldn't bother skipping it because I'd know it would be over quickly. So from a business standpoint, I would think the ads would reach a lot more ears that way.

These days, I don't show up to a movie until 20 minutes after the time on my ticket. I don't want to watch previews for 20 minutes.

I also skip through the first 15 minutes of every podcast.

New listeners aren't going to have the patience to do that, though. They are turning people off without knowing it.

One critique - rapid fires seem forced. Wouldn't it be ok if there truly isn't any news - just skip a few folks? Last week - Corey didn't have one & was scrambling - just say - pass me this time. :)

I have never watched it on youtube - listen to the podcast only.

Do I think they could make changes? Sure, but I think a lot of people are going to have different opinions about what they want.

I do like that they're not like some other channels that will have ads about things they clearly are just making up or reading from a script with no personal testing or involvement with them.

Maybe just shorten the promo and housekeeping just a bit, or move them to a different portion of the show, but beyond that I don't have any issues with how they're running things now.

One critique - rapid fires seem forced. Wouldn't it be ok if there truly isn't any news - just skip a few folks? Last week - Corey didn't have one & was scrambling - just say - pass me this time. :)

I have never watched it on youtube - listen to the podcast only.
I was just thinking this. If there isn't anything to say, why do they have to all do a rapid fire? There are plenty of other podcasts, vlogs and videos out there about what treats are new this week at Disney, what stores have new coloured mugs, etc. But, I'd rather have the Dis's time on the videos spent on what they are great at, which is discussing what is happening at the Parks news wise and giving their opinions (where else am I going to hear about how the flow of people moving around Epcot is being affected because of the construction, lots of places are talking about it, but they were explaining about where it was in relation to the walk ways, etc). Over all, I love the show and appreciate the different view points they have, but I also wish that the advertisements weren't as long. But, all that to say, I get why they have the ads, it's a business, but it just seems a little long when they are still talking about ads 12 minutes into a show.

Last edited:
Thoughts:

-I don't mind the housekeeping being all up at the front because that means I can easily skip it without missing content. I just skip to when I see the first news story pop up on the YouTube video and I'm good. :) Seems like it's gotten longer and longer lately, though, and I can understand how annoying it might be for listen-only folks.

-Show always goes off the rails when Pete isn't hosting. John is a nice guy and good for discussions, but he is not a good host for reining things in. Craig is a good host for the Universal format, but his looser style just doesn't work for the WDW show, which isn't just him playing off of Ryno and them two doing their own thing. I think they should try Deni for the host the next time Pete isn't available. She is always prepared and professional and I think she might be able to do it.

-That being said, several people on the show need to be more prepared. If you're going to be on the show, prepare for 5 minutes before the show to make sure your Rapidfire is ready to go and you know what topics will be discussed. It's beyond annoying when people don't have their Rapidfire ready or don't even know what it is. Not gonna name names but we all know who they are. If you don't want to be prepared, then don't be on the show. Period. People are watching/listening, it's not just your "goof off with your friends/coworkers" hour. Cohosts need to follow Deni's example.

-The non-WDW stuff sprinkled in Rapidfire is annoying. Especially ABD/Cruiseline stuff that can go on the DCL or Dreams shows. Disneyland stuff is a little less annoying since it doesn't have a home anymore.

I do like that they're not like some other channels that will have ads about things they clearly are just making up or reading from a script with no personal testing or involvement with them.
I greatly respect Pete's committment and integrity here. He won't accept just any old sponsor. He won't advertise a product or service that he doesn't personally have considerable experience using. You can tell any time he talks about an advertiser that he is being honest and sincere in his praise and recommendations.

Thoughts:

-I don't mind the housekeeping being all up at the front because that means I can easily skip it without missing content. I just skip to when I see the first news story pop up on the YouTube video and I'm good. :) Seems like it's gotten longer and longer lately, though, and I can understand how annoying it might be for listen-only folks.

-Show always goes off the rails when Pete isn't hosting. John is a nice guy and good for discussions, but he is not a good host for reining things in. Craig is a good host for the Universal format, but his looser style just doesn't work for the WDW show, which isn't just him playing off of Ryno and them two doing their own thing. I think they should try Deni for the host the next time Pete isn't available. She is always prepared and professional and I think she might be able to do it.

-That being said, several people on the show need to be more prepared. If you're going to be on the show, prepare for 5 minutes before the show to make sure your Rapidfire is ready to go and you know what topics will be discussed. It's beyond annoying when people don't have their Rapidfire ready or don't even know what it is. Not gonna name names but we all know who they are. If you don't want to be prepared, then don't be on the show. Period. People are watching/listening, it's not just your "goof off with your friends/coworkers" hour. Cohosts need to follow Deni's example.

-The non-WDW stuff sprinkled in Rapidfire is annoying. Especially ABD/Cruiseline stuff that can go on the DCL or Dreams shows. Disneyland stuff is a little less annoying since it doesn't have a home anymore.

In complete alignment and agreement with your analysis. I watch via YouTube on my television and never skipped ahead as I usually watch live. But this week's episode caused me to hit that FF button on a delayed viewing.

Personal view: I have attended live studio shows for another local WDW vlogger/news source and perhaps Dis Unplugged will try and get a/the studio somewhere else in O-town; I think it's on their hit list.

I'm so torn on this topic. On one hand, I still really appreciate the podcast and how consistent it's been for so many years. As a podcaster that's only scheduling me and a guest, it's still a challenge to keep a steady schedule. Bringing together such a large group isn't easy. I also recognize that we're getting the podcast for free, and Pete is running a business. The housekeeping is necessary because that's how Dreams Unlimited Travel stays profitable. I've been a listener since the early days with the smaller group and Bob, and it still has that vibe when Pete is the host.

On the other hand, I do think having all the housekeeping up front can be a lot. When it's covering 15+ minutes of the show, it can impact the flow and make it a challenge to dive into it. I know we can skip it, but I usually don't when I listen. Also, when you have changes with the group, you aren't going to have the same chemistry as the early days. The landscape is also so different for news. I used to often find out about Disney news from the podcast. Now because of Twitter, blogs, other podcasts, etc., I'm often on top of the info before it shows up on the weekly show.

What I enjoy the most are the open topics that go beyond just the basic news. I also used to love Pete's solo shows, but I know those are now through Patreon. So the DIS Unplugged has changed to remain solvent, and that makes sense to me. I think there are tweaks that could make for a stronger show, but I'm glad that Pete and the gang are still out there giving it a shot.

I watch/listen for their personalities and opinions on what is happening at WDW. Yep, the news and facts about new treats and merch is everywhere but I don’t get the lively discussion and unique view points anywhere else. I enjoy the shows that go off the rails because I laugh more. And laughing is good.
To me, the housekeeping is part of the discussion. If I pay to see a concert, I have to sit through an opening act first. This is FREE, so sell away!
Other podcasts have tried discussion formats but fall flat for me because they either aren’t well produced, aren’t articulate, are condescending, or just plain boring. I appreciate the gem we have here!

The landscape is also so different for news. I used to often find out about Disney news from the podcast. Now because of Twitter, blogs, other podcasts, etc., I'm often on top of the info before it shows up on the weekly show.
This is certainly true. Between Facebook and Twitter, I see pretty much all Disney news within hours, sometimes minutes, of it occurring or being released. What I like about the DIS is the discussion that goes along with the headlines and the on-the-ground reporting from people who have actually been there.

-Show always goes off the rails when Pete isn't hosting. John is a nice guy and good for discussions, but he is not a good host for reining things in. Craig is a good host for the Universal format, but his looser style just doesn't work for the WDW show, which isn't just him playing off of Ryno and them two doing their own thing. I

Disagree, I prefer the show when either of them are hosting. I still like it with Pete but I find myself laughing a lot when they get silly if John or Craig are hosting.

I still love the show. Do I wait with baited breath for the new episode every Wednesday? Not like I used to. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I know pretty much everything going on with Disney. Most of that is thanks to them. I don’t think the staff is stale, I just don’t think the show utilizes their strengths. Ive said time and time again Ryno is the star. He is funny, friendly and speaks his mind. He is so underutilized. His enthusiasm is infectious. If he had a YouTube channel he could be making tracker bank.

I know some folks are losing interest, but the number of subscribers for the channel is going up. So whatever the format is, it's working for more people than it isn't. And good for the DISUnplugged team. Podcasting is straight up hard work. Plus, the Interwebz can be a really nasty place.

It's an enjoyable YouTube channel, I get it for free, and listening to a few minutes of ads is an exceptionally small price to pay. Besides, I like that the only advertisers they have are for products or services they have either personally used or work for/own. It's not like they are advertising for some rando corporation where they have no connection to the product or service.

I'm out in California and I tend to really follow the main show when I have a trip to Disney World planned. But we make it to Orlando once every 2-3 years. So when we don't have a trip planned, I tend to focus on dining shows (just cause) and DVC shows because I own DVC. I will still listen and watch the main show, but not as frequently as I do when I have a trip coming.

I know some folks are losing interest, but the number of subscribers for the channel is going up. So whatever the format is, it's working for more people than it isn't. And good for the DISUnplugged team. Podcasting is straight up hard work. Plus, the Interwebz can be a really nasty place.

It's an enjoyable YouTube channel, I get it for free, and listening to a few minutes of ads is an exceptionally small price to pay. Besides, I like that the only advertisers they have are for products or services they have either personally used or work for/own. It's not like they are advertising for some rando corporation where they have no connection to the product or service.

I'm out in California and I tend to really follow the main show when I have a trip to Disney World planned. But we make it to Orlando once every 2-3 years. So when we don't have a trip planned, I tend to focus on dining shows (just cause) and DVC shows because I own DVC. I will still listen and watch the main show, but not as frequently as I do when I have a trip coming.

They have a lot of content though, besides the weekly show. Having an increasing number of subscribers doesn't mean anything as far as the audience of that particular show goes. I suspect most subscribers do so for the short form videos they put out, none of which feature DIS specific ads.

I don’t think the staff is stale, I just don’t think the show utilizes their strengths. Ive said time and time again Ryno is the star. He is funny, friendly and speaks his mind. He is so underutilized. His enthusiasm is infectious. If he had a YouTube channel he could be making tracker bank.
truth

i know he does other shows and i was unaware until recently he's still doing disPOP on their patreon so shame on me for that one.

on the weekly show he gets buried too often

The plugs and "brought to you bys" don't really bother me. I'm not interested in the Magic Candle thing, but others may be. I do think housekeeping gets a little long at times and rapid fire is getting a little "old" because often it just feels like someone reading news that I could find and read myself. I LOVED this weeks freeform show - just a discussion, a relevant discussion, about Disney... perfect!!!!! I vote for more discussions versus rapid fire. Sure, make the discussion relevant and that obviously would include topics that are "in the news" - but talk about it. Don't just read. Share opinions, offer tips, etc. Don't just go through the motions. Agree about Pete hosting - he's the best and I couldn't make it without "and remember, stay out of the damn lakes."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter